Deuteronomy 10:12-21 (NLT)
12 “And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require of you? He requires only that you fear the Lord your God, and live in a way that pleases him, and love him and serve him with all your heart and soul. 13 And you must always obey the Lord’s commands and decrees that I am giving you today for your own good. 14 “Look, the highest heavens and the earth and everything in it all belong to the Lord your God. 15 Yet the Lord chose your ancestors as the objects of his love. And he chose you, their descendants, above all other nations, as is evident today. 16 Therefore, change your hearts and stop being stubborn. 17 “For the Lord your God is the God of gods and Lord of lords. He is the great God, the mighty and awesome God, who shows no partiality and cannot be bribed. 18 He ensures that orphans and widows receive justice. He shows love to the foreigners living among you and gives them food and clothing. 19 So you, too, must show love to foreigners, for you yourselves were once foreigners in the land of Egypt. 20 You must fear the Lord your God and worship him and cling to him. Your oaths must be in his name alone. 21 He alone is your God, the only one who is worthy of your praise, the one who has done these mighty miracles that you have seen with your own eyes.

Moses is speaking to the people of Israel asking to remember the past and where they are today. Then after asking them to recall the past he asked them, “What does the Lord your God require of you?” and he gave a response. Then again he reminded the people how God had chosen them and how God had showed His love to them. Moses talked about the Lord’s greatness, His justice and His care for all people. Then he says, “He alone is your God, the only one who is worthy of your praise.”

Justice is defined by Webster’s as the maintenance or administration of what is just especially by the impartial adjustment of conflicting claims or the assignment of merited rewards or punishments. Our God is a just God who defends those who have no one else to defend them. King David said the Lord is a father to the fatherless. In the verses above we see God takes care of orphans and widows. In the book of Kings the prophet Elijah meets a widow who only has a handful or flour and oil left to feed herself and her son. Elijah asks if he could have a glass of water and a piece of bread and the woman responds by saying, "I don't have any bread—only a handful of flour in a jar and a little oil in a jug. I am gathering a few sticks to take home and make a meal for myself and my son, that we may eat it—and die." This poor woman was afraid of giving up what little she had for fear her and her son would starve to death. Elijah told her not to fear that the Lord would not allow the flour to be used up or the oil to run dry and the woman’s faith was validated. Our God is a mighty and powerful God who is always watching out for us and all that He asks of us is to love Him, serve Him and follow His commandments.