Romans 7:21-25 (NLT)
21 I have discovered this principle of life—that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. 22 I love God’s law with all my heart. 23 But there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. 24 Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? 25 Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God’s law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin.

Here we find the apostle stating a principle he has discovered; when he tries to do right, eventually he does wrong. And it can’t be argued he isn’t trying, because he says he loves God’s law with all his heart, so the motives are correct. But he finds his sinful nature still wants to make him a slave to sin. It causes him misery, but he finds hope in Jesus, because Jesus will free him from a life dominated by sin and death.

From 1861-1865 the Civil War was fought in the United States. What was a single country was suddenly pulled into two different directions. And even though many of the same goals, many of the same beliefs, and many of the same dreams and hopes were there, the country fought against itself. Its members warred against each other, one part struggling for dominion over the other. Sin can be pictured much the same way. A person suddenly finds themselves at war with themselves. Their goals, hopes, dreams and beliefs are still there, but sin is fighting within them trying to gain its independence. Sin is looking to defeat the person and bring death and destruction. It is a war the person feels taking place and if it were not for Christ it would be a hopeless battle. But Christ has already had victory over sin, He has won the battle and we can rejoice with Him. So while the battle still takes place the victory has been given and we have hope. Have hope in Jesus Christ. Pray God will strengthen you against the attacks of sin. Praise God that sin has already been defeated. And while it still feels the battle is taking place, praise God for His Son who has given us victory.