Proverbs 20:5 (NLT)
5 Though good advice lies deep within the heart, a person with understanding will draw it out.

Most of us have the capacity to reason and to determine the proper course in life we must take. Good advice lies deep within our hearts often suppressed by fears and misunderstanding. But a person who take time to understand and grabs hold of that advice will draw it out for their use and purpose.

I remember as a child visiting my grandmother’s sister’s farm. On the farm was an old well surrounded by a rock wall to keep anyone from falling in. There was a roof above the well with a hand crank for lowering down a bucket. Looking down into the well you could not see anything but darkness. As I watched, my grandmother lowered the bucket deep into the well and when it came back up the bucket was full of water. The King James Version of the bible says this about Proverbs 20:5, “Counsel in the heart of man is like deep water; but a man of understanding will draw it out.” Thinking about that old well it took some patience to lower the bucket, wait a little bit and then draw it back up to the surface. There are times when we are just not patient enough with ourselves. When we are thirsty enough we might find ourselves diving in head first for the cool water only to find once we have satisfied ourselves we are not at the bottom of a well hopelessly trapped. If only we had taken the time to gain clear reason and understanding we could have been patient and used the bucket like so many of those before us. When it comes to sin we are much the same way. There is something that appeals to us and instead of waiting we become like the wild animal that rushes forth without thought or reason to find itself trapped. Before you fall to sin stop and take the time to reason through your actions and you will be able to pull wisdom from deep within your heart. May God be with always pointing you to the wisdom that lies within your soul.