Amos 3:3
3 Can two people walk together without agreeing on the direction?

In this book of Amos God is calling the people to take notice of how they have been acting. They are given warnings about judgments which could take place if they do not repent and reform their ways. This verse is about being in fellowship, which is impossible to do if two people are going in opposite directions.

Generally I work on our company computers early in the morning when no one is using them. Recently I went into work driving on I-75/I-85 through Atlanta about 4am on a Sunday morning. I suddenly realized another car was on the same side of the interstate with me heading in the completely opposite direction. The car was coming almost straight at me just as fast as I was heading towards it. In those situations it is difficult to know what to do. You are not sure about the rational of the other person. You don’t know whether to move out of their way. But the worst part is you are traveling in opposite directions meeting each other at a speed around 110 mph which provides a great potential for error. It becomes a very chaotic moment. When a relationship is headed in opposite directions it creates chaos. Fellowship is difficult because someone is at odds with the other. And when it is the Lord you are at odds with it can only be one person in the wrong - you. Just like the car heading in the wrong direction you are heading for catastrophe. In those times you may think you are the only one who matters, but Isaiah 47:10-11 has these words, “You felt secure in your wickedness. ‘No one sees me,’ you said. But your ‘wisdom’ and ‘knowledge’ have led you astray, and you said, ‘I am the only one, and there is no other.’ So disaster will overtake you, and you won’t be able to charm it away. Calamity will fall upon you, and you won’t be able to buy your way out. A catastrophe will strike you suddenly, one for which you are not prepared.” Are you heading in the wrong direction? Pray and repent of your sins. Ask God to help you turn around and walk with him. Seek a fellowship with God that will add purpose to your life.