John 20:24-29 (NLT)
24 One of the twelve disciples, Thomas (nicknamed the Twin), was not with the others when Jesus came. 25 They told him, “We have seen the Lord!” But he replied, “I won’t believe it unless I see the nail wounds in his hands, put my fingers into them, and place my hand into the wound in his side.” 26 Eight days later the disciples were together again, and this time Thomas was with them. The doors were locked; but suddenly, as before, Jesus was standing among them. “Peace be with you,” he said. 27 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here, and look at my hands. Put your hand into the wound in my side. Don’t be faithless any longer. Believe!” 28 “My Lord and my God!” Thomas exclaimed. 29 Then Jesus told him, “You believe because you have seen me. Blessed are those who believe without seeing me.”

This is the story of Thomas, one of the 12 disciples of Jesus. Thomas was not present when others had seen Christ who was now alive even after death. Thomas was not quick to believe their stories instead he laid out the proof he would need. Thomas wanted to see nail wounds and the wounds in Christ’s side and be able to touch them and know they were real.

There are two parts to faith: belief and trust. Out of the two parts that make up faith, trust is the most difficult. James says, “You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God. Good for you! Even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror.” The demons believe in God, but they don’t trust God to follow Him. Why is belief easier than trust? Belief does not take a commitment, but trust requires one. Abraham a man of faith was told to take his son to the top of the mountain as a sacrifice. Abraham was prepared to follow through with what God had asked him to do although God stopped him as he drew the knife towards his son. Abraham was making a commitment to follow God even at a great cost to himself. Our daughter was very ill several years ago. Talking with my wife I asked her if she had faith in God. She said yes, I believe he can heal our daughter. Then I asked the tougher question, but what if God wants to take her life for a greater purpose. Do you still trust Him? She hesitated for a moment and said, “I don’t like that question?” It was a question requiring commitment and to vocalize faith in God’s purpose was difficult for her when she realized God’s purpose may not fit her desire. Faith is not easy, but the more we trust God the easier it becomes.