PSALM 119:137-144 (NLT)
137 O Lord, you are righteous, and your regulations are fair. 138 Your laws are perfect and completely trustworthy. 139 I am overwhelmed with indignation, for my enemies have disregarded your words. 140 Your promises have been thoroughly tested; that is why I love them so much. 141 I am insignificant and despised, but I don’t forget your commandments. 142 Your justice is eternal, and your instructions are perfectly true. 143 As pressure and stress bear down on me, I find joy in your commands. 144 Your laws are always right; help me to understand them so I may live.

David writes from his heart about God. He recognizes there is nothing missing or amiss about God. He is perfect in His nature, righteous and holy, fair and impartial. His laws can be trusted by all and they are perfect in their influence on man. David speaks to God that some have forgotten God’s words. They disregard the things they should be doing and it overwhelms David that men would do such a thing. Yet David remembers he is nothing without God. As the pressures of life bear down on David he finds joy in following God’s commands for they direct him.

In Psalms 38 David said, “My guilt overwhelms me—it is a burden too heavy to bear. My wounds fester and stink because of my foolish sins. I am bent over and racked with pain. All day long I walk around filled with grief. A raging fever burns within me, and my health is broken. I am exhausted and completely crushed. My groans come from an anguished heart.” Have you ever felt like David? Have you felt overwhelmed with life? Have the sins of life crushed you and weighed you down? Most of us have experienced those feelings at one time in our life. You may even be experiencing them now. David’s words are a cry for help to God. It is obvious he was depressed and the mental stress was taking a toll on his physical life. David remembered God had always kept His promises to him. David looked to God for answers and he found joy in the comfort of God’s word. We too can find comfort in God’s world. Christ said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.” What a magnificent promise from our Savior that He will give us rest. Loving God means keeping his commandments, and his commandments are not burdensome.