Acts 2:22-28 (NLT)
22 “People of Israel, listen! God publicly endorsed Jesus the Nazarene by doing powerful miracles, wonders, and signs through him, as you well know. 23 But God knew what would happen, and his prearranged plan was carried out when Jesus was betrayed. With the help of lawless Gentiles, you nailed him to a cross and killed him. 24 But God released him from the horrors of death and raised him back to life, for death could not keep him in its grip. 25 King David said this about him: ‘I see that the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me. 26 No wonder my heart is glad, and my tongue shouts his praises! My body rests in hope. 27 For you will not leave my soul among the dead or allow your Holy One to rot in the grave. 28 You have shown me the way of life, and you will fill me with the joy of your presence.’

God had just poured out the Holy Spirit on the believers that were present for Pentecost. As each spoke in their own language, God made it possible for everyone to understand the other as they declared how wonderful God was. The devote Jews were amazed and perplexed and others looked on and declared the people drunk. So Peter steps forward to preach to the crowd. And in the verses above, Peter tells them how their sins had nailed Jesus to the cross, but it was all in God’s plan. He quotes King David to let them know that David understood the salvation God had in mind and that there was a way of life waiting for them filled with the joy of God. There were 3,000 that came to believe in Christ that day.

Today there are many people who will tell you, “do this and you will find the way to happiness.” People start to think if I can just follow that secret I’ll know the way; but they keep looking and seeking never quite finding the joy and happiness. They may find the way to stay busy or the way to keep their mind occupied. Still something lacks and that something is a relationship with God. King David knew God had shown him the way to joy and happiness through a relationship with Him. David knew God could meet His every need and fill the voids of His life. His relationship was so close with God he knew that God was right there with him and he was delighted. He knew the hope of eternal life because of God’s promise of salvation and that promise was fulfilled through Jesus Christ. So if anyone knew the way, it was David. Do you know the way? Have you created a personal relationship with Jesus Christ? If you have then look for Him to fill you with the joy of His presence. Give praise to God and let your heart be filled with His love.