Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
B
B
I'm not sure why this has gone on for so many pages. The original question is quite simple.

Do you and/or your spouse trust yourselves and/or each other to uphold your marital boundaries while in a social drinking establishment of any kind (w/o your spouse) where there are likely to be members of the opposite sex and you and/or other patrons are likely to be under the influence of alcohol and your judgement is likely to be impaired?

Check Yes___ or No___

:RollieEyes:

For me, it's not about bars. It's about boundaries. A bar, tavern, whatever, is a social setting mixed with alcohol. When we enter a bar, we immediately have something in common with every stranger in the joint. Because it is a social setting, patrons tend to uhhh....ummm, errrr...what's the word??? Oh yeah. SOCIALIZE.

It's definitely a dangerous arena for a married person to enter into. There's a lot of dangerous arenas for a married person to enter into.

Would I prohibit it of my spouse? That's not my place to do so. I don't enforce someone elses boundaries. I take that back...I enforce my DD's boundaries.

IMO, I think this would fall under POJA. Joint agreement by both spouses would be required.

jmo

ba109
I
iam Offline
I
Originally Posted by Tabby1
Originally Posted by introvert
Originally Posted by iam
Excellent post Tabby!

So your FWW can go to a Sports Bar?

My "F"WS is a stbx - so the "F" refers to spouse status rather than "W" status, so yes he can go to an exotic strip club for all I care.

I believe I mentioned that things would be a lot different for a (F)WS than in marriage not affected by adultery.

As to the poster who said they can go to bars as a BS but their WS cannot, I don't see a problem with this - especially if the A was associated with bars of any kind. Sorry, but this is just one of the consequences of infidelity. This could even apply to the coworkers-last-day-send-off scenario where nobody's spouses show up or would ever want to (probably the least threating of all the bar situations).

And for those WS's who managed to have A's in the types of bars I considered to be nonthreatening, shame on you. You would probably have an A at the grocery store. Honestly, I see very little difference in my experience. It's your personal boundaries that are wrong here. It's not the bar's fault.

The day my FWW asks to go to a bar w/o me she will find herself curbside!

C
C
kilted_thrower, I think you can't forbid your spouse to do anything. You can tell them how you feel about it. You can ask them to respect your wishes. It's their choice how to respond.

That said, I'd have to say it depends on the couple. I go to the gym all the time by myself. H takes clients drinking a lot. Neither of us is particularly worried about an affair for various reasons, so it's not an issue.

Some here may disagree, but I think both spouses should have outside activities. Sure, if your M is in trouble, focus on each other. But I firmly believe that wrapping yourselves around each other and losing your friends, avoiding having outside hobbies et al. just leads to boredom, resentment, feelings of missed opportunities, and a growing rut.

Each of you needs to have a fulfilled life. The M and kids should be the bulk of that, but think back to who you were before you got married. You had likes, dislikes, interests, hobbies, friends...a life. If you throw that all away for your insular family, you are no longer who you were when you got married. And didn't you marry that person because of who they are?

M
M
Originally Posted by catperson
The M and kids should be the bulk of that, but think back to who you were before you got married. You had likes, dislikes, interests, hobbies, friends...a life. If you throw that all away for your insular family, you are no longer who you were when you got married. And didn't you marry that person because of who they are?

catperson, who I was before I got married was a SINGLE PERSON. Now I am a MARRIED PERSON. So, of course I am not the same person. Even so, I am not defined by my hobbies. If a hobby is not conducive to my marriage, then it needs to be tossed if my marriage is a priority. Married people still have a "life," they just have a BETTER LIFE because they find things to do TOGETHER.

Now, keep in mind these principles are for the objective of staying in LOVE. We are all adults here and obviously can choose how we live. Dr. Harley knows how to keep the romantic love in marriage, and this is how it is done. But, folks are free to take it or leave it. I know from personal experience that it WORKS, because my H and I have a very romantic relationship. [we didn't when we got here]

The key is to spend 15 hours each week meeting the others needs, making your spouse your GREATEST SOURCE OF HAPPINESS and always ensuring that your FAVORITE recreational activity is something that is done TOGETHER:

The Policy of Undivided Attention:
Give your spouse your undivided attention a minimum of fifteen hours each week, using the time to meet his or her most important emotional needs. This policy will help you avoid one of the most common mistakes -- neglecting each other after marriage.

and to find MUTUAL recreational activities:

Dr. Harley: But you may have made the mistake of doing whatever the one with the greatest need for recreational companionship wanted to do. That's what happened to my wife, Joyce, and me. She was willing to join me in all of the recreational activities I liked most -- right up to the day we were married. But after marriage, she announced that she would only be joining me in activities that she also enjoyed. And it turned out that she shared very few of my recreational interests.

Most couples whose marriages begin the way mine did make a crucial mistake -- they go their separate ways. He joins his friends in recreational activities he enjoys most and leaves his wife to find her own recreational companions for activities that interest her. That's a formula for marital disaster.. If someone else of the opposite sex joins either of you in your favorite recreational activities, you are at risk to fall in love with that person. Besides, if you are not together when you are enjoying yourselves the most, you are squandering an opportunity to deposit love units.

Fortunately, Joyce and I took the path that led to marital fulfillment. We exchanged activities that only I enjoyed for new activities that we both enjoyed. We remained each other's favorite recreational companions after marriage even though most of our recreational activities changed. And it's a good thing, because recreational companionship is definitely one of my most important emotional needs.
http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi3320_rec.html

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
And I would again state that I am not my H's momma and he is not my daddy. I can go do whatever the he11 I want anytime I want. I am a big girl. But what I want most is a happy, thriving marriage, because that brings me the greatest happiness and contentedness. The quality of my life is directly linked to my marriage. My marriage brings me the greatest happiness, so I make it a priority and it repays me 1000 fold.

I get the GREATEST return on my investment by investing in my marriage. Much, much more than I ever would in hanging out in bars or fostering a separate social life. I am a ROI kinda gal.

In order to continue reaping the benefits of a great marriage that brings me enormous happiness, I am more than anxious to continue making investments in my marriage. BUT...I lose money on my investment when I NEGLECT or IGNORE my marriage and pay more attention to my girlfriends or any other singular activity.

See how it works?

p.s. regarding going to the GYM. I stopped going to the gym and working with a personal trainer because it made my H very unhappy. I have a gym at HOME now and he is fine with that.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

C
C
I thought that was what I was saying - that your marriage is your first priority, and if it's hurting, you focus all your efforts on it. If it's working, then you consider what else there is or could be in your life that would make you happy as well, so that you can both bring extra zing to the M from having a great well-rounded life and interests that you can share (or not), and that become part of you. And of course, if it is detrimental to the M, you don't do it.

I was NOT advocating an entire separate social life; just the ability to have lunch with your friends, or take the kids to the mall, or sign up for tennis lessons, as opportunities arise.

In our situation, my H wants me to be in good shape, and he knows I'm happy when I exercise, and he knows I'd never have an affair, so it's a win/win for me to go to the gym. In fact, he paid for a membership so D17 could go, too. He has one, but rarely goes (when he goes, he sits on a stationary bike and talks on his phone, lol).

Granted, if there was a sense of distrust among us, this wouldn't be happening. Affairage has just never been an issue with us. When girls hit on him, he comes home and tells me about it, or calls me from the bar (with a client; he doesn't drink) to laugh about it. So I can see how everyone here would have a different take on the subject; I'm just presenting mine.

S
S
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
And I would again state that I am not my H's momma and he is not my daddy. I can go do whatever the he11 I want anytime I want. I am a big girl. But what I want most is a happy, thriving marriage, because that brings me the greatest happiness and contentedness. The quality of my life is directly linked to my marriage. My marriage brings me the greatest happiness, so I make it a priority and it repays me 1000 fold.

I get the GREATEST return on my investment by investing in my marriage. Much, much more than I ever would in hanging out in bars or fostering a separate social life. I am a ROI kinda gal.

In order to continue reaping the benefits of a great marriage that brings me enormous happiness, I am more than anxious to continue making investments in my marriage. BUT...I lose money on my investment when I NEGLECT or IGNORE my marriage and pay more attention to my girlfriends or any other singular activity.

See how it works?

p.s. regarding going to the GYM. I stopped going to the gym and working with a personal trainer because it made my H very unhappy. I have a gym at HOME now and he is fine with that.

I would agree with Melody Lane. Me and my H do pretty much everything together. He used to play softball all the time, but i went with him to his games. We both like to play cards so we found a few people that do as well and we do play TOGETHER. My M is the most important thing to me and it is my hobby, and it is my interest. Just doing things together is WONDERFUL, I do not feel the need to do things without him.

C
C
You're probably right, for most people. I think my opinion is skewed by the fact that my H would just as soon never see another person in the world except me and D17. He wants to do everything together, even if it's just driving to the drugstore and back. So it's hard for me to be joyful at the aspect of spending every waking moment with my H, when that's mostly what I already get, and if I say I want to have lunch with a friend I haven't seen in 6 months, his response is "Why?"

N
N
Cat, I wonder if it's because he knows you don't like spending time with him on some level. The article on Controlling Spouse describes it really well. http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5043_qa.html

Your husband probably loves you more than you can ever imagine. While it's true that his demanding and controlling tendencies are driving you nuts, he does it because he has no reason not to do it. It works for him, so why should he stop? Besides, he probably doesn't think he's at all controlling. He probably thinks he is protecting you.

You probably have put up with his controlling ways over the years because you felt that if you left him, you might not survive. So you have allowed all the love units to be drained from your Love Bank until there are none left. If you wait much longer, he'll be so far in the red that you'll hate the man. When you were first married, your husband met many of your emotional needs and deposited enough love units for you to fall in love. That's why you agreed to marry him. But, over the years, he has not tried as hard to meet your needs, particularly your need for affection, and that has lowered his account balance in your Love Bank....

Then there is his loud and controlling behavior: That has drained your Love Bank of all the rest of the love units that were once there. He has not learned how to make decisions that take your feelings into account and that makes you feel miserable. Whenever he forces you into a decision, instead of reaching one through mutual agreement, love units are withdrawn from your Love Bank. He gets his way, but at the expense of your love for him.

The reason that you feel you need space to be your own person is because of the way your husband makes decisions. Who wants to be married to a dictator! When you were in love with him, you would have gladly made mutually agreeable decisions, because you felt emotionally connected to him. But now he feels like a stranger to you, and all you want is to get away from your jailer once and for all. Your relationship with your husband has become so unfulfilling to you that even the idea of mutual agreement may be unappealing to you -- you simply don't want to deal with the man anymore.

To be honest with you, if your husband encouraged you to spend evenings with your friends, he'd never see you. If he agreed to support you so that you could attend school, when your education would be completed, you'd leave him. In fact, the reason you may have stayed with him this long may be due to how difficult it would be supporting yourself on the income you are presently making. To some extent, he may be aware of how you are slipping away from him, and in his desperation, he may become even more demanding and controlling. [Thank goodness, cat, he's not doing this part, right?]

I know you have tried to tell him how you feel in the past, and he doesn't seem to listen. But I suggest you do it one more time. This time go to him with a plan.

You mentioned that you gave him a self-help book once before, and his enthusiasm with the chapter on sex turned you off. Well, my book, Fall in Love, Stay in Love, also emphasizes sex, but it's in the context of a host of other factors that come together to make sex very appealing. The book will help you learn to negotiate without being demanding or selfish. I show you how to make decisions without trying to control each other. It also shows you how to overcome Love Busters, such as selfish demands, disrespectful judgments, and angry outbursts. These destructive habits have just about ended your marriage, but if you can eliminate them now, you may be able to save it.

And, it also explains how time for undivided attention with affection and intimate conversation is a prerequisite for sexual fulfillment -- especially for women. By the time you have learned to negotiate with ease, have overcome Love Busters, and have created a romantic relationship, you won't need any help with sexual fulfillment.

Your husband wants you to be happy living with him. I guarantee it. And he is probably aware of his failure. But he doesn't know what to do about it. He doesn't know how to talk to you about your conflicts, and he can see you drifting away from him. Fall in Love, Stay in Love will teach him how to discuss conflicts with you without being controlling, and it will teach him how to make you happy. After you've both learned its lessons, you'll find a much greater willingness on his part to help you finish school, to develop new interests, and to expand your horizons. But it will be done without the threat of you leaving him. Instead, he will be involved with you in your development, not as a controlling husband, but as an interested lover.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
D
dkd Offline
D
We seem to be drifting away from what is ok to do without the spouse to whether you need to do anything at all without the spouse. I understand that it's great to do everything together. And I would agree that indepedent behavior is a problem, I just don't think you have to eliminate everything that you do solo.

For the softball example, it's great that you go watch his games, but if you have 3 young kids, it's incredibly difficult to bring them to the games. With young kids, you often have to split up to get anything done without going insane.

That being said, there is obviously too much independent behavior. HH may be ok every now and then, but when it becomes weekly or something and the spouse is more interested in HH then spending time with the other spouse, it's a problem. It's not neccessarily because of the threat of affair, but because it becomes an LB, in my opinion.

I guess for me, independent behavior would be going on a vacation without spouse, playing in a coed sports league without spouse. Playing in multiple leagues. Having a weekly get together with friends for purely social reasons, that takes priority over family activites. A more then monthly coed social activity. Going to certain places that dictate a desire for a single lifestyle.

I understand that you should drop hobbies where your spouse can't be included, but I think one or two is ok if done with respect.

And brutal honesty and POJA should always apply. If a spouse is not comfortable with a spouses activity, they should come to an agreement about going or not going, definitley leaning towards the not going.

Me 38
Divorced 8/09
DS 10,6
DD 4
S
S
I guess we just see things differently. I did have 3 young children (all under the age of 4) when my H played softball. And i hardly ever missed one of his games, now i will admit that i had to take everything including the kitchen sink with me to those games laugh , but it was a very enjoyable time for all of us. My kids still talk about all the friends they made during those years and still hang out with some of the other players children.

He also played in a dart league at bars when we were younger and i went with him to that too (no kids then).

I just think that once you are married, you are married and you really should not have ANY independent behavior IMHO.

I have my job where i can talk to my same sex friends and it makes me feel like i am contributing to my family.

I have my kids which bring me great joy and pride. And i have my H for everything else. For me, I do not need anything else.

D
dkd Offline
D
When I played basketball, no other wives or families ever were there.

It did occur to me though that since my children started playing soccer and baseball, both parents have always made every attempt to be there. That does kind of negate the whole, "it's too difficult" arguement. grumble

Me 38
Divorced 8/09
DS 10,6
DD 4
K
K
Going out and drinking without your spouse?

Ha ha ha. Not gonna happen in my situation.

Not at a bar, a club, or anywhere else for that matter.

Insisting on it is grounds for divorce, post d-day.

Divorced
M
M
Granted, if there was a sense of distrust among us, this wouldn't be happening. Affairage has just never been an issue with us. When girls hit on him, he comes home and tells me about it, or calls me from the bar (with a client; he doesn't drink) to laugh about it. So I can see how everyone here would have a different take on the subject; I'm just presenting mine.

cat, I am not talking about marriages that have been hit by adultery, but ALL marriages. ALL marriages should be affair proofed. The principles I spoke of are Marriage Builders principles that apply to ALL MARRIAGES in order stay in love.

The fact that your H hangs out in bars and hit on by women is an indication that he probably WILL have an affair because he has no BOUNDARIES. That is WHO has affairs. People who don't have boundaries have affairs.

Have you ever read any of the Harley materials? How would you rate the level of passion and romantic love in your marriage?

Exposure 101

M
M
You're probably right, for most people. I think my opinion is skewed by the fact that my H would just as soon never see another person in the world except me and D17. He wants to do everything together, even if it's just driving to the drugstore and back. So it's hard for me to be joyful at the aspect of spending every waking moment with my H, when that's mostly what I already get, and if I say I want to have lunch with a friend I haven't seen in 6 months, his response is "Why?"

WHY are you not joyful at the prospect of spending all your time with your husband? Have you been using MB principles?

Exposure 101

M
M
When girls hit on him, he comes home and tells me about it, or calls me from the bar (with a client; he doesn't drink) to laugh about it. So I can see how everyone here would have a different take on the subject; I'm just presenting mine.

That is really scary. You think that because your H has told you in the past about his risk-taking in your marriage, that it erases the risk he is taking? This is how affairs start, cat, and you don't seem to know this.

The people who have affairs are just as "trusted" as your husband. [Kathie Lee Gifford trusted her husband and he always came home and told her about women who hit on him] But they take stupid risks like this.

And then one day, in a weak moment of vulnerabililty, and it usually comes with such people, they don't resist. And he doesn't have to tell you anything.

cat, I can't believe you have not learned any more than this in all the time you have been here.

You think the people here are against a spouse hanging out in bars because they have been burned and don't trust their spouses. You would be WRONG if you think that is the reason. The reason is because they have the WISDOM that comes with experience. We have experience, you don't.

Trust is not something that should be afforded your H with his poor boundaries, cat. It is not lack of trust that destroys marriages, but a lack of boundaries.

Exposure 101

K
K
Mel, you are right. You have to wonder why people want to spend time away from their partners. For me, independent behaviour was the beginning of the end. Before I started on independent behaviour I was ALWAYS happy to have my H present where ever we were and whatever we were doing. A friend told me during my A, when she was doing whatever she could to try to stop my A (which was very rapidly working towards telling him), that "my face lit up" as soon as my H walked in the room.

I don't go drinking with girlfriends, I don't go on girls weekends away. I don't go because I respect my H's feelings. I want him to feel safe. I don't resent it in the least. I have given up my independent behaviour. It only led to disaster.

I meet my best girlfriend for lunch about twice a month. My H sees his best mate to play the guitar and chat once a week (on one of his days off which is a Monday). We are both completely happy with this. I wouldn't even meet my girlfriend for dinner unless both our spouses came along.

P
P
Okay, in staying with this topic (sorta) but on the other end of the spectrum... my DH is in Bible school and part of his training is mission trips to Mexico and other places (for a week or more at a time). I don't go on these trips because (a) we can't afford for me to take off work and (b) I have no desire to go.

After what we've been through, DH tells me that he makes it a point to never be alone with another female, to never counsel another female, to never even PRAY for another female (without asking another female member of the team to come and join in). He is patterning these choices (or boundaries?) after our pastor. Shoot, our pastor won't even go to the restroom alone at church. He always has 2-3 people around him so as to avoid any CHANCE of an encounter or rumor of an encounter.

Am I wrong for not wanting to go on these trips? Is my husband wrong for going without me? He is training to be an evangelist that travels out on the road often, but always in groups.

I can name several "ministers" or "evangelists" that have fallen for the wiles of a needy woman or a power-hungry woman, but is it because they didn't have the boundaries in place they needed or because they were just human? I tend to vote for the former.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
M
M
PM, Dr Harley would tell you not to spend time apart like that. It is a recipe for an affair. It is hard on even the BEST marriages. Many, many people here have changed their lives to either quit travel or begin traveling with their spouses.

Exposure 101

P
P
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
PM, Dr Harley would tell you not to spend time apart like that. It is a recipe for an affair. It is hard on even the BEST marriages. Many, many people here have changed their lives to either quit travel or begin traveling with their spouses.

Wow that's tough because this has been my DH's dream for a long time and the whole point of him going to school. I've had a feeling for awhile that this is going to become a point of contention between us because while I support his going to school, I'm not so sure I support what goes along with the end result. Guess that's for another thread though. dontknow

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 118 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
peppa, RP4280, Philip Pitre, ClarencePeterson, ColsDawg
71,872 Registered Users
Latest Posts
Children
by BrainHurts - 09/28/24 06:19 PM
Spying on Wife's phone without getting caught?
by ClarencePeterson - 09/22/24 08:59 PM
Depression
by ClarencePeterson - 09/22/24 11:19 AM
Separated/Dating
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 08:58 PM
Child activities
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 08:56 PM
Loss of libido/Sexual Attraction
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 06:10 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,608
Posts2,323,426
Members71,872
Most Online3,185
Jan 27th, 2020
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2024, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation