Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
M
M
INDEPENDENT behavior is a LOVEBUSTER. I do not go to bars because my H doesn't like it, and because they are a BREEDING GROUND for adultery. I would not put myself in that position because I want to protect my marriage.

Temptation is greatly increased in bars because most of the folks don't have their spouses with them and are drinking, so their inhibitions are dropped. That is a recipe for disaster.

Hanging out in bars without your spouse is a BAD BOUNDARY that makes the marriage vulnerable to an affair. Even with coworkers. [perhaps more vulnerable with coworkers] I trust my H, but I rightly would not if he hung out in bars.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

I
I
Originally Posted by dkd
Originally Posted by medc
My wife is a teacher,

teachers are NOTORIOUS for affairs with other teachers.

cops, nurses and doctors too.

So that should outweigh whatever trust and character you have with your spouse. I agree that spouses shouldn't do anything one on one with someone of the opposite sex, but I think this is taking things too far in many cases. Just because my wife is having happy hour with a group of other foreign language teachers, which is likely all female, I don't think I should limit her when she has done nothing wrong in the past.

Then let her go. what's the debate about? You've already made up your mind.

You're in an infidelity forum, talking about how much independent behavior your spouse should be able to have. Obviously the answers here will err on the side of caution.

Ask the same question in a forum for current WS's, cheaters, and adulterers and you'll get the answer of "people should be able to make their own decisions, have a right for privacy, go out to the bar all the time, have as many friends of both sexes, etc...."

Chances are that the perfect scenario for how much independent behavior is healthy...you won't find in this forum, or the other type that I just mentioned....but somewhere in between.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth"

Henry David Thoreau
W
W
Originally Posted by gabagool
So if youre wife called and said that she was going out with co workers for, I don't know, someone was leaving their job, and she DOESN'T MAKE A HABIT OF THIS, and she has NEVER given you ANY reason to think she had been unfaithful, you would tell her, no she couldn't?

This is EXACTLY how my WxH conducted his affair. I was usually invited to these "going away" functions. Until I wasn't. And neither was the OW's H.

It was going to be a quick beer, just a drop by so he can say he was there, then he'll be right home.

"Oh, sorry, honey, I just got caught up in chatting with xx (male). " "There weren't very many people there so I had to stay, it would have been too noticable if I left and I didnt' want them to feel bad." puke

Amazing what you will believe because you've never had reason to question before.

It'll snow on the equator before someone I'm in a relationship with leaves me alone for this type of thing again.

It's about not creating an opportunity for an A to begin/develop.

Fox

I
I
Originally Posted by kilted_thrower
Originally Posted by introvert
Ahhhh, but EVERYONE is capable...that's what too much independent behavior creates...cheaters.

It's a narrow path.

Cheaters create cheaters. Just because a spouse goes out with friends on occasion does not a cheater make. A person is going to cheat if they're going to cheat, not because they are given a bit of space and not glued at the hip to the other spouse.

Being in a bar (having EN's met by "friends") instead of being glued to your spouses hip is what causes cheating.

Have you read anything on this site?

Henry David Thoreau
M
M
Originally Posted by kilted_thrower
Ahhhh, but EVERYONE is capable...that's what too much independent behavior creates...cheaters.

It's a narrow path.

Cheaters create cheaters. Just because a spouse goes out with friends on occasion does not a cheater make. A person is going to cheat if they're going to cheat, not because they are given a bit of space and not glued at the hip to the other spouse.

Affairs happen because of this kind of attitude. People who believe they are immune to affairs are always the ones WHO HAVE AFFAIRS because they don't have proper boundaries in place. They are vulnerable to affairs. If a spouse needs "space" from the other, that spells trouble in the marriage.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

D
dkd Offline
D
Would it make a difference if the same group of people meet in a home instead. What if they meet at a bar, but didn't drink alcohol? What exactly is the catalyst for the concern?

Me 38
Divorced 8/09
DS 10,6
DD 4
I
I
Originally Posted by dkd
Would it make a difference if the same group of people meet in a home instead. What if they meet at a bar, but didn't drink alcohol? What exactly is the catalyst for the concern?

The bar...the alcohol...the "independent behavior".

You're still missing the point.

Henry David Thoreau
D
dkd Offline
D
You're in an infidelity forum, talking about how much independent behavior your spouse should be able to have. Obviously the answers here will err on the side of caution.

Because the question was asked, and I thought a dissenting opinion was worth mentioning.

Me 38
Divorced 8/09
DS 10,6
DD 4
D
dkd Offline
D
Originally Posted by dkd

Yes I have, and I understand that independent behavior is a love buster. But going to work could be considered an independent bahavior too. Can a spouse do anything socially without the other spouse being present? How far does this go?

Last edited by dkd; 08/26/08 02:08 PM.

Me 38
Divorced 8/09
DS 10,6
DD 4
M
medc Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Dkd...have you been touched by infidelity that you know of? I know you and your wife are apart and I think you are living with your mom which I assume means you are relatively young.

With experience comes learning in some cases...infidelity being tops on the list in my opinion. I do appreciate the opinion...even a dissenting one. I do hope though that you can get a bit of wisdom from some of the posters here that have been down a rough road.

I
I
Originally Posted by dkd
Originally Posted by dkd

Yes I have, and I understand that independent behavior is a love buster. But going to work could be considered an independent bahavior too. Can a spouse do anything socially without the other spouse being present?

Why are you asking? Do you want to know what I would say to my W if she asked if she could go to the bar?...or, do you want to know what YOU should say?...because I can't answer for you.

Henry David Thoreau
A
A
I used to go to clubs without my DH.

I saw what it did to an old friend. I do not want that upon me. So I will only go with DH to a club, bar, pool hall. And vice versa. He has been asked to go out by male friends and he wont go unless I am going to be there or meet up with them after I get off of work. Which usually ends with a no we arent going unless your there from the start. He expects the same from me.

Married 1996
4 wonderful children 16, 13 *OC*, 10, 7
FWW 30's
FWH 30's
My dday 1-2007 he came clean to me

My story
New beginings
M
M
Originally Posted by dkd

Because the question was asked, and I thought a dissenting opinion was worth mentioning.

dkd, have you read any of the HArley material? Its not a dissenting opinion that you present, but more a matter of not understanding what constitutes a healthy marriage. Going to work couldn't possible be a lovebuster, that makes no sense. Work is a healthy actitivity that makes a positive contribution to the marriage. Hanging out in bars and fostering social relationships outside of the marriage does not.

Exposure 101

K
K
Being in a bar (having EN's met by "friends") instead of being glued to your spouses hip is what causes cheating.

Of course I've been reading through this site. The primary reason for being here is to better my marriage. The question posted in the thread was "do you think it's okay for a spouse to go to a bar without you?"

I responded with a yes. There are a couple of times that my spouse and I have gone out with friends without each other. Do we invite each other along? Yes.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

I
iam Offline
I
Not something that happens too often but here's how I feel.

Yes, I can go.

No, she can't without me.

M
M
Originally Posted by dkd
Can a spouse do anything socially without the other spouse being present?

My spouse can do anything he wants. HE is a big boy and I am not his momma. He is not my poppadaddy. However, I DO NOT CHOOSE to do things that will harm my marriage because it is too valuable to me. Neither does he. I don't hang out in bars, I don't have social relationships outside of my marriage.

Our friends are OUR friends together. We do things together or we don't do them at all. I don't enjoy anyone's company as much as I enjoy HIS. I have numerous girlfriends who are married and we do stuff as a foursome.

Exposure 101

D
dkd Offline
D
Originally Posted by medc
Dkd...have you been touched by infidelity that you know of? I know you and your wife are apart and I think you are living with your mom which I assume means you are relatively young.

With experience comes learning in some cases...infidelity being tops on the list in my opinion. I do appreciate the opinion...even a dissenting one. I do hope though that you can get a bit of wisdom from some of the posters here that have been down a rough road.

I am 36, and I am at my mother's because of free rent. When my wife and I were married, I made the rule that neither one of us one ever be alone with someone of the opposite sex. My wife saw it as distrust, and never agreed with it. I broke that rule twice basically out of neccesity for work, and it upset my wife because it was my rule. My wife never did, unless you count her brother.

This tended to create more of an atmosphere of distrust then anything else. If my wife and I can manage to pull things together, I hope to develop a level of trust where we can be ok with our spouses going out with friends, but respect when the other spouse isn't comfortable. I hope to have a better level of honesty then before and be more involved with each other's lives.

I have learned alot from posters on here for sure. Infidelity isn't our problem, but the solution is pretty much the same as far as meeting needs and dropping LBs. And I feel like I've made progress. I am aware of how infidelity happens.

Me 38
Divorced 8/09
DS 10,6
DD 4
A
A
Originally Posted by iam
Not something that happens too often but here's how I feel.

Yes, I can go.

No, she can't without me.

Yes you can go without her? If so why without her and she cant without you?

Married 1996
4 wonderful children 16, 13 *OC*, 10, 7
FWW 30's
FWH 30's
My dday 1-2007 he came clean to me

My story
New beginings
K
K
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

Affairs happen because of this kind of attitude. People who believe they are immune to affairs are always the ones WHO HAVE AFFAIRS because they don't have proper boundaries in place. They are vulnerable to affairs. If a spouse needs "space" from the other, that spells trouble in the marriage. [/quote]

I never implied that any marriage was affair proof. And aren't dictated boundaries different for different marriages? And I'm not sure if there was an implied that the other spouse needed "space" from the other spouse in this thread.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

I
iam Offline
I
Because I've never done anything to lose that right.

I've been to plenty of bars throughout my marriage. Dart leagues, pool tournaments etc...I don't even speak with other women.

Why should that be taken from me because of her behavior?

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (Douglasbubbletro), 193 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
peppa, RP4280, Philip Pitre, ClarencePeterson, ColsDawg
71,872 Registered Users
Latest Posts
Children
by Douglasbubbletro - 09/28/24 06:04 PM
Spying on Wife's phone without getting caught?
by ClarencePeterson - 09/22/24 08:59 PM
Depression
by ClarencePeterson - 09/22/24 11:19 AM
Separated/Dating
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 08:58 PM
Child activities
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 08:56 PM
Loss of libido/Sexual Attraction
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 06:10 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,607
Posts2,323,424
Members71,872
Most Online3,185
Jan 27th, 2020
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2024, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation