FF,
Well, I read the words you wrote, AGAIN, very carefully. You are right. Deeply depressed doesn't even cover it, really.
After I posted to you that I was going to run some errands this morning, I made it to one of the errands. I got out of there as fast as I could because, truthfully...I just didn't know what to do.
Things have been spiraling out of control for me for eight months now. Then add that to the compilation of pain from my life before then.
It's odd...I always thought someone would have to make a conscious choice to commit suicide. I thought they just decided and then did it. That has never been an option for me before because I have children, and I have an obligation and a desire to protect them. I have never felt I could make such a selfish choice - one that would hurt them that way...no matter how bad things got.
This past week there have been 2-3 times that it has not felt like a choice. It has felt like something I could not control. It has scared the living hell out of me. I seriously considered admitting myself to a hospital on each of those occassions.
Today, after my first errand...I knew I couldn't go on like this anymore. It takes more than I have. I considered driving myself to a hospital, but that has so many repercussions. I realize death has permanent repercussions, but if there is another alternative I would rather opt for it. If I hospitalized myself, I would have an awful lot of explaining to do since everyone in my life thinks I am the "happy newlywed". I also have a lot of responsibilities. I have two teenagers, and a business to run. My income is also needed and if I don't work, I don't get paid. Self-employment has it's advantages, but sick leave isn't one of them.
So I drove myself to the MC's office - without an appointment. She wasn't there. As luck would have it (or God, perhaps), there was another lady there and she was available to talk to me. We talked about some things. She taught me some relaxation techniques. Most importantly, I realize that my personal state is pretty dire. I have to address that RIGHT NOW, as you said. My marriage is important, but I am unable to participate in it. I can't even participate in life right now, much less a marriage.
I am not sure what I'm going to do about that, because I don't wish to separate. I don't want to risk losing my marriage by neglecting Recovery, but I have some personal Recovery to do. Can they be done simultaneously? I don't know. What do you think?
What I do know is this...I have GOT to take care of myself. I can't go on like this anymore. The way I have been handling things is suicide...just a little slower. I either run around trying to take care of everyone else's needs, or I simply isolate myself from everyone and everything. I live on a diet that consists of Xanax, cigarettes, and Diet Coke with Lime. I have lost 32 lbs. since D-Day. 20 of those lbs. was in the first month. The other 12 has been this past week.
This past week I discovered definite confirmation that OW is pregnant. I know her due date, and it is within a time frame that there is a possibility that it is Patriot's child.
I love Patriot with all my heart. I will stand by him no matter what happens. But, I can only do so much. I can only do as much as I am capable of. I'm doing the best I can. Unfortunately, that hasn't been enough thus far, and I am going to have to do something else because my children need me.
I am struggling with so many things right now. It's as though a lifetime of pain and rejection has caught up with me, which is weird because I have always been pretty adept at expressing my feelings. I thought I always dealt with my emotions, and picked myself back up. All of this past eight months events has just been one time too many.
With that said, I would like to address some of the statements and questions posed by some others here on Patriot's thread, specifically because I am in great need of help and the more accurately people understand the situation and where I'm at, the more helpful their advice may be. I hope so. I sure do need it.
From Patriot:
She has no control over her life. I have destroyed it and that is that. Now, she is just waiting to die
What I am feeling now is an accumulation of things from other people over a lifetime. You are responsible for your part in it, but you are NOT responsible for all of it. Truth be known, you are the only one of all of those people who gives a damn whether I heal or not. You have been the only one that has even cared whether they hurt me or not. I am grateful for all the times you have been there for me. I am grateful that you posted this, simply trying to help me. Thank you for still being here for me.
Also from Patriot:
Had I known that I would take away someone’s will to live, turn them into a recluse that hides in the bedroom and begs for me to be near but get the hell away, and hate myself everyday for even still being able to breathe…. I have to believe that I would have made such a different choice.
You know how big I am on honesty and openness. So I will try to be frank, and still protect your feelings. If I fail, please offer me another way to express myself that accomplishes both...
That statement makes me angry. Had you have known??? What did you think was going to happen? This statement makes it sound like it was okay to hurt me...just not this badly. You knew how devastated I would be. You chose to do what you did, regardless.
Not that it matters now. I made my mistakes.
Exactly. What's done is done. I can't change it, and neither can you. The damage has been done. I'm not sure what I can do now to make things better, but I have a suggestion for you. Perhaps you could save that energy you spend on regret. Perhaps you could use that energy, instead, to bravely explore what it was that enabled you to do what you did in the first place, and then kindly disenable it. I know you are working on this, but please don't let this be one of those things that gets put on a back burner. Delve into it the way you delve so passionately into the debates you so love to engage in on this forum, or the Calculus, or the online game you used to play.
She wants to be happy. She misses it and has said so. For her, it stops here and can go no further. For me, I would take this desire and seek out what did make me happy.
It is true that I do want to be happy. Maybe there are some people who WANT to wallow in misery. I am not one of them. I DO want to be happy. I DO miss it. You say you would seek out what makes you happy. I don't see anything. If I could find a way, I would. I'm looking. I'm trying. I know you don't understand.
Once I have engaged in an escape, I can recharge and be stronger the next time I have to face an issue. Also, time makes an issue less painful for me. My natural survival mechanisms just work that way.
Mine used to work that way, too.
And, the more frustrated she sees me getting because I want so badly to move forward and it doesn’t happen, the more compelled she is to actually force me to leave or leave herself…. Because on top of all this, she can’t stand making me unhappy any further either.
This is true. It's miserable enough just being miserable without making someone you care about miserable, too. I don't want you to be unhappy, and I don't wish to impose some life sentence on you. Why do you find this difficult to comprehend?
I find my wife to be the greatest person I know. I love her and she fulfills my life
and this is fulfilling HOW??? My fear is that you love the person I used to be. The happy one. I fear that you are waiting for her to return, and if she doesn't you will not be happy. I am not that person anymore. Even in the best case scenario, I will not be that person again.
From Melodylane:
Y'all need to stop telling her to "get over it." She ain't going to "get ovcr it" until she is over it. The past is "not done" for her. What she is experiencing is a NORMAL part of recovery that is NECCESSARY. You are AGGRAVATING the situation by telling her that her feelings are inappropriate. THEY ARE NOT. You are making her feel hopeless by telling her this. You are making her feel there is something wrong with her.
I will extend that this is true. Some of what I am feeling seems to go quite a bit beyond necessary, though. However, I will extend that it does make me feel like something is wrong with me. To me, the way I am reacting seems like a natural response. It kind of makes me frustrated sometimes, because Patriot and the MC seem to be giving me that message...that I am the problem. It makes me want to say, "Why am I the one who is the problem??? Why is HE perceived as the hero just because he is sorry for what he did??? Why is it that I was the one who remained faithful, met his needs all along, and suddenly I am the perceived as the villain because I am not responding with what they consider a reasonable amount of pain???"
From Trix:
She needs your reassurance...that you have the stamina to accept your part in the blame for how hurt she still feels and you are here for the long haul...that you are committed to her and your marriage.
I only need to hear this if it is completely true. If Patriot has doubts he can remain here for the long haul, no matter what, I desperately need to know that. I CAN NOT AFFORD to be blindsided again, or to be falsely led. I need to know what I am up against here.
She also sounds either clinically depressed or hormonally challenged. Is she on AD's? Is she prone to PMS? Is this a constant thing or are the feelings fluctuating in days...
Well, I don't know what the "clinical" definition is...but if this isn't it, I surely don't know what is. I started taking Zoloft this afternoon.
As far as hormonally challenged goes...WHAT hormones??? Sorry...that was a feeble attempt at humor. I am lucky enough to be smack dab in the middle of menopause at the ripe old age of 35. I had cancer when I was 27. The removal of certain body parts and the radiating of others has brought about early menopause, along with the inability to have more children. That fact has me feeling like it's just one more way I am inferior to OW. It sure gives the self-esteem a beating, particularly when some of the treatments for my cancer has left me with secondary conditions that are incurable, such as lymphedema. I'm kind of self-conscious about it. I do take a low-dose birth control pill for estrogen. I don't think it's cutting it, though, because some of the menopausal symptoms still seem to exist. I have an appointment soon to discuss these issues with a physician.
From someone else:
Maybe you are right. Maybe it isn't going to work. It does look like it could be hopeless. It looks like nothing is working for you, and it could be that it is too late. It looks like you can't handle your wife being a feeling type person and it looks like you would prefer to be with someone who thinks more like you and goes by logic huh? Maybe someone who doesn't go by feelings. Maybe you can work on turning her into a logic type person.
Uh, Patriot...good luck turning me into someone else. This is scary advice. If you tell someone who is feeling hopeless that they are, in fact, hopeless, they just may believe you. Geez, AM I a hopeless case?
From Melody:
I think frozen needs to find an experienced counselor that specializes in affairs and/or grief counseling. As a parent whose child was killed a few years back, I can tell you that the devastation of an affair is right up there with the death of a child. I can't imagine a counselor telling me "to accept that the past is done and that you can make today and tomorrow better" [ie: get over it] when my son died.
I am so sorry for your loss - beyond words.
From Loy:
You can do things together, she can do things to heal herself, or you can do things to heal yourself and become stronger for her and you.
That would be nice.
From FF:
Encourage Froz to get some IC and AD's. You may want to change MC or call the Harley's instead.
Sought out the IC myself today. She was very nice, and I wouldn't mind seeing her again. I don't think she has much experience with infidelity, however. She, along with our MC, keep telling me to leave the past behind and move forward. She doesn't understand the need to know details. How can all these MC's think it is healthy for there to be so many secrets in a marriage??? With Infidelity being such a big issue in today's society, you would think there would be more counselors who had experience with it!
I have suggested the Harleys to Patriot before.
From B2M:
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The key difference is she sees no way to keep the past from ruining the future.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which is much worse choice of hers then your choice to have A...
It kills too, emotions, family, happinnes TODAY (without Today there is no Tomorrow at all...)
Well, hell. If people here have the right to post what they want, I have the right to respond to it the way I want, too. What a load of crap this statement is! You are ACTUALLY going to compare my feelings of hopelessness and depression to the conscious choice of someone to have an affair????
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
She does not have any escapes. She says they are fake. She calls everything fake, it seems.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Except her feelings...
Don't you get how deep is pain to put everything you have in your life away, as worthless, fake, and just have one 'reality' - that pain in your soul...??
Isn't that the message, Froz?
Hmmmm, let me see...NO! That is not the message. I don't have any desire to conjure up pain to prove a point. I would really rather just be happy. The whole "fake" comment by Patriot was taken a bit out of context. What I actually called "fake" was our marriage. What I meant when I said that was that most others here are REBUILDING their marriage. In our situation, just about the time we would have been growing close in our relationship, Patriot began his A. We then got married. So we are simply trying to BUILD something...not REbuild it. I also meant that it is difficult for me to act in a way that isn't genuine. I don't like acting "fake". He said that it bothered him when I called our marriage fake, so I no longer say it. The fact is, it isn't fake. We do have the legal document that says it's real. I just hate being "fake" around everyone else. I get tired pasting that "happy look" on my face at work and around family. Almost daily, I hear comments about how great I look, so marriage must be agreeing with me, or how easy it is for me to lose weight because I'm so happy now that I'm married to the perfect guy, etc...It's a business setting, so I just smile and go on...but it makes me uncomfortable to lie, or even to not be open with someone. I realize that I am the one who has chosen not to reveal this to everyone. The fact is, that would make me even more uncomfortable, so I simply chose the lesser of the two evils. Also, it wouldn't be very professional of me to spill all to my clients, and they are the ones who usually make such comments.
From Drucilla:
She's still working on acceptance.
I am trying, but it is difficult. It is very hard to accept and understand how he can say he loves me, unless he just SUDDENLY fell in love with me after the A. I have a hard time understanding. I have an even more difficult time accepting what he has done. I do not understand how someone could lie and lie for such a long time (18 or so months) to someone they supposedly care about, betray them over and over again, and never feel guilty enough to stop.
I guess I could grasp a short-lived affair, and then someone maybe saying to themselves "What the HECK am I doing?" I guess that could be a mistake. But this is a different scenario. He actually told me that he never even really felt guilty. So I am somehow trying to accept the fact that this man, who is so remorseful now, is capable of lying, cheating, deceiving, putting my life and well-being and that of my childrens, without even feeling guilty, for a year and a half with someone he didn't even love. It is hard to accept that. It is equally as difficult not to wonder what else he is capable of.
From Toprope:
As when I first responded to FROZ when she was having a meltdown (about NOT getting answers to HER questions) .......I'll simply ask that question yet again ......have the Details that she's expressed a desire to know been Given??
And hopefully in a NON "Teeth Pulling" manner?
In my case,
My ability to get the answers to my questions (sometimes the same information just asked in a slightly different way) ....was definitely the KEY to my getting myself into some semblance of a "personal" recovery.
Sadly, I couldn't work on us, UNTIL I'd cobbled back together some form of "me".
I will always be grateful to my W for eventually getting past her own discomfort (indeed, her own fears) and Giving me what "I" needed .....even at cost to herself.
Truly, she is the ONLY Person who COULD give this gift to me .......and I (especially NOW) treat it as just that.
Then, after I got some of my own "self" more together ......I've been better able to reconnect and work on Recovering the M.
Okay, TR...the answer you got from Patriot on this one and my answer differ greatly.
His answer was this:
top rope,
bud... I get what your shoveling. This is not completely up to me. Sure, if you want to ridicule me for screwing this up so far, you have that right. Hell, I do it all the time... so grab a paddle. I can not change that I WAS to much of a coward to just answer every single nasty question about the A. I will never say that I have done al the right things.... But she doesn't want to hear it all now either. Mix in the fact that most of the details about refined points, like "what did OW say specifically" are fuzzy beyond recognition at best. Blame me for that as well if you wish. Won't make it any less true. So, she is mad at me for not doing it when she 'could' and I am trapped because she doesn't 'want' it now.
My answer is this:
Yes, I am angry. It may have saved me a lot of further grief had he answered my questions in the beginning, truthfully. He didn't. That is a fact. I DO believe that having secrets between us builds walls and continues to keep them there.
I did say to him that I wasn't sure if I wanted to go back and do it now because I was afraid it would hurt too much. BUT, not even a week ago...I woke up feeling a bit emotionally detached and able to handle some answers. We had the time, so I asked questions. He stated before that his fear was that I would ask such specific questions and he wouldn't remember the answers. This time, I began with very broad questions. He said before that things kind of began with flirting on a business trip to Chicago, but that there was no physical encounter on that trip. The question I asked him last week was "How did things progress from casual flirting to 'meet me at a hotel room'? He said he didn't remember. I asked him another similarly broad question. His answer was also that he did not remember. I didn't see any point "pulling teeth", so I calmly told him that I didn't believe the discussion was going anywhere and I didn't wish to continue it.
Okay, I'm spent now.
Thank you to all who responded. It means a lot that you would take the time to try to help someone you don't even know.
Froz