Romans 13:11-14 (NLT)
11 This is all the more urgent, for you know how late it is; time is running out. Wake up, for our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. 12 The night is almost gone; the day of salvation will soon be here. So remove your dark deeds like dirty clothes, and put on the shining armor of right living. 13 Because we belong to the day, we must live decent lives for all to see. Don’t participate in the darkness of wild parties and drunkenness, or in sexual promiscuity and immoral living, or in quarreling and jealousy. 14 Instead, clothe yourself with the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ. And don’t let yourself think about ways to indulge your evil desires.

The apostle started chapter 13 of Romans by saying people should submit to the authority of those who govern and those who lead. Then he moved into other not to do, such as commit adultery, murder and theft. Then here in these verses he is urging believers to put aside their sins and refers to them as dirty clothes. Instead he encourages them to put on the shining armor of pure living and to eliminate the immoral living that causes them to be filthy.

When I was a teenager I worked in a gas station. Twice a week a garbage truck would come to the gas station and the men would get out and empty the waste containers. These men wore protective covers over their clothes. They came in contact with many things like grease, oil, and every imaginable thing that drips from a trash can. Their clothes were always soiled and I am sure they appreciated a good bath at the end of the day. The men were always friendly and would stop for a few minutes and talk to my boss. On hot days he would buy them something to drink, because he appreciated the hard work they did. One day a nicely dressed man in a suit came into the gas station asking my boss if he would cash a check. My boss looked at him and said I don’t cash checks for people I don’t know. The man quickly replied, you know who I am. I’m Ed the guy who comes in each week from Jones garbage to empty your waste cans. Because he had removed the filthy clothes he was usually wearing and had cleaned up and put on a suite it was as if he had become a new person to us. Like in Romans, strip off that which makes you filthy and dirty and clothe you with the presence of Jesus Christ and people will see someone different. They will see someone in shining armor living the good and right life. Let Christ transform you and remove the dirty sin from your life.