Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 57 of 103 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 102 103
AskMe #2668417 09/25/12 06:27 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Genesis 3:7-10 (NLT)
7 At that moment their eyes were opened, and they suddenly felt shame at their nakedness. So they sewed fig leaves together to cover themselves. 8 When the cool evening breezes were blowing, the man and his wife heard the Lord God walking about in the garden. So they hid from the Lord God among the trees. 9 Then the Lord God called to the man, �Where are you?� 10 He replied, �I heard you walking in the garden, so I hid. I was afraid because I was naked.�

These verses are about the after results of man�s fall to sin. In Genesis 2:25 it says, �Now the man and his wife were both naked, but they felt no shame.� Prior to their sinful act there was no shame in their lives. Yet in verse 7 we find they suddenly felt the shame at their nakedness. Satan, the deceiver had previously told them �your eyes will be opened as soon as you eat�. Satan words were true, but he also suggested �they would be like God knowing good and evil�. They did know the difference between good and evil; except now the sin was on them and they saw it clearly.

Shame is an emotion closely related to guilt. Shame can be defined as "a painful emotion caused by consciousness of guilt, shortcoming, or impropriety." What separates guilt from shame is "We feel guilty for what we do. We feel shame for what we are." Shame is often a much stronger and more profound emotion than guilt. "Shame is when we feel disappointed about something inside of us, our basic nature." Both shame and guilt can have intensive implications for our perceptions of self and our behavior toward other people.

The problem with shame is that is emphasizes what is wrong with us. It is an intense inward feeling that will cause us to turn from others, try to hide our problems, and can make us defensive about our issues. Look at Adam and Eve. As soon as the guilt of sin came up them they felt shame. They hid themselves from God, not because they were naked, but because they felt the shame of sin. It wasn�t God who moved away from Adam and Eve; it was Adam and Eve who moved away from God.

The next thing Adam and Eve did was to take their shame and turn it towards others. Eve blamed the serpent. Adam blamed God for the woman given to him. Shame hurt them so deeply inside they could not admit to their own fault. They had to blame someone else.

This often happens in addictions. A person feels shame for issues in their life. The shame is very painful and is a constant reminder to the person about their perceived failure. Then they act out because they want to relieve the pain. Then the problem is they feel more shame. In their efforts to analyze their problems they blame others just as Adam and Eve did. Then the cycle repeats. The person tries to fix the pain, cover the shame and repeat their problems all over again.

Fortunately we have a Savior Jesus Christ who has paid the debt for all our sin. When we hold onto shame we are holding onto a debt that has already been paid. We are allowing shame to own us even though it was taken away by the blood of Jesus.

If you feel shame in your life turn it over to God and allow Christ to comfort you and show you His grace and mercy. Allow The Lord to heal your pains and let you confess your problems to others that they may help you. Stop the repetitive actions of shame and allow God to set your free.

AskMe #2668796 09/26/12 06:49 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Ecclesiastes 1:2-11 (NLT)
2 �Everything is meaningless,� says the Teacher, �completely meaningless!� 3 What do people get for all their hard work under the sun? 4 Generations come and generations go, but the earth never changes. 5 The sun rises and the sun sets, then hurries around to rise again. 6 The wind blows south, and then turns north. Around and around it goes, blowing in circles. 7 Rivers run into the sea, but the sea is never full. Then the water returns again to the rivers and flows out again to the sea. 8 Everything is wearisome beyond description. No matter how much we see, we are never satisfied. No matter how much we hear, we are not content. 9 History merely repeats itself. It has all been done before. Nothing under the sun is truly new. 10 Sometimes people say, �Here is something new!� But actually it is old; nothing is ever truly new. 11 We don�t remember what happened in the past, and in future generations, no one will remember what we are doing now.

In these verses the teacher lays down his principle, �Everything is meaningless, completely meaningless.� Then he explains in verse 3 saying �What do people get for all their hard work under the sun?� Then he follows with his proof by explaining the non-changing events of life.

There is a question I have heard many times, �What is the meaning of life?� I remember in a cartoon it was very obvious a man had struggled to reach the summit of a mountain where a wise man was sitting. As soon as the man reaches the wise man he asks, �What is the meaning of life?� to which the wise man responds, �I was sitting here wondering the same thing myself.�

In the real life movie, Pinocchio, directed by Alberto Sironi; Pinocchio happily repeats Geppetto's verdict: "I'm alive!" Then a pensive look comes over the face of the puppet-turned-boy. "What do you mean 'I'm alive'?" "What does it mean? Well, unless I'm going mad, and this isn't just a dream, it means you have a life to live," says Geppetto. "And what do you have a life for?" Pinocchio asks in return. Geppetto falls silent, unable to find an answer.

