Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I
I
Originally Posted by FL_Blindsided
Introvert, thanks for the backup...

Now I recall a 'lil of why I stopped hanging out on this site... I know there are a lot of very raw emotions when dealing with this, but attacking me when I'm asking for help isn't very helpful, now is it??

As far as dating goes - my 2 cents - Don't do it when you're married, interested in getting married, or attempting to stay married... but once you've decided that life has to move on, get to it. If you've decided to get on with life, it is probably the most effective way to get on with it... (but definitely not the easiest...)

And attacking my now ex-girlfriend? She happens to be a very incredible person, one that I will regret not having in my life should I attempt reconciliation with my wife, but I know that keeping any form of contact with her will be a no-no. She's no snot-rag, or anyones doormat. We both started dating with our eyes open, and she's handled this far better, and with more maturity and logic than I dare say anyone here ever could, esp based on some of the posts.

I know this goes against MB principles, but one person cannot save a marriage... but they can certainly prolong it, dragging it out ad infinitum, at tremendous emotional, physical and financial expense. But when you reach the point of being sick and tired of being sick and tired, you have to take responsiblity for your own happiness.

I would love nothing more than for the Haitian guy from the TV show 'Heroes' to sweep in, suck all memories of the past 2 years from both mine and my spouse's minds, and allow us to start working on our marriage from that point. But thats just not possible.

Anyone out there that has actually gotten through this? Anyone out there that is with their spouse post-affair that is happier, more satisfied, more content with life than before? Or is it going to be a continual look over the shoulder, examining cell records, emails etc for the rest of my days?? Thats what I want to know, is it possible to get over and beyond this to better times??

So can we stop attacking, and start supporting and advising?

These 2 things are enough, in my book, to be able to start dating when divorce seems to be inevitable.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth"

Henry David Thoreau
T
T
Settle down Introvert. You are not alone in your beliefs but others are also correct. I am in the D process and dating AND also preaching MB principles everywhere I go - bizarre, huh? I do not consider myself married and only use "stbx" to remain consistent with others on this site. When I refer to him to people here, I call him my XH. I have no intention of letting him come back. I'm sure FLB felt that way when he began dating his GF. And I don't believe FLB (or myself) are having affairs and that the GF is an OW. The relationship began when FLB was done with his M AND it occured in the open, not in secret. It was/is probably a rebound relationship, but not an affair. He wasn't cheating because there was not marriage to cheat on.

But here's where others are correct. He's facing a new dilemma in that his WW may actually be seeing through the fog finally. Perhaps 6 months ago he couldn't imagine letting her come back, but now he's seeing signs of the woman he first fell in love with and married, long before the fog. But since he has started to date, he's a step further away from the ideal. It could be an insurmountable step. I doubt it since WW knows about GF already. But it is an additional step.

I think the fact that FLB is having confusion over this means that he still has too many strong feelings about his WW to be moving on to a new GF. But strong feelings are not enough alone to recover his M. I believe what he is asking is just how much effort, time, stress etc., is required so he can decide if he really wants her back that much.

I
iam Offline
I
Can we stop with the TJ's.

That seems to be a common theme lately.

FLB, yes it is possible to get over those things. If you both want the marriage to work. It will require a lot of work by both of you but the potential is awesome.

If you can find it in your heart to give it a go and your wife accepts full responsibility for her affair and is TRULY remorseful you can heal.

You have some great motivation for that in your children but make sure you do it for you.

I
I
Originally Posted by Tabby1
Settle down Introvert. You are not alone in your beliefs but others are also correct. I am in the D process and dating AND also preaching MB principles everywhere I go - bizarre, huh? I do not consider myself married and only use "stbx" to remain consistent with others on this site. When I refer to him to people here, I call him my XH. I have no intention of letting him come back. I'm sure FLB felt that way when he began dating his GF. And I don't believe FLB (or myself) are having affairs and that the GF is an OW. The relationship began when FLB was done with his M AND it occured in the open, not in secret. It was/is probably a rebound relationship, but not an affair. He wasn't cheating because there was not marriage to cheat on.

But here's where others are correct. He's facing a new dilemma in that his WW may actually be seeing through the fog finally. Perhaps 6 months ago he couldn't imagine letting her come back, but now he's seeing signs of the woman he first fell in love with and married, long before the fog. But since he has started to date, he's a step further away from the ideal. It could be an insurmountable step. I doubt it since WW knows about GF already. But it is an additional step.

I think the fact that FLB is having confusion over this means that he still has too many strong feelings about his WW to be moving on to a new GF. But strong feelings are not enough alone to recover his M. I believe what he is asking is just how much effort, time, stress etc., is required so he can decide if he really wants her back that much.

Hey, I'm settled....I just think that there is way too much personal attacking aroung here before getting the whole story...(heck, look at my first post in this thread...I'm guilt too, but at least I apologized).

I agree completely with your post. The problem I see with the MB principles on this issue, is that how long exactly are you supposed to wait? Just because a D isn't final (like your example) doesn't mean people aren't ready to date...and vice versa. What if you get a divorce in 6 months...and, you love WS just as much after the D as you did before it?...then what difference did the final D make?....none.

It's easy to use hindsight and say "see, he wasn't ready yet", but if we could use hindsight to live our lives, we'd all be perfect, and always make the perfect decisions.

I commend him for trying to pursue happiness. Maybe he was ready, maybe not...but at least he tried.

I hope you are ready as well Tabby, and I commend you.

edit:

No more T/Jing

Last edited by introvert; 07/11/08 02:05 PM.

Henry David Thoreau
J
J
I wasn't attacking him. I was advising him to dump the GF and have NC with her. Then, once he's had NC w/ the GF, he can decide if he truly wants to try things w/ his WW again. Having the GF in the his life just complicates things more than they need to be.

FLB, I was here one year ago trying to help you. I'm trying to help you now. I'm not trying to attack you. However, you haven't moved on because you are still married and you are considering working on your marriage again. Drop the GF from your life completely. Go get some individual counseling or counsel with the Harleys and think things through

Also, the whole dating while your married still is not healthy for you, and it sends the wrong message to the kids. They need at least one parent to be stable and show them the way to live their lives.

Jim

BS - 32 (me)
FWW - 33
Married 8/31/03
No kids (but 3 cats)
D-Days - 8/25/06 (EA), 11/3/06 (PA)
NC agreed to - 11/8/06
NC broken - 11/28/06, 12/16/06, 1/18/07, 1/26/07, 1/27/07
Status - In Recovery
Jim's Story
I
I
Originally Posted by jmwc95
I wasn't attacking him. I was advising him to dump the GF and have NC with her. Then, once he's had NC w/ the GF, he can decide if he truly wants to try things w/ his WW again. Having the GF in the his life just complicates things more than they need to be.

FLB, I was here one year ago trying to help you. I'm trying to help you now. I'm not trying to attack you. However, you haven't moved on because you are still married and you are considering working on your marriage again. Drop the GF from your life completely. Go get some individual counseling or counsel with the Harleys and think things through

Also, the whole dating while your married still is not healthy for you, and it sends the wrong message to the kids. They need at least one parent to be stable and show them the way to live their lives.

Agreed 100%. If you want to try to work things out with WW, FLB, then you know that NC with XGF is the first step...if your WW shows up here, that's exactly what advice we would all be giving her as well. Works both ways.

Henry David Thoreau
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 777 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation