Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 103 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 102 103
AskMe #1516867 08/17/07 06:32 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Matthew 14:15-20 (NLT)
15 That evening the disciples came to him and said, “This is a remote place, and it’s already getting late. Send the crowds away so they can go to the villages and buy food for themselves.” 16 But Jesus said, “That isn’t necessary—you feed them.” 17 “But we have only five loaves of bread and two fish!” they answered. 18 “Bring them here,” he said. 19 Then he told the people to sit down on the grass. Jesus took the five loaves and two fish, looked up toward heaven, and blessed them. Then, breaking the loaves into pieces, he gave the bread to the disciples, who distributed it to the people. 20 They all ate as much as they wanted, and afterward, the disciples picked up twelve baskets of leftovers.

There were 5,000 men present listening to Christ preach and probably an equal amount of women, plus children. The disciples had bread and fish they might normally carry to feed themselves, but it would hardly feed the crowd in attendance. The disciples wanted to send away the people, but Jesus told them they could feed the people. Jesus blessed the food and broke it up and the disciples gave it to the people. Afterwards there were twelve baskets of food left over.

This is an amazing story of a miracle, but even more so it was a lesson for the disciples. The disciples were probably tired and probably wanted to quit for the day so they could get something to eat; so they were ready to send everyone away. But Jesus thought about the people and their needs. Jesus told the disciples to feed the others. He wanted them to be thinking about the needs of everyone else and not just their own. Of course they immediately wondered where they were going to get the food from. They had already told Jesus they only had a small portion and the people needed to go back to the village to find food. Somehow the disciples forgot who they were with. They forgot how God had provided manna to the Israelites in the wilderness. They forgot the miracles Jesus had performed around them. Twelve baskets and twelve disciples, they were quickly reminded of God’s provisions when there was a leftover basket for each one of them. Each was holding a reminder of how God provides. Have you forgotten how God provides for our needs? Look around and count the blessings in front of you and then praise God for what He has done in your life. Praise His son for caring about us and wanting to meet our needs.

AskMe #1516868 08/21/07 06:38 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Galatians 6:4-5 (NLT)
4 Pay careful attention to your own work, for then you will get the satisfaction of a job well done, and you won’t need to compare yourself to anyone else. 5 For we are each responsible for our own conduct.

Here we find the apostle encouraging others to pay attention to their behaviors, actions and attitudes. Those who are able to complete the tasks in a good manner will find they do not have to compare themselves to anyone else for they have followed what God would have them do. It is each person’s responsibility to understand God’s desires and hold true to them in their life as we strive to be holy representatives of Christ.

I remember one day a teacher passed out a surprise test to all of us in our class. It was a multiple choice test. We were told we were not look on anyone else’s papers, nor were we to look up answers from our papers or books. She made it clear cheating was not acceptable. She told everyone to be prepared by having a pencil out on the desk. Then she walked around and placed the test on each person’s desk and told us to begin. It was a moderately difficult test of material we had been covering. You could tell some were looking around hoping they could see answers or perhaps find the answers on one of the wall charts in the room. Some struggled as they tried to recall answers to the questions. Eventually the teacher called time on the test. But instead of turning in the papers she said we would grade our own. We were to look up the answers and mark the ones wrong we had missed or omitted and circle the correct answer in red. Again some students took advantage of this by correcting their papers as they went. When everyone was finished the teacher said, “I passed out those tests so you could measure yourselves to know how much you understood the material we have been going over. There are some of you who cheated themselves by looking on others tests, or correcting your mistakes where now you don’t know what you forgot. The purpose in the test was that I wanted you to use this test for a study guide to remember what you didn’t know.” What a lesson the teacher taught about the satisfaction of your own work and not comparing yourself to others, but measuring yourself on your knowledge and character. God wants us to read His word, live our lives, and then go back and measure ourselves to His word on how well we are doing. Then we can study the parts we don’t understand and grow in our wisdom, correcting our mistakes along the way and not cheat our way through life.

AskMe #1516869 08/24/07 06:12 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
1 Peter 3:8-12 (NLT)
8 Finally, all of you should be of one mind. Sympathize with each other. Love each other as brothers and sisters. Be tenderhearted, and keep a humble attitude. 9 Don’t repay evil for evil. Don’t retaliate with insults when people insult you. Instead, pay them back with a blessing. That is what God has called you to do, and he will bless you for it. 10 For the Scriptures say, “If you want to enjoy life and see many happy days, keep your tongue from speaking evil and your lips from telling lies. 11 Turn away from evil and do good. Search for peace, and work to maintain it. 12 The eyes of the Lord watch over those who do right, and his ears are open to their prayers. But the Lord turns his face against those who do evil.”

In these verses Peter is teaching how a person should live in harmony with others. They are to be tenderhearted, keep a humble attitude. They should avoid repaying evil for evil, insults with insults and speaking lies against others. They are to do what is right, what brings and maintains peace. Peter says God is watching over the faithful and just, but He turns from those who do evil.

Today there is an article on Mother Teresa’s Crisis of Faith on the CNN news page. The article expresses the care and love she gave for others. In one point of her life she said, “"It is not enough for us to say, 'I love God, but I do not love my neighbor,'" she said, since in dying on the Cross, God had "[made] himself the hungry one — the naked one — the homeless one." Jesus' hunger, she said, is what "you and I must find" and alleviate.” When she spoke of the Christmas holiday she would say, “remind the world "that radiating joy is real" because Christ is everywhere — "Christ in our hearts, Christ in the poor we meet, Christ in the smile we give and in the smile that we receive." But the article goes on to show the points in Mother Teresa’s life where she struggled with her faith in God. At one point she said, “Lord, my God, who am I that You should forsake me? The Child of your Love — and now become as the most hated one — the one — You have thrown away as unwanted — unloved. I call, I cling, I want — and there is no One to answer — no One on Whom I can cling — no, No One. — Alone ... Where is my Faith — even deep down right in there is nothing, but emptiness & darkness — My God — how painful is this unknown pain — I have no Faith — I dare not utter the words & thoughts that crowd in my heart — & make me suffer untold agony. So many unanswered questions live within me afraid to uncover them — because of the blasphemy — If there be God — please forgive me — When I try to raise my thoughts to Heaven — there is such convicting emptiness that those very thoughts return like sharp knives & hurt my very soul. — I am told God loves me — and yet the reality of darkness & coldness & emptiness is so great that nothing touches my soul. Did I make a mistake in surrendering blindly to the Call of the Sacred Heart?” As the article suggests, some may think her faith is lacking, but in actuality her faith is strong. She pours out her heart to a God she cannot physically feel or hear. She lets Him know she struggles and she needs Him. She kept on in her life, serving God faithfully even though she questioned why at times. Peter said we must do what is right, which Mother Teresa did. And even though she might have questioned her faith even in prayer, God’s ears were open to her because she did right in His eyes. King David often struggled in the same way with his faith. Yet God said David was a man after His own heart.

AskMe #1516870 08/27/07 06:43 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Micah 2:11 (NLT)
11 Suppose a prophet full of lies would say to you, “I’ll preach to you the joys of wine and alcohol!” That’s just the kind of prophet you would like!

This is a warning about those who follow their own hearts to instruct others. Instead of looking to God for the answers they propose their own. In this verse the false prophet says there is joy in wine and alcohol. They forget to mention the problems and sins that could follow from the abuse of drinking alcohol. Mocking the statement, Micah says, “that’s just the kind of prophet you would like.”

Pyromania is when a person is obsessed with fire and its related effects. It is also an obsession with starting fires intentionally and waiting to see the effects. For the pyromaniac they feel it as a natural compulsion. It would seem unreasonable for anyone to encourage such a person to follow their passions to set fires. For most of us it would seem incomprehensible anyone would lead such a person in the wrong direction towards sin. Yet there are teachers and preachers in this world who would condone things which are wrong just because it seems the majority of people want to follow that path. It’s the same problem Micah had in his day. Prophets would speak favorable of things and not mention the sin that went along with it. Starting a fire might not be a problem, but burning down someone’s home definitely would be. So those problems need to be pointed out. Wine and alcohol in moderation might not be a problem. But for those addicted to alcohol there is a risk of addiction and destruction of family and job. Care must be given in telling people what is right and what is wrong. Pray God would send people committed to telling His truth. Pray people would speak up boldly and defend God’s word when others are ready to let things slide.

AskMe #1516871 08/28/07 06:26 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Galatians 3:19-22 (NLT)
19 Why, then, was the law given? It was given alongside the promise to show people their sins. But the law was designed to last only until the coming of the child who was promised. God gave his law through angels to Moses, who was the mediator between God and the people. 20 Now a mediator is helpful if more than one party must reach an agreement. But God, who is one, did not use a mediator when he gave his promise to Abraham. 21 Is there a conflict, then, between God’s law and God’s promises? Absolutely not! If the law could give us new life, we could be made right with God by obeying it. 22 But the Scriptures declare that we are all prisoners of sin, so we receive God’s promise of freedom only by believing in Jesus Christ.

Paul writes to the Galatians about the Mosaic Law and why it was given to the people. It was given as a mirror to show people their sins and their need for something greater. Moses was the mediator of the law. Mediators are used when there are two parties with different views and opinions and they need to be drawn together in agreement. But God made Abraham a promise without the need for a mediator. God’s promise was greater than the law and designed to bring freedom from sin.

It seems like anytime you turn on the news there is someone being charged for a crime. The law reflects the fact they have committed a crime that is identifiable. Most of those who are accused understand the laws and the consequences that go along with them, yet they continue in their actions. God gave man His laws and man continued to sin even though he was told what God expected. There is a judgment that comes for failing to follow the law. There is a judgment for sin. But God in his infinite mercy and grace provided salvation for sin. It was a promise made to Abraham. When we accept Christ as savior, Christ speaks up on our behalf saying He has paid the debt of sin and He justifies us before God. We are no longer held accountable. We don’t have to be on probation. We are pronounced free from the guilt of sin and set free. Praise God who loved us so much that He kept His promise to free us from the sins He knew we would follow. Praise Him for His Son Jesus and the debt He paid on our behalf.

AskMe #1516872 08/30/07 07:39 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hebrews 13:1-3(NLT)
1 Keep on loving each other as brothers and sisters. 2 Don’t forget to show hospitality to strangers, for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it! 3 Remember those in prison, as if you were there yourself. Remember also those being mistreated, as if you felt their pain in your own bodies.

The apostle reminds everyone they should love their brothers and sisters in Christ. Also, just by showing hospitality and love to others they could have taken care of angels watching over them; just as Abraham received angels who saved Lot from Sodom and Gomorrah. The apostle reminds them to remember those who are incarcerated as if they were in prison themselves.

Chuck Colson was the chief counsel to President Nixon. Because of his involvement with Watergate he was jailed. Once Chuck Colson was released he began a prison ministry called Prison Fellowship. The ministry reaches out to prisoners and their families. It also attempts to make reforms in the justice system. In 1993 he was awarded the Templeton Prize with a cash gift over a million dollars for his work to advance the causes of religion. The prize money was donated to the Prison Fellowship ministries and he has continued to donate all of his speaking engagement money to the ministry as well. Colson’s work came as a result of his own incarceration. He came to understand Hebrews 13:3, because he had been in prison. We all need to learn to reach out to others and share the love of Christ. We need to love our brothers and sisters who have fallen and show them grace and mercy as God shows each of us grace and mercy. God may have plans for many of those who are in prison. He may take others just like He did Chuck Colson and use them for His glory. Pray for those in prison and ask God to bring blessings into their lives.

AskMe #1516873 08/31/07 07:32 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Proverbs 31:4-7 (NLT)

4 It is not for kings, O Lemuel, to guzzle wine. Rulers should not crave alcohol.
5 For if they drink, they may forget the law and not give justice to the oppressed.
6 Alcohol is for the dying, and wine for those in bitter distress.
7 Let them drink to forget their poverty and remember their troubles no more.

Some believe Lemuel is King Solomon, but there is no solid proof. However Lemuel, means one belonging to god. So we have someone hopefully following God and giving advice about alcohol. He warns rules should not crave strong drink nor drink excessive amounts of wine. A ruler is to judge fairly, and give commands when necessary, but if impaired by alcohol they may not be able to do so properly. Their views on the law may become distorted, and anger may prevail as it does in some who drink and then the oppressed will not find justice. Strong drink was permitted for those dying and in pain. There should be compassion to those who are suffering and allow for that which can give them peace and comfort. Even those in bitter distressed are not discredited for using wine to help in their comfort. Christ gives freedom and even Peter learned there are things which might not seem acceptable that at times are accepted and ok to do. So Lemuel says allow the suffering to find some peace. It’s a word even for our modern medications that help those with depression and anxiety. God gave us wisdom, and knowledge that we can use as long as we use it the proper way and in a way that honors Him.

AskMe #1516874 09/04/07 06:10 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Proverbs 4:7 (NLT)
7 Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do! And whatever else you do, develop good judgment.

King Solomon who asked God for wisdom said obtaining wisdom was the wisest thing one could do. And from wisdom one should develop good judgment. In Ecclesiastes 12:13 Solomon said, “Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this [is] the whole [duty] of man.” In order to keep God’s commandments one has to first know them and second they must understand them.

People today confuse information with wisdom. There are great computers holding vast amounts of information. Search engines like Google can scour the internet and provide references to just about anything. You may have even heard someone say, “INFORMATION IS POWER”. But information in the hands of the unwise can go wasted. The wrong information can lead people astray. There is a requirement to discern good information from bad information and understand the difference. One cannot do that without wisdom. King Solomon had two women appear before him, each claiming a child to be their own. King Solomon had all the information about the child and two women, but it was his wisdom that was able to discern the truth from the falsehoods. It is like those who have information on Jesus. You can pass out a Gospel track that lists facts from the Bible. It puts information into a person’s hand. They hold there answers to questions they may have been seeking, but unless they allow wisdom to work in their lives to truly understand what Jesus has done for them all they hold is paper with information. Unless a person seeks for the deeper meanings in God’s word, they hold information but not the understanding of it. Pray God would fill you with wisdom to understand as you hear what He has to say.

AskMe #1516875 09/06/07 06:52 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Proverbs 6:16-19 (NLT)
16 There are six things the Lord hates—no, seven things he detests: 17 haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that kill the innocent, 18 a heart that plots evil, feet that race to do wrong, 19 a false witness who pours out lies, a person who sows discord in a family.

To emphasis the point of his wise words, Solomon says there are six things the Lord hates, but then he adds – no, seven things he detests. The listed sins affect other lives and not just the life of the person committing the sin. God hates sin, every sin, but these sins are hated by God in a special way for the impact they cause.

There have been many celebrities in the news who have committed crimes or offenses towards others. Yet there are those who will step up and justify the reasons for their sin. God doesn’t ask for us to justify sin. He asks that we acknowledge our sins and repent. Proverbs clearly points out some sins that cause pain to others: conceit for others, creating lies that hurt others , murdering another, the imagination of sin towards another, eagerness to sin towards another, making false statements about others, and one who causes discord in their own family and other families. A short list, but a list that includes some sin for which we are all are guilty. Pray people would see sin the same way God does. Pray we all would repent and turn towards God instead of hiding from our sins.

AskMe #1516876 09/07/07 06:54 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Amos 5:10-13 (NLT)
10 How you hate honest judges! How you despise people who tell the truth! 11 You trample the poor, stealing their grain through taxes and unfair rent. Therefore, though you build beautiful stone houses, you will never live in them. Though you plant lush vineyards, you will never drink wine from them. 12 For I know the vast number of your sins and the depth of your rebellions. You oppress good people by taking bribes and deprive the poor of justice in the courts. 13 So those who are smart keep their mouths shut, for it is an evil time.

Amos has been telling the people how they must prepare to meet their God. In these verses the corruption of the people is identified. They have gotten to the point of being unable to judge fairly because of their sins. There are those who scheme to become rich off others, but they will they will not get to enjoy their riches. Justice is lost and the poor and good people suffer. Those who are wise will learn to remain silent as they are wronged because honest answers and complaints will only make things more difficult.

In the news adjustable mortgage rates rise, delinquency in payments rise and new highs are seen in home repossessions. Those who became rich from lending to the poor at rates they knew would eventually become unbearable are finding themselves without a job and their companies folding. People have lost their ability to discern good intents from evil intents. Recently high school students have been arrested for innocently carrying knives in their vehicles they forgot was there. They face the possibility of loosing their future dreams as they receive felony charges. A 4th grade child arrested and handcuffed after handing over a knife to her teacher that her mother packed in her lunch to prepare her sandwich. It would have been better for her to have remained silent than to try and do what was honest and right. A state arrests 11 of its public officials for taking bribes and promoting fraudulent insurers. As you look at the events that are unfolding are they much different from the ones Amos described? Pray God would bring revival to this nation. Pray justice and discernment might once again prevail. Pray for the poor, the injured and the suffering that God would be with them.

AskMe #1516877 09/10/07 07:15 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Jeremiah 16:19-21 (NLT)
19 Lord, you are my strength and fortress, my refuge in the day of trouble! Nations from around the world will come to you and say, “Our ancestors left us a foolish heritage, for they worshiped worthless idols. 20 Can people make their own gods? These are not real gods at all!” 21 The Lord says, “Now I will show them my power; now I will show them my might. At last they will know and understand that I am the Lord.

Jeremiah has spoken to the people about the coming disaster of Judah and the punishment they will face. They have been told happy days will come to an end. Even the normal gaiety found at weddings will be no more as people mourn the loss of their freedom. Then in the verses above Jeremiah offers a pray of hope and confidence for the people. Jeremiah admits the people worshipped idols carved by their own hands. The he questions the nonsense by asking can people make their own gods. Jeremiah looks forward to when God will reveal His might and people will understand he is Lord of all.

As you pause to think about our time in history, has man found the harmony and peace has always been seeking? It’s something he desires in his heart, yet there are those who interrupt the peace, who bring chaos, death, and poverty to an area. Even in the good parts of the world people struggle with addictions and other problems which are the gods they have placed in their life to follow. The world struggles with war trying to fight off those who may be the captors or conquerors. Yet like Jeremiah we can count on God to prevail. We can trust God in that He has our best interest at heart. Pray like Jeremiah for the sins of those who have gone before us and have lead us to sin today. Pray God will reveal Himself to others and those others will spread His word.

AskMe #1516878 09/11/07 08:25 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Ecclesiastes 3:15 (NLT)
15 Whatever is has already been, and what will be has been before; and God will call the past to account.

Prior to this verse Solomon recognizes we must acknowledge God is in control of His universe. The sun rises and the sun sets. The moon changes it phases. There is a certainty in God one can count on. So Solomon says whatever the past or the future, God at some point will call the past into account.

The past is something we cannot escape from. Even if we may have forgotten parts of it there are others who don’t forget. Watch TV shows like Dr. Phil where you will see those who were hurt in their youth confronting the tormentor of their past. As they weave the tale of their youthful hurts they find out the other person does not even recall the events. One person spent their life tormented by things which happened, while the other moved forward never knowing the hurts even existed. How often have you had an argument with someone and suddenly you are remembering all the past hurts that have been inflicted upon you? Some of those hurts were not even caused by the person you are arguing with yet each painful memory comes back. And those painful moments drive the argument even more. Our past is a part of us we cannot escape. But there are things we can do to make the past better. We can forgive those who wronged us. We can repent from sins and acknowledge our faults to God. We can apologize to those we wronged and tell them we understand the hurt we caused even if we don’t remember the pains we caused. God at some point will call our past into account. We will be reminded of our sins. But Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior will step forward and say I suffered all the temptations, and I paid the price when you failed. I offer you my grace and my mercy and you are forgiven.

AskMe #1516879 09/13/07 06:51 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Philippians 1:27-30 (NLT)
27 Above all, you must live as citizens of heaven, conducting yourselves in a manner worthy of the Good News about Christ. Then, whether I come and see you again or only hear about you, I will know that you are standing together with one spirit and one purpose, fighting together for the faith, which is the Good News. 28 Don’t be intimidated in any way by your enemies. This will be a sign to them that they are going to be destroyed, but that you are going to be saved, even by God himself. 29 For you have been given not only the privilege of trusting in Christ but also the privilege of suffering for him. 30 We are in this struggle together. You have seen my struggle in the past, and you know that I am still in the midst of it.

The apostle concludes Philippians with these observations: One must live for the Gospel of Jesus Christ as if they were already in His presence; and one should not be intimidated by others, but should instead realize there will be struggles as they trust Christ. He concludes to say they have seen his struggle and he is still in the midst of it.

Maybe she was trying to humorous and thought she was just joking, but the censors for E! Telecasts have found Kathy Griffin’s comments during an interview for the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences offensive. She was quoted to say, “a lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award. I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus." She went on to hold up her Emmy, make an off-color remark about Christ and proclaim "this award is my god now!" While her comment offend many Christians there are others in the news recently that have offended ethnic groups and other groups with their comments. If we are to live as a person conducting ourselves in a manner worthy of Christ there is no room for crude and offensive comments about anyone. The Good News is to be preached in order that people may understand the love of Christ. How can others see the love of Christ if they don’t see love in us? There will always be those who will offend our savior and God. Even towards the end of time the book of Revelation says in 16:9, “Everyone was burned by this blast of heat, and they cursed the name of God, who had control over all these plagues. They did not repent of their sins and turn to God and give him glory.” As Christians we need to be careful in our speech to always honor God and Christ. We must understand others who are offensive that we might win them over to understand the mercy and grace of God. Let us live as though Christ we present with us as reach out as He did to those who needed to hear from Him.

AskMe #1516880 09/14/07 07:05 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Proverbs 14:9 (NLT)
9 Fools make fun of guilt, but the godly acknowledge it and seek reconciliation.

Vince Lombardi was one of the most successful football coaches in history. He has often been quoted from some of his inspiring speeches. One such quote was, “Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.” It relates well to the proverb above. A person can fall into the habit of ignoring their sin or they can fall into the habit of acknowledging it and seek to reconcile with God. It’s a choice each person can make. So do you want winning to be a habit or do you want to be defeated by sin? Pray and acknowledge the sins in your life. Ask God for His forgiveness for He is merciful and gracious to forgive.

AskMe #1516881 09/17/07 07:22 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Romans 7:21-25 (NLT)
21 I have discovered this principle of life—that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. 22 I love God’s law with all my heart. 23 But there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. 24 Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? 25 Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God’s law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin.

In these verses Paul says that he has identified a key principle in life. He says, “when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong.” Then Paul goes on to describe the struggle of trying to accomplishing the law, but finding that he fails because of the sin within him. He states a rhetorical question, “who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death” and then he gives his answer, “Jesus Christ”.

The key principle Paul learned uses the word “I” twice: when “I” try to do what is right; “I” inevitably do what is wrong. Paul has identified when he relies only on his own will, his own mind, his own body, his own power that he is not able to accomplish the good he desires to do. There is a power indwelling within him that makes him follow sin. He refers to this struggle as a war, as a battle that takes place in his mind. This battle is the desire to be what God intended for him to be versus the sin that compels him to do what he desires instead of what God desires. He really wants to be what God called him to be, but he finds his life is a struggle. But Paul has hope because he knows that while he is unable to keep all of the law, Jesus Christ did. And because of his belief, his faith in Jesus Christ he knows his life will not be dominated by sin. Note that he does not say his life will be free from sin, but that it will not be dominated by sin. People will continue to sin, but those who follow Christ, who hold tight to God cannot continue in their sins. Their life is not a habit of sin. Habits are formed after repeating things over and over again until it is no long a conscious action. Those who are of God the Holy Spirit speaks to them and convicts them of their sin. Like Paul he knows the sins he has committed. He has been convicted of them, but he has not made them a habit because he has learned to turn to Jesus Christ in his time of need. Pray we all depend on Our Savior Jesus Christ to get us through the sinful times in our life. Pray the Holy Spirit will continue to convict you and let you know Jesus Christ is there to help you overcome your sin.

AskMe #1516882 10/01/07 06:50 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Nahum 3:7 (NASV)
7"And it will come about that all who see you Will shrink from you and say, 'Nineveh is devastated! Who will grieve for her?' Where will I seek comforters for you?"

The city of Nineveh had been spared when Jonah spoke to them of God’s judgment and they had repented from their sins. But the city had fallen back into its evil ways, repenting of their repentance. The city had once again become an enemy of God and Nahum was warning the people of its destruction. God had trouble getting Jonah to plead to the city, and now God was saying where will I find comforters for you when the city is devastated?

The great city of Nineveh had been given a chance by God to repent and begin a new life. Even though Jonah did not want to preach to Nineveh because of its great sin, God sent Jonah to preach about their imminent fall from grace. The people realized their sins and turned to God and were spared the destruction Jonah wanted to see fall on the people. Jonah knew how great their sin was and he did not want to see God’s grace given to them. And here they were once again, another prophet speaking to them as they were about to be destroyed. This time the people had hardened their hearts against God and this time they were not willing to repent. In verse 19 Nahum speaks for God and says, “There is no healing for your wound; your injury is fatal. All who hear of your destruction will clap their hands for joy. Where can anyone be found who has not suffered from your continual cruelty?” God desires to give grace. God desires to see everyone repent of their sins and follow him. But God will not be mocked by those who receive His grace and then abuse it. Remember the words of the great hymn below:

Marvelous grace of our loving Lord,
Grace that exceeds our sin and our guilt,
Yonder on Calvary's mount outpoured,
There where the blood of the Lamb was spilt.

Grace, grace, God's grace,
Grace that will pardon and cleanse within;
Grace, grace, God's grace,
Grace that is greater than all my sin.

Sin and despair like the sea waves cold,
Threaten the soul with infinite loss;
Grace that is greater, yes, grace untold,
Points to the refuge, the mighty cross.

Dark is the stain that we cannot hide,
What can avail to wash it away?
Look! there is flowing a crimson tide;
Whiter than snow you may be today.

AskMe #1516883 10/02/07 06:16 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Proverbs 2:12-17 (NLT)
12 Wisdom will save you from evil people, from those whose words are twisted. 13 These men turn from the right way to walk down dark paths. 14 They take pleasure in doing wrong, and they enjoy the twisted ways of evil. 15 Their actions are crooked, and their ways are wrong. 16 Wisdom will save you from the immoral woman, from the seductive words of the promiscuous woman. 17 She has abandoned her husband and ignores the covenant she made before God.

King Solomon says follow wisdom if you want to stay from evil. Wisdom lets one know what is right and keeps one away from the things that are wrong. Lack of wisdom causes one to ignore their relationship with God. Lack of wisdom also causes one to follow evil ways that can lead them into immoral acts.

There is a billboard in Hollywood California that is promoting an internet dating website for those who are married. The billboard promotes adultery in marriage and there are some who justly want to see the advertisement removed. Even in a town that glamorizes affairs in movies it seems this promotion of immorality has gone a little too far. The website for the company says, “When monogamy becomes monotony.” Those who run the website make no apologies and even try to claim they are just trying to help people express who they really are. Their view is there are people with marital struggles who remain silent and this provides a place for them to come together with others to date outside of their marriage. King Solomon obviously had it right. There are those who enjoy evil and twisted ways and try to lead others down the same path. This website is saying, abandon your spouse, ignore your covenant with God and take the dark path ignoring wisdom. Pray God will open people’s hearts and let them be filled with wisdom. Pray they will see the truth and not the lies Satan has laid before them.

AskMe #1516884 10/04/07 07:09 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Romans 5:18-21 (NASV)
18So then as through one transgression there resulted condemnation to all men, even so through one act of righteousness there resulted justification of life to all men. 19 For as through the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, even so through the obedience of the One the many will be made righteous. 20 The Law came in so that the transgression would increase; but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, 21so that, as sin reigned in death, even so grace would reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Adam’s disobedience to God resulted in the condemnation of all men. Through one act sin was unleashed upon the world. Then Moses mediated with God to put forth The Law, which revealed man’s transgressions. But as transgressions were made fully known, the grace of God became more known. For people still committed sin, but God still provided grace to those willing to repent of their sin. Through the obedience of Christ grace was extended that all might be made righteous and grace became even greater.

Man has always tried to explain in his own way the ways of God. Ancient Greek Mythology says Pandora was created as the first woman. Her creation was to punish man. Out of curiosity she opened that which she was told not to open and released evils upon the world and left hope sealed in the box. But the truth is Adam understood what God had commanded him. Adam knew he was not to take of the fruit of the tree and his instruction should have been given to Eve. Eve was enticed with what she thought was going to make her equal to God and Adam followed her by committing his own sin; disregarding God’s command to him. But there was still hope and grace to be given by God. While Pandora may have left hope sealed away, God gave hope through his son Jesus Christ. It’s not a hope locked away, but a hope, a gift that is free to all willing to receive it. Thank God for the hope found in Jesus Christ. Praise Him that He extends grace even to those who do not deserve it in man’s eyes. But fortunately God is not man and His love for us is great.

