John 2:1-10 (NLT)
1 On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus' mother was there, 2 and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. 3 When the wine was gone, Jesus' mother said to him, "They have no more wine." 4 "Dear woman, why do you involve me?" Jesus replied, "My time has not yet come." 5 His mother said to the servants, "Do whatever he tells you." 6 Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons. 7 Jesus said to the servants, "Fill the jars with water"; so they filled them to the brim. 8 Then he told them, "Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet." They did so, 9 and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside 10 and said, "Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now."

Jesus was attending a wedding; possibly for one of his relatives, since His mother was also in attendance. Jesus had not performed any miracles up to this point; reserving them for His ministry. But this was a wedding, a special and honorable occasion so His mother asked for help when the wine had run out, possibly to save the honor of the groom. Jesus responded with “Dear woman, why do you involve me?” It was a reminder that Jesus, while Mary’s son was also Mary’s Lord and Savior and that His power was for a greater purpose. Mary knew Jesus would still respond, so she instructed the servants to do whatever He asked.

In the book of Revelation, an angel tells John “Come with me! I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb.” The groom is Christ and His church is the bride. The angel then takes John away to the top of a great mountain to show him the city where all those whose names are written in the Lamb’s Book of life will be. The city was described as beautiful and magnificent place. The wall was made of jasper, and the city was pure gold, as clear as glass. The wall of the city was built on foundation stones inlaid with twelve precious stones: the first was jasper, the second sapphire, the third agate, the fourth emerald, the fifth onyx, the sixth carnelian, the seventh chrysolite, the eighth beryl, the ninth topaz, the tenth chrysoprase, the eleventh jacinth, the twelfth amethyst. The twelve gates were made of pearls—each gate from a single pearl! And the main street was pure gold, as clear as glass. I saw no temple in the city, for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. And the city has no need of sun or moon, for the glory of God illuminates the city, and the Lamb is its light. Just like the story of Jesus turning the wine into water the best of what we are to experience is still yet to be seen. One day the best will be ours to experience and behold.