AskMe didn't post today, so I hope he doesn't mind me posting the following. Hopefully he will return tomorrow.
This was written by Ilias the Presbyter around the 12th century (from the Philokalia);

"No Christian believing rightly in God should ever be off his guard. He should always be on the lookout for temptation, so that when it comes he will not be surprised or disturbed, but will gladly endure the toil and affliction it causes, and so will understand what he is saying when he chants with the prophet: 'Prove me O Lord, and try me' (Ps 26;2 LXX). For the prophet did not say, 'Thy correction has destroyed me', but, 'it has upheld me to the end' (Ps 18:45-LXX).

The first step towards excellence is fear of God, the last is loving desire for Him.

The first step towards spiritual perfection is spiritual knowledge put into practice and practice imbued with spiritual knowledge. For practice without such knowledge is of no value, and so is such knowledge when unaccompanied by practice.

Practice where the body is concerned consists of fasting and vigil; where the mouth is concerned it consists of psalmody. But prayer is better than psalmody, and silence is more valuable than speech. In the case of the hands, practice I what they do uncomplainingly; and of the feet, it is what they do as soon as they are urged to do it.

Where the soul is concerned, practice is self control accompanied by simplicity, and simplicity animated by self control.

In the case of the intellect, practice is prayer in contemplation and contemplation in prayer.