John 11:37-44 (NLT)
37And some of them said, Could not this man, which opened the eyes of the blind, have caused that even this man should not have died? 38Jesus therefore again groaning in himself cometh to the grave. It was a cave, and a stone lay upon it. 39Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days. 40Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God? 41Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid. And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me. 42And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me. 43And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth. 44And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go.

This is the story of Jesus bringing Lazarus, the brother of Martha and Mary back to life. We find Jesus going to the cave where Lazarus was buried. In verse 35 it said “Jesus wept.” It is the shortest verse in the Bible and the only time the Greek word dakryo, meaning shed tears, was used in the New Testament. The Greek word klaio was not used, which meant to weep and lament while mourning for the dead. Klaio was the same word used as Mary and Martha wept for Lazarus. It was also the word used when Mary expressed her grief at the tomb over the death of Jesus. And klaio was the word used to describe how Peter wept as he realized he denied Jesus. Verse 38 goes on to say Jesus was groaning almost angry as He approached the grave. Jesus knew Lazarus was about to return from the glory of heaven to continue life on this earth. Why a different word to describe the tears of Jesus? Jesus was not weeping as to mourn a loss, but instead to show His understanding of Lazarus being taken back from his eternal place in heaven. Lazarus stepped forward from the grave bound in burial garments. Jesus told those who were there mourning to set him free from the clothes that bound Him.

Our belief in Christ gives us a second life. Our second life will be a new life; free from the sins that bound us like death for so long. It must have been very emotional for Jesus to bring Lazarus back from his eternal life. He brought him back into a world filled with sin. Lazarus came back into a world where even his physical needs were dependent upon others to help him. The new body he was to receive was lost as his old body stepped out of the grave. How sad this demonstration of power must have been for Jesus. He was sad for the pain of others, the loss of a friend and also for taking a friend back from a promised reward. Jesus longs for us to be free from this world of pain and be with Him in His heavenly abode. Yet we are here for the present to serve God and carry the message of Christ to others.