Ezekiel 44:10-14 (NLT)
10 And the men of the tribe of Levi who abandoned me when Israel strayed away from me to worship idols must bear the consequences of their unfaithfulness. 11 They may still be Temple guards and gatekeepers, and they may slaughter the animals brought for burnt offerings and be present to help the people. 12 But they encouraged my people to worship idols, causing Israel to fall into deep sin. So I have taken a solemn oath that they must bear the consequences for their sins, says the Sovereign Lord. 13 They may not approach me to minister as priests. They may not touch any of my holy things or the holy offerings, for they must bear the shame of all the detestable sins they have committed. 14 They are to serve as the Temple caretakers, taking charge of the maintenance work and performing general duties.
In regards to the Temple, the Lord is master of the house. The Lord is ready to setup the temple again and is taking an inventory of His servants, priests, and workers to determine who will continue in the positions they had and who will find themselves placed somewhere else accordingly. The consequences of their sin changed the roles of their ministries.
In December of 2005, 19-year-old Jonathan Baldino was caught while attempting to buy electronic merchandise from retail stores at extreme discounts. Police say he downloaded a program from the Internet that allowed Baldino to print out barcode labels for a $24.99 CD player, and then attached them to more advanced music systems retailing for $249.99. He was eventually caught when a security guard noticed him paying $4.99 for an iPod worth $149.99. After his arrest, Baldino pleaded with police for his release. In a written statement, he said: "Please let me go, for I am terribly sorry! I'm only a kid, help me out � I just want to go home! I did this not knowing the serious penalty that lies behind it. Please!" His plea was ignored by police, who charged him with a class 5 felony for forgery and two counts of misdemeanor theft. (FoxNews.com, 12-6-05) You can be sorry for your sin and ask for forgiveness, but it does not remove the consequence of the sin. There may still be pain to endure once confession is made and forgiveness received. God is true and just and will forgive our sins, but as Ezekiel says, �They must bear the consequences for their sins, says the Sovereign Lord.