AskMe #1516885 10/05/07 06:37 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Proverbs 5:1-4 (NLT)
1 My son, pay attention to my wisdom; listen carefully to my wise counsel. 2 Then you will show discernment, and your lips will express what you’ve learned. 3 For the lips of an immoral woman are as sweet as honey, and her mouth is smoother than oil. 4 But in the end she is as bitter as poison, as dangerous as a double-edged sword.

King Solomon speaks to his son as well as all young men. He wants to give them a wise understanding of life so they may be able to follow the right course of action when the time comes. He tells them of those who may try to seduce them with words that flow smoothly from their mouth. But he also warns the experience may be like that of bitter poison or a double-edge sword, which is capable of cutting in all directions.

Proverbs 5 addresses matters to the son of Solomon; the matter could have been addressed as a mother to a daughter. The words of wisdom is the temptation seems to hold promises sweet as honey, but that is not what it delivers. A young man named Hugh Hefner worked for Fortune magazine in the 1950s and left to start his own magazine. His magazine company opened a floodgate of pornography. Eventually cable TV and the internet brought more and more sexual content into homes. The message was it is ok to act out on sexual impulses without thought to consequences. Then people started to wonder why their lives were falling apart. The business Hugh Hefner started was not about educating people, or trying to enrich their lives, it was about making money. He had learned well how to build a fortune and make a profit off the temptations of others. The true agenda was hidden and there is a lesson with that, “THE TEMPTATION TO LIVE OUTSIDE OF GOD’S DESIRE FOR US IS COLORED TO LOOK GOOD, BUT LEAVES US EMPTY AND DAMAGED.” We buy the lie that the illusion is real. And once we have bought the first lie we buy another until we find ourselves in distress. Pray God would keep you from the temptations of the world. Ask that you would see sin uncolored, raw and exposed to God’s light.

AskMe #1516886 10/09/07 06:37 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Romans 13:12-14 (NLT)
12 The night is almost gone; the day of salvation will soon be here. So remove your dark deeds like dirty clothes, and put on the shining armor of right living. 13 Because we belong to the day, we must live decent lives for all to see. Don’t participate in the darkness of wild parties and drunkenness, or in sexual promiscuity and immoral living, or in quarreling and jealousy. 14 Instead, clothe yourself with the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ. And don’t let yourself think about ways to indulge your evil desires.

In these verses the apostle reminds those he is writing not to waste any time living in immorality. Instead they are live as though Christ were present with them. Their lives are to be shining reflections of Christ. They are to remove the dirty sins of their life and turn their thoughts away from indulging sinful desires.

Vladimir Villisov survived a heart attack at age 65. After his heart attack he designed his own special coffin to hold him and what he considered his prize collection of pornographic magazines. To quote the unmarried Vladimir, “The girls in those magazines have been my companions, and I want them to accompany me to the next life.” It is sad Vladimir allowed himself to trade the reality of life with an illusion of the mind. A 44 year old woman in Germany called the emergency phone number and in a weeping voice told police there was an emergency at her home. When the police arrived they found her pacing the floor and her husband sitting in front of a TV watching an x-rated movie. She told the police, “nothing will move him, not even if I offer the real thing.” Of course there was nothing the police could do but refer her to counseling. When the Apple iPhone went on sale, thousands lined up to pay whatever the price to have the phone. Excited people stood in line all evening for their purchase. But weeks later they were disappointed when the price was cut $200. Their desires for instant gratification had cost them. Some of us will pay whatever the price, and go to extreme measures to indulge in our evil desires. But what we will find is disappointment. So take the apostles words to heart and live decent lives because we belong to Christ and not the darkness of evil. Guard your thoughts as though Christ were present with you. Pray for His strength, His mercy and His love to abound in your life.

Page 16 of 103 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 102 103

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 975 guests, and 53 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy, Ingrid Guerci, Wifey02
71,826 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation