1 Samuel 13:8-13 (NLT)
8 Saul waited there seven days for Samuel, as Samuel had instructed him earlier, but Samuel still didn’t come. Saul realized that his troops were rapidly slipping away. 9 So he demanded, “Bring me the burnt offering and the peace offerings!” And Saul sacrificed the burnt offering himself. 10 Just as Saul was finishing with the burnt offering, Samuel arrived. Saul went out to meet and welcome him, 11 but Samuel said, “What is this you have done?” Saul replied, “I saw my men scattering from me, and you didn’t arrive when you said you would, and the Philistines are at Micmash ready for battle. 12 So I said, ‘The Philistines are ready to march against us at Gilgal, and I haven’t even asked for the Lord’s help!’ So I felt compelled to offer the burnt offering myself before you came.”
13 “How foolish!” Samuel exclaimed. “You have not kept the command the Lord your God gave you. Had you kept it, the Lord would have established your kingdom over Israel forever.

King Saul’s men were quickly slipping away in fear from the Philistines. Saul had been told to wait seven days on Samuel the prophet before taking any action. Yet Saul could not wait as he had been instructed. He felt as though it were up to him to take action. He put aside the plan that had been given by Samuel. What Saul offered in offerings was not for God, but for his own sake. Therefore Samuel told Saul he had not obeyed God and his kingdom would come to an end.

As the Christmas season draws nearer there will be presents given requiring assembly. Now as many will do they will unload everything out of the package and start putting it together without reading the instructions. They may get to the end realizing there are parts missing or they have made a mistake in putting the product together. Because they were not patient to stop and read the instructions they lost valuable time and even possibly damaged what they were working on. God wants us to stop and take time to read and understand His instructions. He gives us His plans for life in His word, the Bible. But many of us will hurry through life and not take the time to read about the things we should do. Because of it we end up missing blessings God has provided just as Saul did. Stop and take time to read God’s word. Pray God would help you in the understanding of the scriptures. Pray His words you read can be applied to your life. Look to God for wisdom and understanding.