Colossians 2:6-8 (NLT)
6 And now, just as you accepted Christ Jesus as your Lord, you must continue to follow him. 7 Let your roots grow down into him, and let your lives be built on him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness. 8 Don’t let anyone capture you with empty philosophies and high-sounding nonsense that come from human thinking and from the spiritual powers of this world, rather than from Christ.

In these verses the apostle is telling the Colossians they need to be firm in their beliefs about Christ. They are to let their faith grow strong and not be caught by the thoughts that come from this world. Instead their thoughts are to be on Christ.

Memories are powerful in our lives. The smell of cooked popcorn can fill the room and it will bring back childhood thoughts of walking into a movie theater. The pleasant memories of going with your parents to the movie and watching as they buy you popcorn, a drink and a candy bar so easily return. But memories can also bring back unpleasant feelings. When I was a child I had a prank played on me where a plastic spider was put on my shoulder and then I was told to look. It scared me at first because I thought it was real. Then a few days later a real spider crawled out from the sheets of my bed. It took a while before I felt comfortable getting into my bed because of the fear that had been created in me. Even though it has been over forty years ago those memories are still vivid. The world creates in us many thoughts, many memories, and many ideas that are sometimes just nonsense as Paul said. Some of us have had memories built because of our own sin or the sin of others. These thoughts weight heavy on our minds. Each time the memory is triggered it just spins us out of control with fear, guilt or shame. But as we are reminded by Paul so often, we need to be firmly rooted in the understanding of Christ so we are not attacked by our own mind. Even in 2 Corinthians Paul says, “We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ.” We have to let Christ be in control of those memories that are painful and hurtful. We have to turn loose of the things we were wrongly taught and focus instead on what Christ would have us do. Maybe your thoughts and memories have been corrupted by the world? Pray God would free you from the thoughts that hold you captive. Pray instead you can take hold of the painful memories and give them to Christ. Let Christ be firmly rooted in your life so nothing can pull you away from Him.