1 Corinthians 8:9-13 (NLT)
9 But you must be careful so that your freedom does not cause others with a weaker conscience to stumble. 10 For if others see you�with your �superior knowledge��eating in the temple of an idol, won�t they be encouraged to violate their conscience by eating food that has been offered to an idol? 11 So because of your superior knowledge, a weak believer for whom Christ died will be destroyed. 12 And when you sin against other believers by encouraging them to do something they believe is wrong, you are sinning against Christ. 13 So if what I eat causes another believer to sin, I will never eat meat again as long as I live�for I don�t want to cause another believer to stumble.

Paul wrote to the Corinthians about whether it was right to eat food that had been sacrificed to idols and then prepared as a meal. While there were Christians strong in their faith who understood there was only one God in this world; there were also some Christians who did not have that same strong faith. In their weakness they might struggle as to whether this practice was right or wrong. Paul contended the struggle might lead them away from Christ. Paul warned those with a strong faith not to let their liberty in Christ be taken for granted that they might influence the thoughts of others who were weak.

Responsibility is essential when freedom is abundant. In the United States we are granted freedom of speech, but that does not mean we are free to say any and everything. For instance a person cannot stand up on a plane and yell out �There is a bomb on the plane�. While they are granted freedom of speak; their words could cause great fear and panic. People may get hurt as they try to escape. So freedom comes with responsibility to choose wisely. We have a freedom in Christ from sin and we do not want to take that freedom lightly. Choose carefully your actions such that they would not have a negative impact on others and hurt their walk with Christ.