Job 38:1-3 (NLT)
1 Then the Lord answered Job from the whirlwind: 2 “Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorant words? 3 Brace yourself like a man, because I have some questions for you, and you must answer them.
Job, lamenting over his situation of the loss of family, possessions, and servants, was being taunted by his friends who thought surely he deserved this punishment for something he did. Job was becoming frustrated with his replies when finally the Lord spoke. First God asks, “Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorant words.” Secondly God says, “Brace yourself like a man because I have some questions for you.”
When we think we have all the answers in life we need to remember our God who does hold the answers. As God demonstrated to Job and his friends their knowledge was limited. God ask some of the following questions:
• Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell me, if you know so much.
• Who determined its dimensions and stretched out the surveying line?
• What supports its foundations, and who laid its cornerstone as the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy?
• “Who kept the sea inside its boundaries as it burst from the womb, and as I clothed it with clouds and wrapped it in thick darkness? For I locked it behind barred gates, limiting its shores.
• “Have you ever commanded the morning to appear and caused the dawn to rise in the east?
• Have you made daylight spread to the ends of the earth, to bring an end to the night’s wickedness?
• Do you know where the gates of death are located? Have you seen the gates of utter gloom?
• “Where does light come from, and where does darkness go? Can you take each to its home? Do you know how to get there?
• “Have you visited the storehouses of the snow or seen the storehouses of hail? (I have reserved them as weapons for the time of trouble, for the day of battle and war.)
• Do you know the laws of the universe? Can you use them to regulate the earth?
Even today we are unable to answer many of those questions. No one knows for certain the laws of the universe and what regulates everything. Who knows for sure how the earth and seas were formed. There are theories, but that is all. The next time you have questions about life, stop, pray, and then listen for God’s answers. Give the Lord time to respond and help you to understand the life you are facing.