Our purpose is not always easy to understand. Jesus told us, �Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.� So even as Solomon surmised life; is not about working endlessly just to collect possessions.

Man�s original purpose was to enjoy the world God gave him and to allow him to fellowship freely with God. But man chose sin which separated him from God and the plan God had for him. God said to man,
�Since you listened to your wife and ate from the tree whose fruit I commanded you not to eat, the ground is cursed because of you. All your life you will struggle to scratch a living from it. It will grow thorns and thistles for you, though you will eat of its grains. By the sweat of your brow will you have food to eat until you return to the ground from which you were made. For you were made from dust, and to dust you will return.� Man created his troublesome life here on earth by disobeying God.

So what are we to do? We should remember no matter what our circumstances God still wants to fellowship with us. To make our fellowship meaningful we are to repent of our sin, accept Christ as our lord and savior and to be born to a new life that we can find peace and contentment in God. You see contentment in life does not come from things, but from God. Our life purpose is to fellowship with God. Life is not about our own wants. For one day those who have chosen God will be with Him in His heavenly kingdom. That is the life we are to be working towards here on earth. We should be learning to live as though we were living in heaven itself.

AskMe #2669194 09/27/12 06:32 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Psalm 139:17-18 (NLT)
17 How precious are your thoughts about me, O God. They cannot be numbered! 18 I can�t even count them; they outnumber the grains of sand! And when I wake up, you are still with me!

Here we find that David acknowledges with wonder and thankfulness the thoughts of God towards him. For God�s thoughts are of his precious children. They are countless and cannot be fathomed or comprehended. His thoughts are thoughts of love and goodness. God�s omniscience, which might justly have watched over us to do us hurt, has been employed for us, and has watched over us to do us good.

We all want to be loved and somewhere today there is someone wondering if they are loved by anyone. You might be that person or maybe in the past you have wondered if you were loved. Let me just say, God loves you very much and finds you to be precious in his sight. God desires and longs to fellowship with you and be close to you. God loves you so much He sacrificed His son Jesus Christ so you and everyone else could have the chance to repent of our sin and believe in Jesus so we could obtain an eternal life with God and Christ in heaven after death. That is how much God loves us!

Romans 8:38 tells us this, �And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God�s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow�not even the powers of hell can separate us from God�s love.� In Romans 5:8 it says, �But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners.�

Understand this, no matter what the circumstances � God will always love you! Even in sin God loves you to send His son Jesus to pay the debt for your sin.

AskMe #2669564 09/28/12 06:49 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Matthew 9:36 (NLT)
36 When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them because they were confused and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.

When Jesus saw the needs of the crowds that followed Him � He felt compassion for them. They were like sheep, which would wander away left unattended. They needed someone to guide them, love them and show compassion towards them.

There are two components of compassion - first a compassionate person feels a deep sympathy and sorrow for someone who is afflicted and second they have a strong desire to alleviate the suffering. Jesus did both in the lives of people. Jesus felt compassion for their needs and did all He could possibly do to alleviate those needs. For the blind he gave them sight. For the lame He gave them the ability to walk. Those who were hungry, He fed them. Most of all Jesus gave them hope because He saw their sin and knew their need for redemption and offered eternal salvation in heaven.

You see we can feel sorrow for a person, but then we have a choice. We can either help the person or we can turn our backs and walk away. When we walk away we dismiss compassion and leave the person to fend for their own self. We leave them like sheep, confused and helpless with no one to guide them.

I have a friend whose brother went to a store in a small town frequented for its alcohol purchase. As the brother approached the door he had a sudden heart attack and dropped down by the door. For a long period of time people passed by thinking he was like many of the other patrons � a heavy drinker who let their alcohol get out of hand. NO ONE showed any compassion towards him to check to see what his problem might be. NO ONE called an ambulance. It was a long time before anyone did anything. By the time anyone did anything the man had passed away. Where was compassion when it was needed?

In our daily lives we need to be like Jesus showing compassion to others. When we are helpless and confused we need to accept the compassion of others and allow Jesus to work through them. I pray each of us would have a compassionate heart and reach out to those in need. Lord may we all learn to be like you showing compassion for the confused and helpless. For God so loved the world that He gave his only Son that whoever believed in Him would not perish, but have everlasting life. Now that is compassion.

AskMe #2670005 09/29/12 09:39 PM
J
J
The Epistle of James asks What is faith without works?

A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
John 2:2-12 (NLT)
2 The next day there was a wedding celebration in the village of Cana in Galilee. Jesus� mother was there, 2 and Jesus and his disciples were also invited to the celebration. 3 The wine supply ran out during the festivities, so Jesus� mother told him, �They have no more wine.� 4 �Dear woman, that�s not our problem,� Jesus replied. �My time has not yet come.� 5 But his mother told the servants, �Do whatever he tells you.� 6 Standing nearby were six stone water jars, used for Jewish ceremonial washing. Each could hold twenty to thirty gallons. 7 Jesus told the servants, �Fill the jars with water.� When the jars had been filled, 8 he said, �Now dip some out, and take it to the master of ceremonies.� So the servants followed his instructions. 9 When the master of ceremonies tasted the water that was now wine, not knowing where it had come from (though, of course, the servants knew), he called the bridegroom over. 10 �A host always serves the best wine first,� he said. �Then, when everyone has had a lot to drink, he brings out the less expensive wine. But you have kept the best until now!� 11 This miraculous sign at Cana in Galilee was the first time Jesus revealed his glory. And his disciples believed in him. 12 After the wedding he went to Capernaum for a few days with his mother, his brothers, and his disciples.

These verses record the first miracle Jesus performed turning water into wine. What a fitting occasion to do so since a wedding is often used to describe the union between Jesus and the church. Not only did Jesus provide the wine, He provided the best wine. When God answer�s our calls He does so with much more that we planned or anticipated.

My wife and I love the show Everyone Loves Raymond. It�s one of the best shows for seeing the dysfunctions of family life. In an episode where Robert and Amy were getting married, Robbie�s father, Frank, was upset they were charging for the alcoholic beverages. His statement was, "And the broad's family is supposed to pay for the wedding and it is to be a full bar, free of charge with top shelf hooch. Read your Bibles!" Frank used the verses above just a little out of context, but he was trying to make a point.

When you quote the Bible are you trying to use it for your own purpose or for what God intended. God�s word is living and breathing; meaning it speaks differently at different times to different people. I have posted a Bible verse before and got back multiple responses of how that verse meant something to the person who read it. What was unique is everyone had something different to say about how the verse affected them. Let God�s word speak into your heart and find what God is trying to say to you.

AskMe #2670275 10/01/12 10:57 AM
J
J
This verse may also be symbolic of the living water that Christ gives us.
It is the very best. Without comparison

A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
1 John 4:9 (NLT)
9 God showed how much he loved us by sending his one and only Son into the world so that we might have eternal life through him. 10 This is real love�not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins.

In this verse we see the depths of God�s love for man. God loved us so much that He sent His son Jesus Christ to atone for our sin. His love was so great He was willing to allow Jesus to be sacrificed to take away the sins of man.

Most of us know The Bible story of Moses parting the Red Sea so that the Israelites were able to safely retreat from the Egyptians across the dry sea bed. The Egyptians who were out to kill them were destroyed as the sea closed in on them. There is a Hasidic fable that tells of a great celebration in heaven after the Israelites are delivered from the Egyptians at the Red Sea and the Egyptian armies are drowned. The angels are cheering and dancing. Everyone in heaven is full of joy. Then one of the angels asks the archangel Michael, "Where is God? Why isn't God here celebrating?" Michael answers, "God is not here because he is off by himself weeping. You see, many thousands were drowned today."

For God so loved the world, not just a few, or some, or one, but the entire world that He gave His Son Jesus Christ so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish, but have eternal life. God loves every person in this world and weeps over those who reject Him and perish because of their choices.

AskMe #2670618 10/02/12 08:53 PM
J
J
But in our depraved state of sin, we cannot call out to God unless He draws us close to Him.

A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Ephesians 5:6 (NLT)
6 Don�t be fooled by those who try to excuse these sins, for the anger of God will fall on all who disobey him.

Never make an excuse for sin or discount the effects it may have on your life. Watch for those who would also lead you into sin saying it�s not a problem or it won�t consume you. We know from Adam and Eve that they were fooled by Satan into believing they could become like God. Even though they were warned by God of the consequences they fooled themselves excusing the sin they took part in.

Pastor Jud Wilhite shares the story of a church member named Cody Huff. Before Cody became a member at Central Christian Church in Las Vegas, he was sleeping in an open field next to the church. But at one time Cody was making loads of money as a famous bass pro fisherman who had even been featured on ESPN. Yet he couldn't overcome his problem with drugs. He began a crack addiction that led him to smoke up $600,000 worth of savings, his house, his Harley, his new boat. He smoked away everything he had and ended up homeless. A man who had eaten at fine restaurants and interacted with celebrities had bottomed out and was now homeless.

But God would turn his life around�and it all started with the kindness of a church volunteer. Some people from the church's homeless ministry were handing out sandwiches in the park where Cody slept, and they told him he could get a shower at Central Christian Church. The last place Cody wanted to go was a church, but he hadn't bathed in so long that even other homeless men couldn't stand his smell anymore. Cody explained what happened next:

I walked into the church, and this lady named Michelle, who knew me from the homeless ministry, said, "Good morning, Cody. How are you?" Then she looked at me, and she said, "Cody, you need a hug." And I said, "Honey, you don't want to touch me because I haven't had a shower in 3 months." If Michelle heard me, she didn't seem to care. She walked up, and she looked in my eyes, and she gave me a big hug and told me that Jesus loved me. In that split second, I was somebody. She even remembered my name. That was the point where I knew that God was alive in this world.

Over the next several weeks, Cody's life began to be restored. He gave his life to Christ. He started leading a Bible study in the park for other homeless people. "That was over 3 years ago," Jud says. "Now he's married, and he and his wife serve faithfully in our homeless ministry every weekend. He has his own business. From ashes, God has raised him up to use him as an instrument." But his involvement in ministry all started with the warm embrace from one of the church's greeters.
[Jud Wilhite, Uncensored Grace (Mulnomah, 2008)]

Excusing sin will eventually pull you down, but obeying the Lord will lift you back up. Never fool yourself thinking you can reach for sin and it won�t impact your life. Trust in the Lord with all your heart following His words of wisdom.

AskMe #2670925 10/04/12 08:05 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Proverbs 27:1 (NLT)
27 Don�t brag about tomorrow, since you don�t know what the day will bring.

There are two thoughts presented with this verse. 1) We are not to count the comforts and continuance of life for they can be taken away at any moment. Therefore we cannot presume we have another day of life even if it seems hopeful we do. 2) We should not put off the things we must do. For if today God calls out to us then we must respond as God requires. Our dependence is to be upon God and we must submit to His good will about the uncertainty of life.

On 20th December 1995, American Airlines flight 965, a Boeing 757, was flying from Miami, Florida to Cali, Colombia. Radar was unable to be used by Air Traffic Control in Cali, because of attacks by leftist guerillas in 1992 left the radar inoperative. Radio navigation aids and the airports instrument approach system were used instead. A problem began when air traffic control gave the pilots the option of taking a shorter route.

The pilots accepted the change in flight path and upon this decision the pilots cleared the waypoints from their navigation computer. The pilots then used their maps to identify the next waypoint and program it into the navigation computer. The next waypoint was Rozo, which was identified as �R� on their charts. The pilots programmed this into the navigation computer by entering �R�. However, there were duplicates locations for �R� stored in the navigation computer and the larger location Romeo was listed first. Not realizing the error in their selection the pilots had programmed the plane for a path to Bogata, Columbia -- a totally different direction from their flight path.

With the aircraft flying on the autopilot, this selection caused the aircraft to turn sharply and head towards Bogata and most importantly an almost 2 mile high mountain. The Ground Proximity Warning System activated approximately twelve seconds before the crash. The captain and first officer reacted swiftly, but were unable to clear the mountain.

People were returning home for the Christmas Holidays. There were 163 people on-board the aircraft and only four passengers survived. The crash was the first U.S.-owned 757 accident and the highest death toll of any accident in Colombia. It all happened due to a mistake that occurred in less than 12 seconds. These people could not brag about tomorrow for it never came.

Use every moment you have to live out your life for God. Live your life with purpose, happiness and enjoyment so that no second may be wasted. Follow the will of God and accept God�s plan of salvation, for it cannot be accepted after death. Listen for God�s call and do today what you may not be able to do tomorrow.

AskMe #2671339 10/05/12 06:51 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Revelation 3:20 (NLT)
20 Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends.

In this verse Jesus is talking to the Church of Laodicea. As Jesus speaks to the various churches in the book of Revelation, Jesus first speaks words of their good values, then offers a rebuke of their issues and follows up with words of encouragement. In verse 20 Jesus is speaking to The Church saying He is calling out to them and He is waiting for them to invite Him in so that He may fellowship with them in a close and intimate way.

