Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
M
M
Mr. W and I now BOTH have good boundaries...There are not one set for him and another set for me...That wouldn't be an equitable marriage...We BOTH want an equitable marriage...Our recreational companionship happens TOGETHER, and we wouldn't want it any other way...We don't do social things without each other...Why would we? Activities wouldn't be nearly as much fun without each other...

There are a few exceptions...like him golfing with his dad or me shopping with my mom or his mom...He does "daddy/daughter dates" with our dd8 and she and I do some "mother/daughter" stuff as well...Oh yeah, and I do do a women's Bible study...and sometimes he plays tennis with a male friend of his...I suck at tennis! grin

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

M
M
Originally Posted by dkd
My wife has not shown that she can't be trusted when it comes to this area. If she had ever lied about where she has been, then yes, the boundary would change. If she said she was going to happy hour and didn't, or had an inappropriate conversation with a guy, then HH is done.

Why would you place your marriage in that shaky situation in the first place? That makes no sense. Would you allow your 10 year old play chicken? Why would you play chicken with your marriage? You should not trust your spouse IF she has poor boundaries. It is blind trust like this, and a lack of boundaries that CAUSES AFFAIRS.

Here is what Dr Harley says about it:

When a couple spend their leisure-time away from each other, it is not only a breeding ground for an affair, but it can also be another clue to an affair. That's especially true when a spouse doesn't want the other to be present at their favorite activity. I counseled a man who went fishing every summer for a week with his friends, wives not invited. But they did invite a secretary from work who cooked their meals (and had sex with them all) during the trip.

<snip>

Look what happened to poor Kathy Lee Gifford. She stated publicly and wrote in one of her books that she trusted her husband completely, that he would never cheat on her. But she should not have trusted her husband. If she would have taken the steps she is now taking to help him avoid another affair, the first would never have taken place, and she would have avoided all its pain and embarrassment. I don't trust my wife completely and she doesn't trust me, and that's why neither of us have ever had an affair. Lack of trust does not make spouses paranoid and miserable, it makes their marriages safe.

Entire article: Coping with Infidelity: Part 2
How Should Affairs End?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by iam
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Originally Posted by iam
The people who are usually the most vulnerable to affairs are the who think they are immune to it because they observe sloppy boundaries. Those are the ones who usually have affairs.

I think it's entirely possible to be the other way around.

I will never have an affair because I have good boundries. But that's probably a discussion for another thread.

ummm, you just agreed with me. So what is the "other way around?" crazy

My point is they don't think they are immune BECAUSE of their sloppy boundries.

I am sorry, but I am not following you.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by dkd
Ok, so most of you believe there is an absolute truth to where boundaries should be for every couple. Can someone point me to this master list of boundary lines when it comes to activies spouses can do without their spouse present?

A grown adult can observe any boundary he chooses. There is no LAW that mandates boundaries.

Exposure 101

D
dkd Offline
D
Its not healthy to get your needs met OUTSIDE of marriage. That is how affairs start and is how people fall out of love. A healthy married couple will develop a social life as MARRIED people, not single people. You are supposed to be dependent on your wife for your emotional needs; you shouldn't have to go outside of your marriage for that. THAT is not healthy.

But you said that you have girlfriends that you hang out without your husband.

And I agree completely that you should not go outside of your marraige to get your needs meet, not with someone of the opposite sex. I said before that only acquantances IMO. I don't think going to HH means that you're looking to someone outside of your marriage to meet your needs. The same way going to the movies with your girlfriends doesn't violate that.

The issue at hand really is whether or not a bar is too tempting for a spouse. This was only brought up because someone said that a bar was completely useless, no purpose.

Me 38
Divorced 8/09
DS 10,6
DD 4
I
I
Originally Posted by dkd
Its not healthy to get your needs met OUTSIDE of marriage. That is how affairs start and is how people fall out of love. A healthy married couple will develop a social life as MARRIED people, not single people. You are supposed to be dependent on your wife for your emotional needs; you shouldn't have to go outside of your marriage for that. THAT is not healthy.

And I agree completely that you should not go outside of your marraige to get your needs meet, not with someone of the opposite sex. I said before that only acquantances IMO. I don't think going to HH means that you're looking to someone outside of your marriage to meet your needs. The same way going to the movies with your girlfriends doesn't violate that.

