1 John 5:1-5 (NLT)
1 Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has become a child of God. And everyone who loves the Father loves his children, too. 2 We know we love God’s children if we love God and obey his commandments. 3 Loving God means keeping his commandments, and his commandments are not burdensome. 4 For every child of God defeats this evil world, and we achieve this victory through our faith. 5 And who can win this battle against the world? Only those who believe that Jesus is the Son of God.

The apostle has been urging Christians to show love. Here in the beginning of this chapter he talks about those who love God should also love His children as brothers and sisters. Love is action that comes by obedience to God’s commands. The believer is ready to defend against evil and is able to do so because of faith in God and Christ.

When I get in my car and place the key in the ignition every morning I have faith the car will start. There have been a few times in my life where my faith was weak because the car just wasn’t working as I thought it should. And there were other times I felt let down by my car because it didn’t start. But then the battery would get replaced, the car recharged and once again I had faith it would start. Faith is trusting when we have no way of knowing what will happen when we put that key in the ignition. Faith in God trusts when we put our hand in His hand; God will do what He says He will do. There are times our life just doesn’t seem right and our faith gets weak. We become fearful our life is just not going to go where we want it to go. Then things get better and we can see God at work recharging us, restoring us, and strengthening us. Once again we fell the confidence of God at work in our lives ready to carry us forward. It is in those strong moments we are able to defend against the enemy and show our love for others. Are you due a recharge in your faith? Pray God will strengthen you and show you He is there with you. Pray in your fear, in your desperation, in your loss of hope that when you are weak your faith will be made strong. God bless you and may we love each other as brothers and sisters in Christ.