Matthew 16:24-26 (NLT)
24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow me. 25 If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. 26 And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? Is anything worth more than your soul?

Christ explained to his disciples how he must suffer for the sake of all. Now he tells them they too will suffer for the sake of what they believe in. They were to follow the shepherd as sheep turning their lives over to the one who was going to guide them. Christ reminded them there was no benefit in enjoying what the world had to offer is the cost was the eternal loss of their soul. Christ reiterates this point by asking “Is anything worth more than your soul?”

There was a story I read from Decision Magazine about a young boy who loved to play marbles. He had one favorite cracked blue marble; it had won him many matches. As he walked along with his pocket of marbles he met a girl eating chocolate candies. He put together a plan in his mind and stopped to offer the girl all his marbles for all of her chocolate. Carefully searching out his pocket he managed to feel the cracked blue marble he cherished and pushed it deep into his pocket. He pulled out the other marbles and handed them to the girl in exchange for the chocolates. As he began to walk off he turns back to the girl and asks, “Hey, you did give me all the chocolates, didn’t you?” Our fallen nature makes us want to hang onto to that which we feel is a prized procession. We don’t want to give up ourselves to Christ in the same manner. We want to hold on to a part of our life we found satisfying. But holding on just makes us suspicious of others and whether they could be as corrupt as we ourselves are. We don’t want to surrender full control to Christ because we fear in doing so we may be missing out on something.