Proverbs 12:10 (Holman Christian standard)
10 A righteous man cares about his animal's health, but [even] the merciful acts of the wicked are cruel.

In these words of Solomon he declares a righteous man is concerned for more than just human life; he extends his concerns too even animals that he cares for. In comparison to a righteous man a wicked man is cruel and his actions are wicked.

A person can commit acts which are against God’s word, yet they may not be seen by others. These acts can be hidden from many, even though God always sees what is taking place. Romans 8:22 says, “For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.” God’s creatures knew what it meant for sin to be unleashed upon the world. They knew man’s heart could be cruel in secrecy and they would not be able to speak out against the injustice. Animals are God’s creatures and the extent to which one shows mercy to them shows how much they respect God. Balaam beat his donkey even though it was trying to save his life. When given the power to speak by God the donkey said, “What have I done to you that deserves your beating me three times? But I am the same donkey you have ridden all of your life. Have I eve done anything like this before?” Even man’s most tender mercies can be cruel. Pilate’s made this clear in his statement concerning Christ, “I will chastise him and let him go.” How can one be cruel and yet pretend to be kind? Pray the righteous prevail in life. Pray for those who are cruel that they might know Christ. Pray sin which delights in wickedness will be replaced by the love of Christ.