John 12:44-50 (NLT)
44 Jesus shouted to the crowds, “If you trust me, you are trusting not only me, but also God who sent me. 45 For when you see me, you are seeing the one who sent me. 46 I have come as a light to shine in this dark world, so that all who put their trust in me will no longer remain in the dark. 47 I will not judge those who hear me but don’t obey me, for I have come to save the world and not to judge it. 48 But all who reject me and my message will be judged on the day of judgment by the truth I have spoken. 49 I don’t speak on my own authority. The Father who sent me has commanded me what to say and how to say it. 50 And I know his commands lead to eternal life; so I say whatever the Father tells me to say.”

Here Christ speaks to the crowds asserting honor to himself and also God. Jesus makes reference to the fact that He and God are one in the same. Christ follows the commands of the Father knowing that what is to happen will bring eternal life. The rejection of Christ will be the rejection of salvation. So Christ is present in the world as a light leading those who trust Him out of the darkness of sin.

In John 21 Jesus appears to the disciples after the resurrection and prepares breakfast for them. After breakfast Jesus asks Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” “Yes, Lord,” Peter replied, “you know I love you.” “Then feed my lambs,” Jesus told him. Jesus repeated the question: “Simon son of John, do you love me?” “Yes, Lord,” Peter said, “you know I love you.” “Then take care of my sheep,” Jesus said. A third time he asked him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter was hurt that Jesus asked the question a third time. He said, “Lord, you know everything. You know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Then feed my sheep.” Jesus asked Peter twice do you love me as much as God. Peter replied twice he loved him as a close friend. The third time Jesus asked Peter if he loved Him even as a friend. It was difficult for Peter to express his love for Christ. Even knowing Christ loved him it was difficult. Even knowing Christ came back to them after death it was still difficult to express his feelings. Sometimes Christ is asking us do we trust Him? Yet we are weak in our response. We say things such as: I would like to; I hope I can; I’m not sure, but I want to. Jesus asks us to trust Him. We are to trust that wherever He leads it was for a good purpose. If Jesus is asking do you trust Him, say “Yes Lord I trust you and will follow where you lead.”