Jesus wants to be in our lives so much He calls out to us to open up and let Him in. Sometime we push Jesus away, while at other times we allow Jesus to use His power through us.

Tim Keller tells the following story about the power of Christ's resurrection:
A minister was in Italy, and there he saw the grave of a man who had died centuries before who was an unbeliever and completely against Christianity, but a little afraid of it too. So the man had a huge stone slab put over his grave so he would not have to be raised from the dead in case there is a resurrection from the dead. He had insignias put all over the slab saying, "I do not want to be raised from the dead. I don't believe in it." Evidently, when he was buried, an acorn must have fallen into the grave. So a hundred years later the acorn had grown up through the grave and split that slab. It was now a tall towering oak tree. The minister looked at it and asked, "If an acorn, which has power of biological life in it, can split a slab of that magnitude, what can the acorn of God's resurrection power do in a person's life?"

Keller comments:
The minute you decide to receive Jesus as Savior and Lord, the power of the Holy Spirit comes into your life. It's the power of the resurrection�the same thing that raised Jesus from the dead �. Think of the things you see as immovable slabs in your life�your bitterness, your insecurity, your fears, your self-doubts. Those things can be split and rolled off. The more you know him, the more you grow into the power of the resurrection. [Nancy Guthrie, editor, Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross (Crossway, 2009), p. 136]

I pray everyone would open their hearts to Jesus Christ when you feel His presence and His desire to enter into your life. I pray you would allow Jesus to fellowship with you, talking with you and guiding your directions in life. May Christ always bless you and give you hope and happiness in life. Amen.

AskMe #2672019 10/08/12 06:55 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
James 5:13-18 (NLT)
13 Are any of you suffering hardships? You should pray. Are any of you happy? You should sing praises. 14 Are any of you sick? You should call for the elders of the church to come and pray over you, anointing you with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 Such a prayer offered in faith will heal the sick, and the Lord will make you well. And if you have committed any sins, you will be forgiven. 16 Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results. 17 Elijah was as human as we are, and yet when he prayed earnestly that no rain would fall, none fell for three and a half years! 18 Then, when he prayed again, the sky sent down rain and the earth began to yield its crops.

In these verses from the Apostle James we are directed how to act, both under affliction and in prosperity. There is to be prayer for the sick and Christians are directed to acknowledge their faults one to another, and to pray one for another. Then finally we are to see the results of prayer as prayers have been established in our lives.

E. M. Bounds, in his book �Power Through Prayer� said, �We are constantly on a stretch, if not on a strain, to devise new methods, new plans, new organizations to advance the Church and secure enlargement and efficiency for the gospel . . . The Church is looking for better methods; God is looking for better men.�

God has given us many ways accomplish prayer like: Personal prayer, Public prayer, Meditative prayer, Intercessory prayer, Prevailing Prayer, Prayer without ceasing. All these and more were given to us in order to facilitate a culture and life of prayer. However in 2005, LifeWay Christian Resources surveyed more than 1,300 evangelical leaders from around the world to determine what they perceived to be the "Top 10 Issues Facing Today's Church." Number one was Prayer: The need for more ongoing, passionate prayer in both personal and church life.

We need righteous people earnestly praying for our nation, for our leaders, for our churches, for our people. Will you be one of those willing to pray?

AskMe #2672367 10/08/12 10:41 PM
J
J
Most of the Church Fathers don't believe that the Apostle James wrote that Epistle. They believed it was written by James the bishop of Jeruseleum.

A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
John 5:1-9 (NIV)
1 Some time later, Jesus went up to Jerusalem for one of the Jewish festivals. 2 Now there is in Jerusalem near the Sheep Gate a pool, which in Aramaic is called Bethesda and which is surrounded by five covered colonnades. 3 Here a great number of disabled people used to lie�the blind, the lame, the paralyzed. 5 One who was there had been an invalid for thirty-eight years. 6 When Jesus saw him lying there and learned that he had been in this condition for a long time, he asked him, �Do you want to get well?� 7 �Sir,� the invalid replied, �I have no one to help me into the pool when the water is stirred. While I am trying to get in, someone else goes down ahead of me.� 8 Then Jesus said to him, �Get up! Pick up your mat and walk.� 9 At once the man was cured; he picked up his mat and walked.

This is the story of the Pool of Bethesda. The name Bethesda means �house of mercy�. It was said an angel would come from time to time to stir the waters and the first person to enter the water after the stirring of the waters would be healed.

Here we find a man that cannot walk. There are no wheelchairs. The pool of water is not fitted with rails or ramps for the disabled. The only way for this man to get there was by the mercy of his family and friends who would bring him in the morning and pick him back up in the evening.

Today though is this man�s fortunate day; for the Son of God walks up to him and asks him an important question, �Do you want to be healed?� Now remember this is Jesus. Jesus knows the suffering the man has endured. Jesus knows the man has been coming for thirty years. Jesus is not asking this question out of lack of information because He already knows the answer. Jesus wants the man to respond.

How does the man respond? Instead of saying yes-- he gave was an excuse as to why he was there. �I have no one to help me into the pool when the water is stirred. While I am trying to get in, someone else goes down ahead of me.�

For thirty years this man had others carry him to the pool each morning. For thirty years he took handouts. For thirty years others came and picked him back up and carried him home. For thirty years others attended to his needs. Yet there was no one around for those thirty years to help him get in the pool. Amazing isn�t it! Or was it that the man enjoyed the attention more than his desire to be healed?

There are stories of addicts whose families have helped for years and yet there has been no healing. Why is that? The addict enjoyed the comforts or attention others were providing more than they wanted to be healed. The same was true for the man at Bethesda. He was enjoying the comforts others were providing and they enabled him by having a daily routine for themselves of taking him to the pool.

You can assist a person who wants help and genuinely wants to change. But when the person has no desire to change you are enabling their problem. Those who for thirty years carried the man down to the pool enabled him to feel pity and still enjoy comforts. For his answer wasn�t yes I want to be healed, but was instead and excuse of why he had not been healed.

Are you enabling or assisting? Ask does the person really want to change or are they happy where they are? Are they making excuses or saying help me through this for the betterment of myself?

AskMe #2672725 10/10/12 06:48 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Acts 1:6-7 (NIV)
6 Then they gathered around him and asked him, �Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?� 7 He said to them: �It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.�

In these two verses there is a lot of information to discern. The Disciples have gathered to see Jesus before His return to heaven. They have concerns about the kingdom of Israel over what is to happen as they perceived. So Jesus corrects them�letting them know it is not their place to know or be concerned. Then He tells them the Holy Spirit will come upon them and they will be His witnesses in Jerusalem, Judea, and Samaria and to all ends of the earth. It is then they would present the Good News of the gospel as Jesus had previously commanded.

For the first time since researchers began tracking the religious identity of Americans, fewer than half said they were Protestants, a steep decline from 40 years ago when Protestant churches claimed the loyalty of more than two-thirds of the population. [Source New York Times Online, Oct 9, 2012]

Years ago Jesus told His disciples to go first to Jerusalem, which was home for them. Next they were to go to Judea, which were those who were close to them. Next they were to travel to Samaria to those who were different and distant from them. And finally any place they had not covered they were to go and be witnesses for Jesus.

It seems from the statistics just published, we as Christians, have failed to reach out to those near us and to those who are different from us. A younger generation has fallen into a group of having no religion, which has created the diminished number of Protestants.

Matthew 28:19-20 contains what has come to be called the Great Commission: �Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.� Jesus gave this command to the apostles shortly before He ascended into heaven, and it essentially outlines what Jesus expected the apostles, and those who followed them, to do in His absence.

In the original Greek, the only specific command in Matthew 28:19-20 is �make disciples.� The Great Commission instructs us to make disciples while we are going throughout the world and while we are going about our daily activities.

Each of us who have accepted Christ as Lord and Savior are to share the message of salvation that comes through Jesus Christ with others. We are to do so as we go about our daily lives. We are to live out what Christ has taught us so that we may also teach others by our lives. Have you let others knows about your love for The Lord? If not maybe it�s time to do so.

AskMe #2673028 10/11/12 05:54 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
James 1:19-20 (NIV)
19 My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, 20 because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires.

English Minister and Commentator, Matthew Henry writes, saying -- it is our duty rather to hear God�s word, and apply our minds to understand it, than to speak according to our own fancies or the opinions of men, and to run into heat and passion thereupon. Let not such errors as that of God�s being the occasion of men�s sin ever be hastily, much less angrily, mentioned by you; but be ready to hear and consider what God�s word teaches in all such cases. Instead of censuring God under our trials, let us open our ears and hearts to hear what he will say to us. Whenever matters of difference arise among Christians, each side should be willing to hear the other. People are often stiff in their own opinions because they are not willing to hear what others have to offer against them: whereas we should be swift to hear reason and truth on all sides, and be slow to speak any thing that should prevent this: and, when we do speak, there should be nothing of wrath; for a soft answer turneth away wrath.

In February 2009, a 27-year-old woman from Fort Pierce, Florida, walked into a McDonald's restaurant and ordered a 10-piece McNuggets meal. Well, that's when things got really tough for this hungry woman. The person behind the counter took the order and received payment. The McDonald's employee then discovered that they were out of those bite-sized, warm, tasty McNuggets. The employee told the customer that the restaurant had run out of McNuggets, and she would have to get something else from the menu. The customer asked for her money back. The employee said all sales are final, and she could have a larger priced item from the menu if she wanted.

The customer got angry. She wanted McNuggets�not a Big Mac, not a McRib, not a Quarter Pounder. She was angry, this was clearly an emergency, and she knew what to do in an emergency: she took out her cell phone and called 911 to complain. Apparently the 911 workers didn't take her seriously, because the McNuggets-loving woman called 911 three times to get help!

She never got her McNuggets that night, but she did later get a ticket from police for misusing 911.

Anger twists our perspective. It skews our judgment. Anger makes small things big and big things small. When we're angry, having to eat a burger instead of McNuggets is a disaster, and calling 911 is not a big deal.

Psalm 37:8 says -- Cease from anger, and forsake wrath; Do not fret, it leads only to evildoing.

Are you finding yourself angry and out of control? The Lord teaches us there is nothing wrong in seeking counsel from others about our issues. In fact we are encouraged to share with one another those problems that plague us. May the Lord show you how to put aside your anger and keep peace in your heart.

AskMe #2673462 10/12/12 07:14 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Proverbs 12:25 (NLT)
25 Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up.

The consequence of worry is a heaviness that is felt in the heart. It is a burdensome load of care, fear, and sorrow pressing down and making life disabling. It can sink a person and lead them to a state of depression where they are rendered hopeless. Those inclined to worry should keep watch for worry and pray against it. A delightful remedy is a good word from God. This good word can come directly from God, through His word or through another whose heart seeks to do God�s will by showing love and cheer to another.

There is a story I enjoy sharing from time to time which helps me remember to be encouraging to others, to let them know I care and I am willing to listen. I was working out of town and it was time for dinner so I walked down the street looking for a place to eat. I saw a place I had always wanted to try so I went inside, but the restaurant was very busy. I was asked if I would mind sitting at the bar where I could order my meal. I saw the line of people waiting and I said sure, would be glad to.

There were a few empty spots and next to where I was placed was an almost empty beer glass. When the waiter took the order for my meal he removed the glass and what was left of the beer. Seconds later a man walked back and noticed the glass was gone. He started complaining to the bartender he had just stepped away to the restroom and wanted to know where his beer went. After a few exchanges of words the bartender said, �I�ll give you another glass on the house�, this calmed the gentleman.

As the bartender went to get him a fresh beer I looked over and said, �It sounds like you have had a difficult day.� The response was, �Man you just don�t know!� So I said, �Well I�ll be glad to listen.� So the man started telling me how he was worried about looking for a job. He had been in jail for a short period and now no one wanted to hire him. So I tried to be encouraging that a job would come along. Then I asked, �Do you have a church you attend?� The man answered, �I have been going with my grandmother since I got out of jail. When I was in jail a minister came in and told me about Jesus and I was saved. I haven�t learned much yet about The Bible, but I�m trying to read some. My grandmother is a Christian lady and she is helping me out right now.� I said, �It seems like you have a very caring grandmother.� He told me she was very caring and knew some people in the church who might be able to get him a job. I asked if he had pursued that opportunity and he said no. Then I told him it sounded like his grandmother was willing to help him and willing to help him find a job through the church. I said, �It must be really encouraging to know someone like her loves you� to which he said �Yes!� Then I said, �You know Jesus also loves you and wants the best for you and I�m sure with His help and your grandmother you will do ok.�

With those words said the man looked at me and said, �God sent you to talk to me today. I�m going home right now to talk to my grandmother. Maybe she can help me find a job. I�m willing to do anything.� I said it sounded like a great plan. With that he got up, thanked me again and walked out of the restaurant. Still sitting there was the full beer glass he first complained about.

The man thought the beer was going to solve his issues when what he needed was some encouragement, some understanding, and words of good cheer. May God be with those who need a kind word in their life. May God lift the burdens of your heart.

AskMe #2674173 10/15/12 06:37 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
James 4:1-3 (NLT)
1 What is causing the quarrels and fights among you? Don�t they come from the evil desires at war within you? 2 You want what you don�t have, so you scheme and kill to get it. You are jealous of what others have, but you can�t get it, so you fight and wage war to take it away from them. Yet you don�t have what you want because you don�t ask God for it. 3 And even when you ask, you don�t get it because your motives are all wrong�you want only what will give you pleasure.

James writes the Jewish Christians to reprove them for the fights taking place among them. The Jews were a very seditious group and had frequent wars with the Romans. They were a very quarrelsome divided people, often fighting among themselves; and many of the corrupt Christians. James informs them that the origin of their wars and fighting was not (as they pretended) a true zeal for their country, and for the honor of God, but that the cause was their prevailing lusts.

I�m going to apply James writing to American politics. In the United States of America, We the People, are called Americans. But it seems Americans at times forget where they come from. They forget this country was built together by people struggling for a common cause. They forget in times of war people have put aside differences to fight alongside of each other.

When it�s election time we see groups turning against each other. There is name calling that takes place. Lies begin to be told. Groups strategize how they might quiet the voices of groups they oppose. In some cases even states are opposing states. Let�s just say politics as we know it becomes a fight, almost a battle about who is going to win.

We all need to remember as Americans we should want the betterment of our country. We should be willing to give up some of our jealous motives to see a better country. We should be willing to work together instead of fighting and quarreling. Yet, just like the Christians James wrote to above we seem to have a problem. Most often the problem is because of the things we want and not what is for everyone�s benefit.

As the elections approach pray for our country. Pray that We the People, Americans, work together for a common cause. Pray we have leadership that guides us not from their jealous desires, but for the desire of others. Pray for peace and calmness. May God continue to bless our country and help it through the difficult times we face.

I know there are other countries too that face similar problems may we all pray together as one people that God�s will is accomplished throughout the world.

AskMe #2674441 10/16/12 06:34 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A

John 21:15-17 (NLT)
15 After breakfast Jesus asked Simon Peter, �Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?�
�Yes, Lord,� Peter replied, �you know I love you.� �Then feed my lambs,� Jesus told him. 16 Jesus repeated the question: �Simon son of John, do you love me?� �Yes, Lord,� Peter said, �you know I love you.� �Then take care of my sheep,� Jesus said. 17 A third time he asked him, �Simon son of John, do you love me?� Peter was hurt that Jesus asked the question a third time. He said, �Lord, you know everything. You know that I love you.� Jesus said, �Then feed my sheep.

Jesus waits until after breakfast to ask Peter an important set of questions. Most likely Jesus wanted Peter to enjoy his breakfast before asking him something very difficult. In the verses above Jesus asks Peter three times if he loves Him. In each response Peter says, �Yes, you know I love you.� You don�t see in the English what is hidden in the Greek language; the first two times Jesus asked Peter if he loved Him -- Jesus was asking if the love for Him was of a godly nature; loving him deeply, fondly and dearly. The response Peter gave was yes I love you, �but as a friend�. The third time Jesus asked Peter, He said �Do you love me as a friend?� to which Peter responded again, �You know I love you as a friend.�

In Matthew 22:34-37 it is written, �But when the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sadducees with his reply, they met together to question him again. One of them, an expert in religious law, tried to trap him with this question: �Teacher, which is the most important commandment in the law of Moses?� Jesus replied, �You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment.�

Peter was there when Jesus was confronted by the Pharisees. Peter knew He was to love God with all his heart and soul. What Peter was missing was that his love for God was to be above any love for anyone else. His love for Christ and God was to be a godly love, agapaō , instead of a phileō love or brotherly love.

In our lives we need to ensure we place our love for God first and then we are able to care for others in the proper way. A good example in the Bible is Samson. Delilah told Samson if �he loved her he would tell her the secret of his strength.� Instead of listening first to God, Samson gave up his secret, lost his strength and was tortured by the Philistines. Had Samson put God first and listened to God he would have kept his secret and kept his strength. Instead he let Delilah maliciously bait him by tempting him with his love for her over his love for God.

So I encourage you to love the Lord your God with all your heart and soul. Value what God has to say over what people have to save. Value God�s judgment over man�s judgment. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.

Page 57 of 103 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 102 103

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 975 guests, and 53 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy, Ingrid Guerci, Wifey02
71,826 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation