Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
M
M
" For the most part, I please myself during sex, as he is enjoying my breasts. Sorry, not sure how much we can say here."

ummm... you please YOURSELF... you aren't talking about masturbation here are you? Because if you are, what is the difference?

i am truly trying to understand here.

mlhb

God first, family second, and all else will fall into place.

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by mlhb
" For the most part, I please myself during sex, as he is enjoying my breasts. Sorry, not sure how much we can say here."

ummm... you please YOURSELF... you aren't talking about masturbation here are you? Because if you are, what is the difference?

i am truly trying to understand here.

mlhb

Yes I DO, because he WON'T. He doesn't want to try, he has a few times, got impatient, didn't want to take the time to try again, so would prefer me to do it myself.

It is NOT what I want! I would love for him to pleasure me himself, either manually, orally or during sex, but he doesn't.

S
S
Originally Posted by aprilshowers
Yes I DO, because he WON'T. He doesn't want to try, he has a few times, got impatient, didn't want to take the time to try again, so would prefer me to do it myself.

It is NOT what I want! I would love for him to pleasure me himself, either manually, orally or during sex, but he doesn't.

Ok, now I'm fully with you. Any man that won't take the time to please his wife needs a good kick in the a$$. That is inexcusable.

A
OP Offline
A
And now I'm struggling with something else! Not even sure most would deem this something to get upset about, but with everything else that's happened over the course of the last 3 days, it's just one more thing that scares me and has me worried.

H and I went for breakfast, then he brought me home, called me later, while looking for parts for his motorcycle. I got online and looked up several places for him, and gave him phone numbers.

He was suppose to be picking up parts and going to his friend's house to work on it. That was at 1:00 this afternoon. I called him at 6:30 at his friends, and he had just gotten there. I asked where he had been and he told me he had to go out of town, 1 hour away.

I'm just hyper about why he didn't tell me he was going out of town, or ask me to go with him, as he knows I've been wanting to get out of town for a break. If even for safety sake, it would have been nice for him to have just let me know.

I guess at this point, I'm not sure what I trust or don't. I'm just on edge and very confused.

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by sadbutstrong

Ok, now I'm fully with you. Any man that won't take the time to please his wife needs a good kick in the a$$. That is inexcusable.

Exactly! I have to say, almost every single time we have sex, it's the same. Many times I won't bother, if I have to do it myself, it's just not the same. It also doesn't feel loving to me, it's just an act we perform, and it's over. Sad, huh?

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
I see your point, and I think his talking to her bothered me because, him and I are having our problems, he seems to tune me out on the phone, and cuts me off short. Then he talks to her for 1/2 hour with no problem. Just touches a raw spot with me.

Are you PLEASANT to talk to? Does he ENJOY talking to you? Should he have reason to ENJOY talking to you? Would you enjoy talking to you if you were him?

Well, this is hard to explain. When I feel loved, safe and happy, yes, I'm a vivacious outgoing loving woman. I'm very sexual and open. But there have been so many instances over the years, that have shut that part of me down, and seems to be slowly closing the 'child' in me.

So, I have to say that when he comes back at something I ask, say or express with anger, snapping at me, hurtful thoughtless words, it's painful and then I might cry, lash out or give up. What's the use, if I'm hurt when I reach out?

Somehow I doubt this given the fact that you fight so much that he has left. April, you can't blame him for trying to get you off the phone if you are unpleasant.

You assume the separation was because of me? He suggested it, because of many reasons, and I finally agreed because I was also being hurt, neglected and ignored.

I AM concerned about that, and he has told me, it was after a fight with me, on the phone. OK, so he's told me, if he's not lying about it, but now what? I asked what the fight was about, but he can't remember, or so he says.

I think if you resolve the lovebusting problem and make your marriage a safe, PLEASANT place for him he will be more inclined to forgo masturbation. I suspect he has strong sexual needs but that the stress in the marriage has made sex with you too stressful.

[color:#FF0000]I'm not saying I don't have my place in the problems, but he hasn't made it a very safe place for me either.

April, if I were you, I would run to the bookstore and get the book Lovebusters. I suspect that might be the eyeopener for you that it was for me.

You know, I thought I ordered that book last year, I'll have to look around, I have allot of things packed for storage.

A
OP Offline
A
When asked, he tells me he is angry because I'm too critical of him.

What are you doing to change this?

He also says that I don't trust him. I'm trying to remember what else.

What does he mean by this? Do you think he is having an affair? Have you investigated to rule out an affair?

Right now, it's almost impossible for me to do much about it, since I'm struggling myself with feeling neglected, ignored, unloved and unsafe.

I'm tired and not sure I want to try anymore, and I know I shouldn't make big decisions when I'm feeling like this. So for now, I'm kinda frozen, as explained in my first post.

You know, I still don't think he's having an affair, although one never knows, but there's no real indication of one, if anything, I believe he's been using magazines and possibly videos more than he's told me.

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Pepperband
When asked, he tells me he is angry because I'm too critical of him.

He also says that I don't trust him. I'm trying to remember what else.

Time to put your faith to work April

"Where either of us needs to ask forgiveness of the other, help us to do so."

Ask your H for forgiveness.
Pray for a tender heart towards your H.
Pray for your attitude to be corrected by the Lord.

If you trust in the Lord, praying to become a better wife is not done with reluctance.
The reasons you are hurt are legitimate. Your response is not in keeping with your faith.

Nagging and fighting will make this worse, not better.

With care & prayer,

Pep

Thank you Pep, although I must admit to not having much more fight in me.

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Brix
Yes, I WILL agree with you here. I do take my share of blame, for marrying my H, even if I knew he didn't share my values and beliefs.

I guess, now that we've been married for 10 years, and he's completely satisfied with SF through me, I just didn't understand why he did what he did twice, after telling me several times, he never needed that now, that he's with me.
If he infrequently wanks then why do you need to understand it? Give the guy some breathing room lest you suffocate him. The reason that he told you "he never needed that now" is b/c even when men have a fine sex life with their partners they still occasionally fantasize about others. What really matters is whether it impacts on his ability to sustain intimacy with you. If there isn't any real problem than why play the thought police.

Thank you for the 'crude' remark, when I'm hurting. Appreciate it!

Geesh!

Anyway thing is, it DOES affect his ability to sustain intimacy with me. There IS a real problem, thus why I'm here.

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by bitbucket
[quote=MelodyLane]
April, if I were you, I would run to the bookstore and get the book Lovebusters. I suspect that might be the eyeopener for you that it was for me.

Dead on and I second the motion.

April, I share the opinion of the other posters who think you're being controlling, and I'll tell you why I think so. You seem to be obsessing over what some here (including me) think is a trivial thing. You seem to want to control your husband's behavior. You seem to want him to believe the same way as you do, with statements like 'love should be enough to make him stop' and 'it hurts me so he should stop'. I personally see this as controlling and using emotional blackmail.

OK, I will agree with you, that I need to work on accepting him for who he is as to his beliefs. But on the other hand, I'd like to find a way to communicate to him, that I need intimacy, safety and to feel loved.

You have every right to feel how you feel about your husband's masturbating. But you know what? Thumping him on the head with a bible isn't going to help because he's not a believer anyway. Trying to guilt him into stopping isn't going to work - at best he'll get better about concealing it and will stop being honest with you about it. You seem to be indulging in the lovebuster called a 'selfish demand'.

I agree with this ...

Consider approaching him in a calm, respectful manner. Express how *you* feel when he masturbates - not how his masturbating *makes* you feel. Do you understand the difference? You're in charge of your feelings, not him. Calmly and respectfully discuss the issue and ask him to stop - and ask him what you can do to help.

Yes, I do understand the difference. Problem is, when I ask him what I can do to help, it goes back to him saying that I need to stop criticizing, not trusting him, etc. ... and there are many things he does or doesn't do, to cause me to not trust him, and anything I want to discuss with him, is criticism to him.

Maybe he senses that you're not always 'into' sex with him, and feels resentful about that? And just masturbates so he doesn't have to 'bother' you? There are a hundred possibilities, but you won't get to the root of the issue using your emotions or your faith as a club to bludgeon him into doing what yout want.

Well, how can I be 'into sex' if he'll never attempt to please me, and wants me to 'do myself' all the time? And when sex is an 'act' instead of expressing love?

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by howitfeels
Aprilshowers: Looks like I'm going to be a minority of one here. OK, so what? It's not the first time. It won't be the last.

I do not see you as being "too controlling," based on what you've said so far. I think you made a mistake in marrying someone who did not share your values. You admit that yourself. But that was then. This is now. You will make a HUGE mistake if you sacrifice your Christian beliefs and principles to make any man happy, or to please anonymous posters on an internet website. You gain nothing by surrendering the core of who you are.

DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY ASSUME BLAME FOR YOUR HUSBAND'S MASTURBATING AND FANTASIZING BECAUSE IT'S SOMEONES OPINION THAT YOU SHOULD. You should certainly listen to advice you've requested to receive. Consider it carefully. Accept what applies to you. Deep-six the rest. You don't have to accept everything to accept anything; being selective is fine. You're the only one on this thread who has personal knowledge of your circumstances. If you come to conclude that you have been "controlling" in some ways, after thinking about other posters' comments and advice, then you may choose to do something to correct this. If, with the best, most willing heart in the world, you can't apply the analysis and advice to you--when you've simply taken the words of Jesus at face value and applied them to what has happened in your life--then don't.

Do not make your husband's choices your fault. They are HIS choices. People are always saying around here that affairs are a choice, and there is no excuse for them on the part of the person having an affair, even if the BS made "mistakes" in the marriage. Same for you. Whatever you do, or don't do, did or didn't, he's the one who made the choice. Do not define yourself, or your worth as a woman, by his choices.

Thank you howitfeels, that's what I am doing here, I think.

Sometimes it's hard, because there's so much that members here don't know yet, I haven't talked about yet, etc. So they're judging only on what they've heard so far.

Thank you for the support, I so appreciate it. smile

M
M
Sometimes it's hard, because there's so much that members here don't know yet, I haven't talked about yet, etc. So they're judging only on what they've heard so far.

april, how do you expect anyone here to give you advice based on a story with only partial facts? Of course we are giving you advice based on what we have heard, what else would we base it on? crazy You can't give us partial facts and then expect to get good advice; that is just unrealisic and a WASTE OF OUR TIME.

People here want to help, but that is impossible if you play games and don't give them the facts. And THEN criticize them for giving you bad advice. That is very unfair. Let me know when you want to give the complete FACTS, because otherwise this is a waste of time. sigh....

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B
I have a somewhat different take on this subject. Masturbation is not a sin but it's a mistake in a relationship. You have the right to all of your husband's emotional and sexual energy and by diverting it in this way he is depriving you of something valuable.

Everybody says that masturbation relieves stress or is just a general release. OK, I get it BUT it also takes that sexual edge off that focuses the man on his wife. In discussions of sexless marriages (I know that yours is not one), people will say that sex is the glue that holds the relationship together, that smooths over conflict and that reconnects husband and wife. That is true.

It's not infidelity and it's not disloyalty but it should stop because you are being deprived of something vital to your M - that is, 100% of your H's sexual energy.

Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted,
you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes.
But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse.

And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.
N
N
Boy do I have a lot to say, and not very much time to say it. I have found much to agree with, and much to disagree with, reading this thread.

I just can't stop myself from saying that there is a huge difference between what goes on between a husband and wife, with fingers and other parts flying everywhere, and what goes on between a man and his magazine. Both may meet the dictionary definition of masturbation, but to me they are universes apart. (Not to imply that I think it's hunky dory that he only likes SF that way, and makes you do all your own work. That might be a fun distraction once in a while, but is not mutually fulfilling over the long run.)

April, I fully believe what Jesus said about lust in the heart, just as I believe Him when he equated anger with murder. They are just different parts of the same plant. In any of the translations I have read, Jesus never once said 'maybe', but only how God always views this.

I would just recommend that you begin with what Pep and Mel and some of the other posters have suggested, in first and foremost examining yourself.

Not because it is your fault what your H is doing - it's not - but because you can only control yourself and your own actions. If there turns out to be some things you need to change, then by all means change them, regardless of what happens with these other issues.

This is very painful, and rightfully so, but I would just caution you to deal with every part of it lovingly, kindly, and patiently, just as Jesus would. Take yourself out of the fight equation, no matter what the fighting is about.

I would recommend Plan A-type behavior at this point, while you read, learn, and correct any of your own faults. You definitely don't want to drive your H away at this point.

However, there is going to come a point where either he will change willingly, or you will have to make a tough decision as to whether you will allow him to continue to access you while he continues on as he is now.

That will not be manipulation. You are not trying to get him to change, or make him do anything. You will only decide what people and influences you will allow in your life, and under what circumstances. That is a boundary. Ultimately, you can only control you.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
A
OP Offline
A

april, how do you expect anyone here to give you advice based on a story with only partial facts? Of course we are giving you advice based on what we have heard, what else would we base it on? crazy You can't give us partial facts and then expect to get good advice; that is just unrealisic and a WASTE OF OUR TIME.

People here want to help, but that is impossible if you play games and don't give them the facts. And THEN criticize them for giving you bad advice. That is very unfair. Let me know when you want to give the complete FACTS, because otherwise this is a waste of time. sigh....

Uhmmmmmm touchy, aren't we? What I meant was, of course, I haven't told you about all 10 years of my marriage, and everything that's caused us problems in a few days on the forum.

I did come to talk about the most recent events, and discuss how to handle what's going on at this time, just as anybody else here, more will come out as I continue to post.

And you might want to consider, when people are going through tough times, they're doing the best they can. Have patience.

B
B
... happened to be at the Kinsey Institute Site (don't ask why) at http://www.kinseyinstitute.org/resources/FAQ.html#masturbation and saw this data:

#
Masturbation

# In a study of undergraduate college students, 98% of men and 44% of women reported having ever masturbated (Pinkerton, Bogart, Cecil, & Abramson, 2002).
# Among undergraduate students, men reported masturbating an average of 12 times per month, while women reported an average of 4.7 times per month (Pinkerton, Bogart, Cecil, & Abramson, 2002).
# In a study of African-American women aged 15 to 64, 62% reported that they had masturbated at some point during their lives (Robinson, Bockting, & Harrell, 2002).
# About 60% of men and 40% of women reported masturbating in the past year (Laumann, Gagnon, Michael, Michaels, 1994).
# Nearly 85% of men and 45% of women who were living with a sexual partner reported masturbating in the past year (Laumann, Gagnon, Michael, Michaels, 1994).
# 35% of American men aged 18-39 do not masturbate while 37% masturbate sometimes, and 28% one or more times per week (Laumann, Gagnon, Michael, Michaels, 1994).
# 53% of men and 25% of women masturbated for the first time by ages 11 to 13 (Janus & Janus, 1993).
# 5% of men and 11% of women have never masturbated (Janus & Janus, 1993).

Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted,
you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes.
But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse.

And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.
M
M
[quote=aprilshowers]

Uhmmmmmm touchy, aren't we? What I meant was, of course, I haven't told you about all 10 years of my marriage, and everything that's caused us problems in a few days on the forum.

No, I am not touchy at all. I am offended you would waste folk's valuable time asking for advice when you purposely withhold key information. You make it impossible for folks to give you sound advice and then criticize them for it. Unfortunately, we are not psychic.

I would be glad to give you advice once you ante up the pertinent FACTS. To give you advice when you openly claim: "there's so much that members here don't know yet, I haven't talked about yet" is to play a guessing game and is not fair to well meaning people who spent their time and effort posting to you.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B
Originally Posted by BladeRunner
Masturbation

# In a study of undergraduate college students, 98% of men and 44% of women reported having ever masturbated (Pinkerton, Bogart, Cecil, & Abramson, 2002).

The remaining 2% of men were of course liars.....

Last edited by bigkahuna; 05/02/08 08:36 PM. Reason: spelling doh!

Me: 56 (FBS) Wife: 55 (FWW)
D-Day August 2005
Married 11/1982 3 Sons 27,25,23
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
A
OP Offline
A
[quote=aprilshowers]

No, I am not touchy at all. I am offended you would waste folk's valuable time asking for advice when you purposely withhold key information. You make it impossible for folks to give you sound advice and then criticize them for it. Unfortunately, we are not psychic.

I would be glad to give you advice once you ante up the pertinent FACTS. To give you advice when you openly claim: "there's so much that members here don't know yet, I haven't talked about yet" is to play a guessing game and is not fair to well meaning people who spent their time and effort posting to you.

Just so you know, I am NOT withholding 'key' information for this particular situation and time. I am not making it impossible for folks to give sound advice, I have no idea why you think that.

Ante up the 'pertinent facts'? A 'guessing game'?

Do you treat all the new members like this?

If I'm not posting the way you'd like, you don't have to read my thread. I'm trying to do my best here, and for the problems at hand, I gave all the information I could think of to cover the bases.

M
M
I agree with Neak. If porn + masturbation = infidelity in your mind, then use the MB principles for busting up and surviving an affair. Have you read about Plan A and Plan B?

I really cannot understand why a man would masturbate because he was angry with his W.

Do or not Do, there is no try.
Me 41
DW 42
M 20 years
DD 18 (on her own)
DD13
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 194 guests, and 177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
peppa, RP4280, Philip Pitre, ClarencePeterson, ColsDawg
71,872 Registered Users
Latest Posts
Spying on Wife's phone without getting caught?
by ClarencePeterson - 09/22/24 08:59 PM
Depression
by ClarencePeterson - 09/22/24 11:19 AM
Separated/Dating
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 08:58 PM
Child activities
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 08:56 PM
Loss of libido/Sexual Attraction
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 06:10 AM
Involucrar o no a la familia por apoyo
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 06:09 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,607
Posts2,323,424
Members71,872
Most Online3,185
Jan 27th, 2020
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2024, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation