Ecclesiastes 3:9-13 (NLT)
9 What do people really get for all their hard work? 10 I have seen the burden God has placed on us all. 11 Yet God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God�s work from beginning to end. 12 So I concluded there is nothing better than to be happy and enjoy ourselves as long as we can. 13 And people should eat and drink and enjoy the fruits of their labor, for these are gifts from God.

King Solomon ponders life and the hard work man faces. Solomon knows it was a burden placed on man when sin entered the world. Yet Solomon also understood there was an eternal life that we have not yet seen. Solomon concluded we don�t understand all that God has planned for us so for now enjoy life by enjoying the gifts God gives us.

As I was walking down a street in Georgetown, Virginia a man who was singing and holding a shoe shining kit stopped me and asked if he could touch up the shine on my shoes. He said, �Just $5 and it helps me with food and shelter.� So I agreed and started to talk with him. He said he was out of a job and homeless. He bought the shoe shine kit so he could earn what he called honest money. He said he knew God would rather have him earn money honestly instead of hustling people or selling drugs. He said this way I can give a little something to earn a little something. Even though he didn�t have much he was content. How many of us have so much and yet we cannot be content with our lives? Instead of looking for happiness we burden ourselves. As King Solomon concluded, would it not be better to be happy and enjoy ourselves as long as we can in this life?