1 Peter 3:8-12 (NLT)
8 Finally, all of you should be of one mind. Sympathize with each other. Love each other as brothers and sisters. Be tenderhearted, and keep a humble attitude. 9 Don’t repay evil for evil. Don’t retaliate with insults when people insult you. Instead, pay them back with a blessing. That is what God has called you to do, and he will bless you for it. 10 For the Scriptures say, “If you want to enjoy life and see many happy days, keep your tongue from speaking evil and your lips from telling lies. 11 Turn away from evil and do good. Search for peace, and work to maintain it. 12 The eyes of the Lord watch over those who do right, and his ears are open to their prayers. But the Lord turns his face against those who do evil.”

These verses are addressed to all Christians. As Christians we are to love those who are our brothers and sisters in Christ. We are to be sympathetic, tenderhearted and humble towards others. Our mindset should not be one of payback for wrongs done towards us, but instead we should be willing to seek out what is good. Peter reminds us to be careful of the words we speak and always tell the truth.

In a sermon on prayer, Bruce Wilkinson said: On my first trip to Israel I was on a ship that docked on the Isle of Patmos, where John wrote Revelation. I was so lonely for my family I didn't even go back up to the cave where he wrote it. I wanted to be by myself so I walked the streets of Patmos until I found a coffee shop. I sat down and prayed. "Lord, I'm in the middle of nowhere. I don't know anyone. Send someone who needs you." The guy at the next table said, "Do you want some coffee? I'll buy. Are you off that ship?"
"Yes," I said. I moved over to his table and he bought me a cup of coffee. "What's the matter?" He said, "What do you mean what's the matter?" I said, "I don't know. What's the matter?" "I just left my wife, and I'm not going back. I'm going to try to go on the ship to get to the next island so I can fly out of here." "Would you believe I'm all the way from Atlanta, Georgia, for one reason—to get you back to your wife?"
"Impossible," he said. "Let me return the favor of the coffee." And for the next hour God broke through and that young man came to know Christ. I told him, "If you make it up with your wife before the boat leaves, you come wave." "It'll never happen." "You're a miracle. Give God a chance." I got on the boat, and was praying like crazy. I went to the back of the boat overlooking the harbor and will never forget what I saw. Down off the rocky cliff came this young couple holding hands and waving! I'm convinced that if I hadn't prayed, that man would have never said a word to me.