Malachi 2:13-16 (NLT)
13 Here is another thing you do. You cover the Lord’s altar with tears, weeping and groaning because he pays no attention to your offerings and doesn’t accept them with pleasure. 14 You cry out, “Why doesn’t the Lord accept my worship?” I’ll tell you why! Because the Lord witnessed the vows you and your wife made when you were young. But you have been unfaithful to her, though she remained your faithful partner, the wife of your marriage vows. 15 Didn’t the Lord make you one with your wife? In body and spirit you are his. And what does he want? Godly children from your union. So guard your heart; remain loyal to the wife of your youth. 16 “For I hate divorce!” says the Lord, the God of Israel. “To divorce your wife is to overwhelm her with cruelty,” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies. “So guard your heart; do not be unfaithful to your wife.”

In these verses from the Prophet Malachi he tells the people that they spend their time crying and groaning over problems in their life. They have brought the problems upon themselves by breaking their marriage vows they made before God. God wants godly children from a strong and pure marriage and in a broken marriage that becomes a difficult task. So God says he hates divorce and to divorce one’s wife is to overwhelm her with cruelty.

Back in May of 2007 a billboard peered down into a trendy bar section of Chicago. The billboard was sponsored by an all female law firm specializing in divorce. The sign read, “LIFE’S SHORT. GET A DIVORCE” The ad campaign was defended by one of the firm’s partners saying, “Law firm advertising is boring…Everything's always the same. It is lawyers in libraries with a suit on and the law books behind them. They don't say anything. What, I should hire you because you have a law degree? C'mon. So we wanted to try something different." A clinical social worker speaking out against the sign stated how the billboard trivialized divorce. He said in his work they try to help people go through divorce with some integrity, try to help restore it if possible and help them grieve their loss when it is inevitable. One lawyer challenged the ad through the Attorney Disciplinary Committee of the courts saying it was a perversion of the image of marriage. He said sure the female lawyer drew a lot of attention with the billboard, but it is like the guy who spits on your table. He draws a lot of attention, but what kind of attention is it? Somewhere in America we have lost what it means to make a vow before God and commit ourselves to marriage. Then when things fall apart we cry before God asking why, when deep down we know the reasons for the failure of the marriage. Pray God will help you to see where you can make a difference in your marriage. Pray for the Lord’s guidance that you might maintain your vows in a godly manner.