The issue at hand really is whether or not a bar is too tempting for a spouse. This was only brought up because someone said that a bar was completely useless, no purpose.

dkd,

Is there a certain reason for you to keep going on this subject? You say that you tried to tighten up on boundaries with your W, but then you broke your own rules? Now you are seperated? Could you be pressing the issue on this subject to try to justify you breaking your own boundary rules? Or is there another motive for you here?

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth"

Henry David Thoreau
M
M
Originally Posted by dkd
[edit: I completely understand what everyone is saying and don't find any problem with your views on the subject. It makes perfect sense and works for you. Nor do I think that I don't have the right to say what I may be uncomfortable with. There are differing degrees of risk with everything your spouse does when she/he is not around you, and a bar is higher then most. You are never going to eliminate all risk of an affair, and you should avoid high risk situations whenever possible. Heck when you get married, you're at risk of an affair.

dkd, do you differentiate between the 2 "risky" scenarios?

1. a social situation with couples that is attended by the married couple together

2. going to the bar to have a drink with your opposite sex coworker

Which do you think is more likely to lead to an affair? Which one should be avoided?

See, it is avoiding risky situations that ...............reduces risk. Folks that think they are immune to adultery are the ones who affairs, BECAUSE they have poor or no boundaries.

Exposure 101

A
A
boundaries should be something that is along the lines of communication what you would want your partner to think about before doing. Questioning the moral character, and actions one does.

Lets use this question. Going to bar/club/etc. You should be doing social things with each other.
Going food shopping can be wtih each other or alone. Getting my nails done, hey if he wants to tag along and watch them so be it.

Family gathers, friends parties, bbq's *anythign social* the other should go along. I understand there are times where one might not want to join the other but then the one wanting to go should question themselves do they really have to go? Are they going to be missed if they dont go? Maybe find other avenues to do something that night with your spouse.

Example. My friend was going to have a passion party. One sales adult nature items. And well that night we found out there was going to be a stripper there as well. If the stripper wasnt going to be there then I would have gone. But there was a male being involved at a part that was geared towards females only. That is a boundary. If I had gone I would have stepped on a boundary that my husband expressed for me not to go to. Instead I think we went out to dinner that night and chilled as a family.

Married 1996
4 wonderful children 16, 13 *OC*, 10, 7
FWW 30's
FWH 30's
My dday 1-2007 he came clean to me

My story
New beginings
G
G
I don't trust my wife completely and she doesn't trust me, and that's why neither of us have ever had an affair. Lack of trust does not make spouses paranoid and miserable, it makes their marriages safe.

I'm sorry, but I can't buy that. I understand trust can be broken. But, to ME, I gotta TRUST my wife, or the person I will marry. If I think, FOR ONE MINUTE, that my future wife cannot be trusted, uhhh....she doesn't become my PRESENT wife.

Again, if it works for your marriage, thats fine. You have two people with the same outlook on trust in a marriage. But, for me, no trust, no marriage.

And yes, in SOME marriages, lack of trust makes spouses paranoid and miserable....I know this FOR A FACT.

Last edited by gabagool; 08/26/08 04:57 PM.
M
M
Originally Posted by dkd

huh? WHERE?

dkd, what kind of shape is your own marriage in?

Exposure 101

G
G
I'm also seeing that "going to a bar" means ENTIRELY different things to different people. Going for a drink, one on one, with a person of the opposite sex, is very, very risky, thats without question.

M
M
Originally Posted by gabagool
I don't trust my wife completely and she doesn't trust me, and that's why neither of us have ever had an affair. Lack of trust does not make spouses paranoid and miserable, it makes their marriages safe.

I'm sorry, but I can't buy that. I understand trust can be broken. But, to ME, I gotta TRUST my wife, or the person I will marry. If I thing, FOR ONE MINUTE, that my future wife cannot be trusted, uhhh....she doesn't become my PRESENT wife.

Again, if it works for your marriage, thats fine. You have two people with the same outlook on trust in a marriage. But, for me, no trust, no marriage.

And yes, in SOME marriages, lack of trust makes spouses paranoid and miserable....I know this FOR A FACT.

BLIND TRUST leads to affairs. It is not lack of TRUST that destroys marriages, but LACK OF BOUNDARIES. Think about that for a minute.

Exposure 101

M
M

A spouse has lack of trust and paranoia as a RESULT of poor boundaries. Spouses do not feel paranoid unless there is usually a good reason.

