Romans 4:1-3 (NLT)
1 Abraham was, humanly speaking, the founder of our Jewish nation. What did he discover about being made right with God? 2 If his good deeds had made him acceptable to God, he would have had something to boast about. But that was not God’s way. 3 For the Scriptures tell us, “Abraham believed God, and God counted him as righteous because of his faith.”

Here the apostle is saying Abraham believed God. And because of Abraham’s unwavering faith, God counted him as righteous. Abraham was not trusting in good deeds he performed, but trusted instead in God. Abraham was a man of faith and demonstrated that faith when he went to sacrifice his only son because God had told him to. He knew God had given him a son, and he knew it was God’s right to take or give back his son. If only we could have the faith of Abraham just think what we could accomplish.

The following passages come from Benjamin Franklin’s autobiography, “It was about this time I conceived the bold and arduous project of arriving at moral perfection. I wished to live without committing any fault at any time; I would conquer all that either natural inclination, custom, or company might lead me into.” “While my attention was taken up and care employed in guarding against one fault, I was often surprised by another. Habit took the advantage of inattention. Inclination was sometimes too strong for reason. I concluded at length that the mere speculative conviction that it was our interest to be completely virtuous was not sufficient to prevent our slipping, and that the contrary habits must be broken and good ones acquired and established, before we can have any dependence on a steady, uniform rectitude of conduct. For this purpose I therefore contrived the following method.” So, what was it in his quest for moral perfection that Dr. Franklin quickly discovered? Basically, that it wasn’t all that easy to simply make a decision and have the results happen just because you want them to. As human beings we get used to doing things in a certain way. Those ways – those traits – become habit-forming. And, once they become a habit, whether positive or negative, they become very difficult to break. Perhaps impossible to break without a method or system. Dr. Franklin apparently thought he could, through superior will-power, simply get rid of bad habits or character traits, and take on good ones instead. He found, however, that it didn’t quite work that way. And most of us have discovered that same thing at one time or another. If the wise Benjamin Franklin had difficulty grabbing hold and keeping moral perfection, why do we think we can do the same? God wants us instead to place our faith and dependence in Him. We need to let him guide us and strength us as He sees fit. Pray God will build your faith in Him. Pray you will humble yourself before Him knowing that He knows what is best for your life.