Genesis 15:4-6 (NLT)
4 Then the Lord said to him, “No, your servant will not be your heir, for you will have a son of your own who will be your heir.” 5 Then the Lord took Abram outside and said to him, “Look up into the sky and count the stars if you can. That’s how many descendants you will have!” 6 And Abram believed the Lord, and the Lord counted him as righteous because of his faith.

The Lord told Abraham he will be greatly blessed, but Abraham has a concern his possessions will not be passed on because he does not have a son. In chapter 12 of Genesis it indicates Abraham was 75 as he set out on his journey and even more time had passed. But the Lord tells him that he will have a son and as many descendants as there are stars before him in the sky. It then says Abraham believed the Lord and the Lord counted him as righteous because of his faith.

The apostle Paul says in Romans, “Abraham was, humanly speaking, the founder of our Jewish nation. What did he discover about being made right with God? If his good deeds had made him acceptable to God, he would have had something to boast about. But that was not God’s way. For the Scriptures tell us, “Abraham believed God, and God counted him as righteous because of his faith.” In other words having faith in the promises of God and following those promises makes us righteous. Attempting good deeds on our own, trying to find our own way of pleasing God is not what God desires. God desires we believe and trust in Him to the point we are willing to go wherever He says go and do what He says do. The apostle Paul writes to the Ephesians, “God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it. For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.” God has a plan for our lives and that plan includes salvation that came through the death of Jesus Christ. Have faith in God. Trust God loves you and has your best interest at heart even when times seem difficult. The apostle Paul struggled through life. He said, “I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from becoming proud. Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” Have faith in God and let the grace of Christ work through you.