Exposure 101

G
G
And I'm talking about trusting your spouses choices in bounderies.

My wife, going out with girlfriends from highschool for dinner and drinks, WITHOUT ME OR OTHER HUSBANDS, is WAAAAAY DIFFERENT, to me now, then her going solo, with a guy, to a dark bar to pound some down.

I think its GREAT that you and your husband do everything together. My wife doesn stuff on her own, shes ALWAYS (3O YEARS) has. But stuff on her own means once a month or two. Male "friends" have NEVER been a part of her life. Acquaintences, associates, but not going our after work stuff. Never. So its easy for me to trust.
Our marital problems start with ME, not her.

Again, all you guys that disagree with my thinking here, I understand what your saying, our life experiences cause us to look at things differently.

M
M
How's your marriage, gabapool?

Exposure 101

D
dkd Offline
D
Originally Posted by introvert
dkd,

Is there a certain reason for you to keep going on this subject? You say that you tried to tighten up on boundaries with your W, but then you broke your own rules? Now you are seperated? Could you be pressing the issue on this subject to try to justify you breaking your own boundary rules? Or is there another motive for you here?

Absolutely not. I stay at this because I like to argue. The two times I broke the rule is when I went at lunch to help setup a router at a coworkers house. That was stupid of me, but nothing happened and made sure my wife knew everything even though I figured she'd be upset. The other time was while traveling and having a breakfast at a hotel, a female coworker sat down where I was sitting and I didn't make her leave or get up myself.

Something separate that I am uncomfortable with is contact with someone of the oppisite sex through the interent or texting or something. That should not be allowed. I have had issues with that boundary in the past and won't make that mistake again. It is not innocent.

Me 38
Divorced 8/09
DS 10,6
DD 4
G
G

A spouse has lack of trust and paranoia as a RESULT of poor boundaries. Spouses do not feel paranoid unless there is usually a good reason.

I have a friend who DOES NOTHING without his wife, but one time a year, he goes to the superbowl party with his friends. He maybe goes out 2-3 times a year. She's jealous of EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING. If she isn't plastered to his side, she pouts and makes his life miserable, and THIS GUY IS A SAINT. He loves her dearly, but she ALMOST drove his butt away. He's just an unbelievable good guy, she is.......well, hard to live with, lets put it that way.

I
iam Offline
I
I don't think a person thinks they are immune BECAUSE of their bad boundries. They think they are immune because of what they perceive are their good morals.

At the end of the day it's their morals that fail them.

I think I'm immune because of my morals, regardless of my boundries.

Maybe the two coincide in some ways as MEDC implied with his jetski analogy?

D
dkd Offline
D
dkd, do you differentiate between the 2 "risky" scenarios?

1. a social situation with couples that is attended by the married couple together

2. going to the bar to have a drink with your opposite sex coworker

Which do you think is more likely to lead to an affair? Which one should be avoided?

I never ever said that situation 2 was acceptable. It isn't. The situation I was refering to was same sex or mixed group. Even if mixed, the ratio needs to be more same sex then opposite IMO.

What I heard was that a bar was a bad place to be unless your spouse was present under any circumstances. I disagree with that in all cases.

Me 38
Divorced 8/09
DS 10,6
DD 4
G
G
Melody

I've let my feelings be known on this thread. I am sure about what I say, about MYSELF.

My marriage, is in shambles. I've been looking for evidence of an affair for over a year now, but I have found none. I've used EVERYTHING but a recorder. Keylogger, cell phone records, PI, everything. My marriage, and in turn, my life have disintegrated because of ME, not her.

Last edited by gabagool; 08/26/08 05:13 PM.
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 126 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
peppa, RP4280, Philip Pitre, ClarencePeterson, ColsDawg
71,872 Registered Users
Latest Posts
Children
by BrainHurts - 09/28/24 06:19 PM
Spying on Wife's phone without getting caught?
by ClarencePeterson - 09/22/24 08:59 PM
Depression
by ClarencePeterson - 09/22/24 11:19 AM
Separated/Dating
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 08:58 PM
Child activities
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 08:56 PM
Loss of libido/Sexual Attraction
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 06:10 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,608
Posts2,323,426
Members71,872
Most Online3,185
Jan 27th, 2020
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2024, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation