Proverbs 12:15 (NLT)
15 Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

This proverb states what keeps a person from being wise; they think they are right about everything and they are unwilling to listen to the advice of others. They let their own confidence and pride stand in the way of obtaining a greater understanding. Their thought is, �I will do what is right in my own eyes.� The wise keep from being the fool by listening to others and following the advice when it is sound and good.

It was a very cold Saturday morning and my daughter was going to take her driving test. We had been advised by friends to get to the DMV early because the line formed quickly. Some friends said the line had been so long at times you could be there all day. So two hours before the DMV opened we were standing in line with a thermos of coffee, warm clothing, and blankets. Several others were in line with us enduring the cold temperatures the best they could. I give God thanks we listened to our friends and the weatherman. It was a long cold two hours. Just as the doors were about to open a mother and her daughter got out of their car and tried pushing their way to the front of the line saying they had been on the car waiting before everyone got there. They felt entitled to the front of the line just because they were on the property; even though everyone else was on the property and braved the cold while they stayed in a warm car. A fight almost ensued until one of the DMV officers stepped out and talked to the lady and her daughter. He advised them it would be best to go to the end of the line, since others had patiently waited and endured the cold. The woman would not listen and after many threats and complaints the officer relented to letting the woman in line with her daughter. I can remember the officer�s words to the driving evaluator �Go ahead and let her take the test.� It wasn�t long before they returned and I could hear the woman complaining how they had failed her daughter�s driving test. Those who listened and waited seemed to fair well on their tests for the most part. But the ones who thought they were right in their own eyes were placed under greater scrutiny. Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.