Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
P
P
Originally Posted by medc
For all the Christian mb'ers that identify with these harlots, I think it might be time to reconsider your path.

Bwhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa laugh

This is just so funny!

I'l like to identify with their clothing - that's about it!

Oh wait - possibly their hair styles - yeah - I'd like to identify with that!

WOMEN - send me your designer shoes or PERISH !

Pep (still laffing)

Last edited by Pepperband; 06/18/08 11:19 AM. Reason: Mimi - want to go out for sushi ? LOL
S
S
I do agree that a TV show or movie is not what made any of the WSs choose adultery (my H pretty much ONLY watches sports), that is just silly.

Still have not ever watched it and have no desire to watch it.

P
P
Mr Pep had a small role in Scarface (1983 - before some of you were born !) ... he has not snorted cocaine or killed anyone with a chain saw or semi automatic rifle - not yet anyway.

nevertheless - I plan on holding him personally responsible for the murder rate in America (the entire world - why the heck not?)

laugh grin

I am soooooooooooooooo enjoying this thread

Pep

Last edited by Pepperband; 06/18/08 11:30 AM. Reason: When taking a shower in mexico - keep your mouth shut!
P
OP Offline
P
I truly would be interested to hear WHY it is a relaxing escape to you.

Like I said, I was never a fan, just didn't watch it. The movie though WAS relaxing (but not an escape) because it made me laugh, it made me cry and it made me sad. It WAS enjoyable.

There are some scenes in it where you HAVE to be a woman to understand that were just hilarious. I could see me and my GFs sitting around saying the same things.

This was the FUN part.

Comparing this movie to watching a movie about child molesters is a bit much.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
M
M
Everybody's DIFFERENT, Keep it Real..

I might enjoy a drama about a disabled child who overcomes all odds to become a football star, because it gives me inspiration.

This would DEPRESS ME and I DEFINITEY WOULD NOT WATCH SUCH A SHOW...

It's hard to explain to a FORUM who you REALLY are...

I WATCHED Sex and the City because I ADMIRED their FRIENDSHIP and loved their interaction with EACH OTHER...and identified with their FEMININITY or whatever...

I personally didn't EXPERIENCE the show as glamourizing ADULTERY or PROMISCUITY..if I THOUGHT it did, I probably would not have ENJOYED it..I didn't particularly ENJOY those parts of the plot..I LOVED it when they CRIED together and evidenced their LOVE for EACH OTHER..through THICK and THIN...even though they were DIFFERENT, they seemed to ACCEPT each other...

I personally could not stomach "DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES" but I don't JUDGE those who WATCHED it...

I DON'T ASSOCIATE with REAL PEOPLE who are ADULTEROUS and PROMISCUOUS..

I don't think you can escape it FULLY in the MEDIA or IN LIFE...

My opinion....

I made it happen..a joyful life..filled with peace, contentment, happiness and fabulocity.
P
OP Offline
P
When taking a shower in mexico - keep your mouth shut!

OMG! I fogot about this. ROTFLMAO

“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
P
P
SUSHI ANYONE ?

Pep grin

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Pepperband
SUSHI ANYONE ?

Pep grin

I've always heard sushi at body temperature was best. grin

M
M
I haven't ever watched Sex and the City because I rarely watch TV [the prevailing world view is ODD and intellectually retarded] so I can't comment on it, but the shows that really bother me are movies like Bridges of Madison County. That is like watching a movie that glorifies RAPE.

It is absolutely REVOLTING to watch such a filthy, sleazy sordid saga romanticized. I was not amused when her children found her pig love letters after she died any more than I was amused to meet my father's mistress at his funeral. sick I was ashamed of my father and I would have been ashamed to find out my own mother behaved like a ho. There is nothing romantic or honorable about acting sleazy, IMO.

I do, however, think that guillible, silly people are influenced by the romanticization of adultery. We have had several OW come here and even tell us how much they love that movie.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

K
K
Originally Posted by princessmeggy
I truly would be interested to hear WHY it is a relaxing escape to you.

Like I said, I was never a fan, just didn't watch it. The movie though WAS relaxing (but not an escape) because it made me laugh, it made me cry and it made me sad. It WAS enjoyable.

There are some scenes in it where you HAVE to be a woman to understand that were just hilarious. I could see me and my GFs sitting around saying the same things.

This was the FUN part.

Comparing this movie to watching a movie about child molesters is a bit much.

PM, thanks for your perspective.
Yes I did preface that by saying it was "a step further". My whole point was that:
We would hate a move like that because of the disgusting characters and topics, so why wouldn't we hate a movie about promiscuous adulteresses as well?

M
M
Yep..HATE, HATE, HATE "Bridges of Madison County"..even HATED IT before I knew my H was having an affair...

What the HECK does that mean about me???

Like "Sex and the City" but not "Bridges"...

Maybe we should create a Personality Test...

I made it happen..a joyful life..filled with peace, contentment, happiness and fabulocity.
D
D
nevertheless - I plan on holding him personally responsible for the murder rate in America (the entire world - why the heck not?)

LMAO!!!

Charlotte

P
OP Offline
P
why wouldn't we hate a movie about promiscuous adulteresses as well?

In the movie, not one of the four main characters was promiscuous NOR committed adultery.

D
D
Originally Posted by mimi_here
Yep..HATE, HATE, HATE "Bridges of Madison County"..even HATED IT before I knew my H was having an affair...

What the HECK does that mean about me???

Like "Sex and the City" but not "Bridges"...

Maybe we should create a Personality Test...

I don't know, mimi. I like Clint Eastwood but I never watched that movie. Never even knew what it was about, still really don't!! LOL!! But I have some idea now.

P
OP Offline
P
Don't feel bad Mimi. Bridges pi$$ed me off too and I saw it before my husband went off the deep end.

J
J
keepitreal: I think that's what they call "going off the deep end" I will not "think, for a second..." about such a movie.

Hollywood's got this under control. See, they make a point of giving us many different kinds of movies - for many different types of audiences. Will there be murderers in the Indiana Jones audience? Possibly. OW in the Sex & The City audience? Possibly. Child molestors in Disney's next big hit? Scary thought. Thing is, there's no prerequisite so I am comfortable liking what I like.

I can quietly respect your taste in movies even though they don't match mine.

LIFE IS GOOD
M
M
Originally Posted by Mimi
some escape..some fantasy

I understand Mimi...Unfortunately that is also how many affairs start, so for ME, it is UNSAFE to use fantasy to escape anything in life...It did not serve me well in the past, so I now choose otherwise...Mr. W has taught me so much in this arena...Never has he wished to escape his real life - EVEN when things were BAD...ie. The affair...Even then he looked around him and said to himself, "This is MY life experience...Good or Bad, it is MINE...I will keep my eyes open and learn what I can from this." Wow, that just blows me away...I had never looked at life like that before...I do now...As a child I went through a lot of negative things due to my father's dual diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder and Alcoholism...I used fantasy to escape...Did A LOT of daydreaming...I continued that into my adult life...As I said, it did not serve me well...Now that I know better, I do better...

This verse hangs in the office of my Christian Counselor...I think it is very true...

Be Careful

Be careful of your thoughts, for your thought become your words.

Be careful of your words, for your words become your actions.

Be careful of your actions, for your actions become your habits.

Be careful of your habits, for your habits become your character.

Be careful of your character, for your character becomes your destiny.

Author unknown

I think we do have to "be careful"...

When I originally watched SATC, I wasn't "aware"-Sure, I knew that all the promiscuity wasn't really right, but I had become numb to it-I had a "live and let live", "everybody's doing it" attitude...Then through the horrific experience of adultery and later repentance, I became aware...Now, I can't turn that off, and I am glad...I believe it's very important to see things for HOW THEY ARE in real life, versus how they are in a FANTASY...

Do I believe that *I* was negatively impacted by seeing the SATC movie? No, I don't, because now I am aware...Sadly though, many people will see it without that awareness, and I believe that it does serve to make them numb to reality...to the impact of promiscuity, adultery, too much materialism, etc...I believe it helps to shape their worldview without them even being AWARE of it...

My mother's wise words come back to me constantly now...Ones that I HATED growing up-ones that I didn't truly understand until now..."Times may change, but morals never do"...That didn't mean anything to me for years...It does now...I get it now...I pray that we can impart it's meaning to our dd8 so that she won't have to become aware through tragedy...Sometimes we even use situations in t.v. shows/movies to teach her actually...Getting her to use critical thinking skills to follow the circumstances to their logical end...Showing her how that t.v./movies are FANTASY and why what they are teaching the general public is HARMFUL, unless you become aware...

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

S
S

In the movie, not one of the four main characters was promiscuous NOR committed adultery.

Really? Like i said i have never watched the TV show but just the title makes me think that is all it would be.

Were they in the TV show?

S
S
I only remember Samantha being promiscuious on the show . The other three were dating and having sex, yes, but not throwing it around all the time. I know a lot of women who are 'dating' and they tend to have sex sooner than later in their relationships. I can't say I agree with them, but it seems to be the way of much of the dating crowd.

Me-BS-38
Married 1997; son, 8yo
Divorced April 2009
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Still_Crazy

Really? Like i said i have never watched the TV show but just the title makes me think that is all it would be.

Were they in the TV show?

Yes, really. I don't know about the TV show though, I never really watched it, but I've heard things.

Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (Douglasbubbletro), 211 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
peppa, RP4280, Philip Pitre, ClarencePeterson, ColsDawg
71,872 Registered Users
Latest Posts
Children
by Douglasbubbletro - 09/28/24 06:04 PM
Spying on Wife's phone without getting caught?
by ClarencePeterson - 09/22/24 08:59 PM
Depression
by ClarencePeterson - 09/22/24 11:19 AM
Separated/Dating
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 08:58 PM
Child activities
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 08:56 PM
Loss of libido/Sexual Attraction
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 06:10 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,608
Posts2,323,425
Members71,872
Most Online3,185
Jan 27th, 2020
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2024, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation