Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
brokenhusband #2124229 09/09/08 01:40 PM
M
M
As for salvation all sins are equal, as they all lead to death, unless you are saved.

Perhaps you should argue with Christ on that point. HE clearly said that anyone that causes another to stumble (sin) is committing a greater sin.

I do agree that the wages of sin are death...but that does not change the fact that some sins have been identified as GREATER.

I truly hope you are not suggesting that stealing something...let's say an apple is no different than raping a child. That is preposterous. Thankfully all sin is not equal...in heaven and here on earth.

medc #2124262 09/09/08 02:25 PM
B
B
Does it matter if a sin is greater than another? If you sin the punishment is eternal death.

Originally Posted by medc
I truly hope you are not suggesting that stealing something...let's say an apple is no different than raping a child. That is preposterous. Thankfully all sin is not equal...in heaven and here on earth.

I think that both are equal in that both are breaking the law and the punishment is eternal death. They are not nor should be equal in the consiquence on earth. I do beleive that there are rewards for believers that are based on works done on earth and that there are punishments for those who continue to break the law and don't repent. Are there levels of H#ll for those who commit a greater sin? I think there is. But again does it matter how much punishment you receive in H#ll, when you are already completly seperated for the joy of Heaven for all eternity.

Brokenhusband
Married 12 years
Me 35
DW 33
DD 12
DD 10
DS 8
brokenhusband #2124331 09/09/08 03:38 PM
G
G
I'm no expert in Christianity, but I HAVE gone to a
Catholic kindergarten
Catholic elementary school
Catholic high school
Catholic College
Catholic grad school.

I had to take some sort of religious studies in all those years. ANd those years covered a lot of changes in church thought. Never, ever in all those years and all those classes have I ever been taught that onanism is the same as murder. Never.

I, in my year of trouble here, I am on th fourth reading of the King James. Now, again , being no expert, I can remember several passages where sins are NOT called equal. Now, I DO recall the bible saying that GOD will remove ALL sin (which doesn't sit well with many)no matter how often and which kind, as long as the sinner is TRULY repentant. I have found where Jesus ranked the top two commandments, but I have NEVER found a passage that says all sins are equal. That is my understanding at this time.

gabagool #2124360 09/09/08 04:07 PM
B
B
I agree that there are different punishments for different sins. My point is that no matter how small or large the sin is does not matter when even the smallest sin is enough to seperate you from Christ. No one but Christ has been able to keep all of the law.

If I steal I have sinned against God. If I murder I have sinned against God. If I tell a lie I have sinned. All have different punishments, both from man and from God. Unless I repent of those sins one punishment from God is the same I will spend eternity in H#ll.

Brokenhusband
Married 12 years
Me 35
DW 33
DD 12
DD 10
DS 8
brokenhusband #2124361 09/09/08 04:11 PM
G
G
With that, I agree.

The bible is hard to understand at times. I am NOT a fan of the old testament. I understand times were different back than, but some of the verses attributed to God are chilling. I really think they blew it when they added certain books to the old testament. I have read PLENTY of websites defending the old testament God, but, in all honesty, it all sounded like excuses to me.

Either that, or I am just misunderstanding it all.

medc #2124366 09/09/08 04:14 PM
B
B

Thanks for the website.

Brokenhusband
Married 12 years
Me 35
DW 33
DD 12
DD 10
DS 8
gabagool #2124373 09/09/08 04:18 PM
B
B
Originally Posted by gabagool
I really think they blew it when they added certain books to the old testament. I have read PLENTY of websites defending the old testament God, but, in all honesty, it all sounded like excuses to me.

Are you refering to the additional books in the Catholic Catechism? I don't have a copy of them. I use KJV, NIV, ESV, or NASB.

Last edited by brokenhusband; 09/09/08 04:20 PM.

Brokenhusband
Married 12 years
Me 35
DW 33
DD 12
DD 10
DS 8
brokenhusband #2124383 09/09/08 04:27 PM
G
G
No,
the two books toughest for me to take are Leviticus and Joshua.

I rag at the Koran for being so friggen backward and hateful. Read these two books and I could see how others rip the WHOLE bible apart.

Now, the new testament, Jesus is EXACTLY the person I wish I could be.

PS: Broken, it seems that I have a TON of catching up to do before I can understand it like you and Medc.

Last edited by gabagool; 09/09/08 04:28 PM.
gabagool #2124389 09/09/08 04:38 PM
B
B
PS: Broken, it seems that I have a TON of catching up to do before I can understand it like you and Medc.

I can't speak for Medc. He does seem to know his stuf though and I respect what he has to say.

As for myself. If I had followed as much as I know I would not need to be here. My living it knowledge is growing. I have some really good teachers at my church. Sundays I have a class doing a verse by verse study of Acts. On Wen. I have another class on the first 5 chapters of Romans.

Brokenhusband
Married 12 years
Me 35
DW 33
DD 12
DD 10
DS 8
brokenhusband #2124417 09/09/08 05:16 PM
E
E
I struggle with this because of what James 2:10 says:

For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all.

So from that perspective, it doesn't seem to matter how small we, or even God might think our sin is, once we've sinned, we are guilty of breaking all the law.

So discussions about which sins are greater and which sins are "not so bad" among humanity seem pointless.

So effectively, as has been said by others, it doesn't matter how trivial we think our sin is, once we've sinned, we are no better nor worse than any other sinner. We are all in exactly the same place, guilty of breaking the entire law.

Enlightened_Ex #2124473 09/09/08 07:01 PM
G
G
Yeah, but

EE

I don't feel comfortable worshipping a God that thinks missing mass is on an equal path as Hitler.

Now, I have NO problem believing that he would forgive even the most EVIL man as quickly as he would forgive me......I just would like to think God has more common sense than to think sins are all equal.

The writers of the Bible constantly contradict each other. This may be one time.

gabagool #2124477 09/09/08 07:06 PM
B
B
Well let's just assume for now that missing mass is actually a sin OK.......

What is God's penalty for ALL sin? Is HIS penalty different for different sins?

See I believe ALL sin is punishable with the same penalty. IE DEATH.

If we are not born again, our sins are all paid for by us be they murder, adultery or missing mass. Same penalty.

If we are born again, Jesus has paid for our sins in our place.

Frankly, differentiating between different degrees of sin is like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. It's ALL deadly.

Me: 56 (FBS) Wife: 55 (FWW)
D-Day August 2005
Married 11/1982 3 Sons 27,25,23
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
gabagool #2124480 09/09/08 07:07 PM
B
B
The writers of the Bible constantly contradict each other.

They do? WOW. Do tell.

D-Day August 2005
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
bigkahuna #2124484 09/09/08 07:11 PM
G
G
Yeah,
I totally hear what your saying, but, again would God hold missing mass against me by pitching me into eternal damnation? (Because missing it IS a sin). We are ALL sinners, and if you die without the opportunity to repent, then what? Jesus DID die for us, because God got sick and tired with us screwing up all the time, he finally figured out "Hey, I preform miracles, split the sea for them, and they STILL build a calf......." I figured he decided to make it even easier for us.

Religion is just real difficult to make sense out of. I guess thats why he gave us faith. And I'm trying real hard to refind that faith.

gabagool #2124498 09/09/08 07:34 PM
M
M
The writers of the Bible constantly contradict each other

Yeah. I'd like to see those passages that contradict each other too.

I looked for them for many years and never found them. I have heard people talk of these things for over 50 years, but no one has ever pointed one out to me.

Found a lot of times that I didn't understand what the writers said or missed the mark of context as far as time in history & colloquial language and stuff...

Mark

Mark1952 #2124501 09/09/08 07:40 PM
G
G
Mark
I wish it WASN'T true. But look it up on different websites, and then check it in the bible. 95% of the time, its there. And 95% of the time, its pretty clear.

I checked websites that say "contridictions answered" and I admit, a few can be looked at different ways, but for the most part, I kinda figured that NO MATTER WHAT was written, these People were gonna figure out how to make it NOT CONTRADICTORY.

The net is FULL of these websites. Just check what they write, don't take their word for it, becasue I am fully away that some of these sites will find fault with the bible on ANY plane.

I tell you, I understand why FAITH is so so important. Especially in the old testament.

gabagool #2124509 09/09/08 07:59 PM
B
B
I totally hear what your saying, but, again would God hold missing mass against me by pitching me into eternal damnation? (Because missing it IS a sin). We are ALL sinners, and if you die without the opportunity to repent, then what? Jesus DID die for us, because God got sick and tired with us screwing up all the time, he finally figured out "Hey, I preform miracles, split the sea for them, and they STILL build a calf......." I figured he decided to make it even easier for us.

OK well here you are now asking about our eternal security.

We are covered by the blood of Jesus when we do sin - so if you die without having repented or had no opportunity to repent then I believe Jesus says "My grace is sufficient"

Now if you are in habitual sin and rebellion and REFUSE to repent - then I think you are in deep trouble. The bible for instance says there will be no adulterors in heaven. So if someone REFUSES to repent and forsake their adultery, I wouldn't like to be in their shoes when I appear before God.

The bible says He remembers our sins no more for HIS sake. Interesting isn't it.

D-Day August 2005
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
gabagool #2124512 09/09/08 08:01 PM
B
B
Mark
I wish it WASN'T true. But look it up on different websites, and then check it in the bible. 95% of the time, its there. And 95% of the time, its pretty clear.

I checked websites that say "contridictions answered" and I admit, a few can be looked at different ways, but for the most part, I kinda figured that NO MATTER WHAT was written, these People were gonna figure out how to make it NOT CONTRADICTORY.

The net is FULL of these websites. Just check what they write, don't take their word for it, becasue I am fully away that some of these sites will find fault with the bible on ANY plane.

I tell you, I understand why FAITH is so so important. Especially in the old testament.

Yes - the Net is full of absolute rubbish.

WHat most web sites state as a contradiction isn't and their agenda is pretty their agenda is pretty transparent.

D-Day August 2005
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
gabagool #2124516 09/09/08 08:10 PM
B
B
Can you give a specific case where you feel there is a contradiction? As my teacher tells me, back it up with scripture not what you've always been told or what you heard.

Brokenhusband
Married 12 years
Me 35
DW 33
DD 12
DD 10
DS 8
gabagool #2124521 09/09/08 08:25 PM
K
K
Yeah,
I totally hear what your saying, but, again would God hold missing mass against me by pitching me into eternal damnation? (Because missing it IS a sin).

Where in The Bible does it say missing Mass is a sin? If it is then everyone but Catholics are commiting a mortal sin.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 594 guests, and 60 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation