Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
OP Offline
R
CatPerson,

Are you around? Folks on the Emotional Needs Board are worried about you, Hon.

Jo

E
E
Well we finally got power restored today. We fared fairly well. None of the big pine trees fell on our house. But quite a few neighbors have trees through the house. The day after Ike was not good. Hot and raining. But the cool front was a welcome sight. It really dried out the air and brought much cooler weather. Services are still very limited. Gas lines are 1-2 hours in some locations. Ice is a very valuable resource also that is limited. We threw all of the food from the fridge away today. The trash ran today which was a good thing also. Slowly but surely life will return as we know it.

For all the others that were affected by Ike I hope your life returns to normal soon.

Me 45
W 46
Married 24 years
D23 S19 D17 D17(twins)
B
B
Our president says that FEMA will pay for the clean up. Hope they will, and the victims get what they need. We all need to pull together and aid other Americans FIRST.

W
W

W 46
H 45
M 24
D 23 S 19 twin D's 17
DIA 06/08
C
C
Originally Posted by Resilient
CatPerson,

Are you around? Folks on the Emotional Needs Board are worried about you, Hon.

Jo
I'm good, thanks. No power, no phone, no cable (sob!), don't even want to think about all the new shows I'm missing on tv, lol. Finally started getting cell phone service Tuesday or Wednesday. Our friends in Clear Lake (near the shore) ended up having power the very next day, and no storm surge! He called today to borrow our power washer, and when I told him we still had no power, he was so upset that he didn't know, cos he would have had us come stay with him all week...

So we're at our friend's house tonight - went straight for the tv and started looking for all the cable shows I'd become addicted to, lol.

Waited 4 freakin' hours in line for gas Tuesday, cos I was down to half a gallon (after bonehead husband took a joy ride around town the day before and used up my whole tank), and two days later there weren't even any lines! grrr

Grocery stores are barely staying open in my area (northeast; right near Porter, btw), and when they are open, they only allow us to buy 2 bags of ice at a time, and their aisles look like out of a Soviet Union movie, where you have more empty shelves than those with actual food on them. H went to Walmart today to find meat for our friend to barbecue (I went to Kroger, but they had a line out the door and were only allowing 40 people in the store at a time), and the only meat he could find was a box of frozen steaks; two days earlier I went there and the only meat they had was 6 or 8 packages of ground beef. I would have bought more than one, but we don't have a generator, and our next door neighbor let us run a line to his to keep our refrigerator going, but he only turned us on for anywhere from 2 to 8 hours a day! So I'll have to throw most of our food out, cos it's just barely cool.

It's been quite surreal, to say the least.

Oh, and we won't be getting power in our area until at least next Tuesday. But at least we have a gas stove and hot water. And our house. Could be worse.

W
W
Cat,
I am in NW Houston. I have power, but the houses right across the street don't. Talk about bonding with the H! We've been through heck this last week and it doesn't look good for the next one either. I won't go back to work for another week at least. I work in Pasadena so does H. We were finacially down and now we may be out! We lost our only car frown We'll see if that old saying about the tough get going still applies. I would rather just sit down and cry.

I know what you mean about ice, food and gas. I now know what to do if another one hits! LEAVE. I dont think the rest of the country has any idea how bad it is here. I just can't even think about something bigger hitting us. We still can not get eggs, haven't had any for over a week. Milk and bread is scarce and it's hard to get cash money. The banks are closed, without power.

If you pray, pray for the people who were hit by this.

W 46
H 45
M 24
D 23 S 19 twin D's 17
DIA 06/08
D
D
Hey WifeEWSII,

If you would like, I would be happy to bring you guys some food or supplies. We have plenty of eggs in our town!! A lot of people were stocking up here last Sunday before going back into the Houston area.

But yeah, I could grab my cousin to help me and take a ride out. If anyone needs anything it's not easy to get just let me know and I'd be happy to try and get it to y'all.

As long as it's not a car or something insanely expensive! wink

So let me know!!

I remember when Rita shut down our town and you couldn't get even simple things like eggs--there were rumors that someone was selling them for 10 or 20 dollars a dozen somewhere.

We got stuck on pork roast, thanks to my grandma!! She brought it up and everyone started craving it, of COURSE!! Since we couldn't get it! I almost bought one the other day but we lucked out here this time and the town didn't really miss a beat as far as supplies. At least not yet!!

Take care,

Charlotte

C
C
I am nowhere near Texas - that other T state - but we are having gasoline shortages. The 4 stations closest to my house are totally out. I waited in line 45 minutes yesterday. I thought I was lucky. Got it at the second station I went to. The first one had a line that dwarfed the one I ended up in.

My prayers go out to you guys.

C
C
Originally Posted by WifeEWSII
Cat,
I am in NW Houston. I have power, but the houses right across the street don't. Talk about bonding with the H! We've been through heck this last week and it doesn't look good for the next one either. I won't go back to work for another week at least. I work in Pasadena so does H. We were finacially down and now we may be out! We lost our only car frown We'll see if that old saying about the tough get going still applies. I would rather just sit down and cry.

I know what you mean about ice, food and gas. I now know what to do if another one hits! LEAVE. I dont think the rest of the country has any idea how bad it is here. I just can't even think about something bigger hitting us. We still can not get eggs, haven't had any for over a week. Milk and bread is scarce and it's hard to get cash money. The banks are closed, without power.

If you pray, pray for the people who were hit by this.
Email me, wifeEWSII. (whiteturnera@yahoo.com) I'm going to work Monday in the NW (290 at Hollister), and I would be glad to bring you some stuff since you don't have transportation. Do you own or rent? Can you move to Pasadena?

W
W
Thanks to everyone who wanted to help us out. We'll be fine. We have an old junker van until we can get the car fixed. I still need eggs; anyone have any chickens to sell? As far as moving to Pasadena, are you sane? I am putting this house up for sell and moving to San Antonio or Austin! I can't believe a Class 2 storm did all this damage. If anything any bigger would have hit our whole country would have suffered! Gas lines in Tennessee?

W 46
H 45
M 24
D 23 S 19 twin D's 17
DIA 06/08
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 126 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
peppa, RP4280, Philip Pitre, ClarencePeterson, ColsDawg
71,872 Registered Users
Latest Posts
Children
by BrainHurts - 09/28/24 06:19 PM
Spying on Wife's phone without getting caught?
by ClarencePeterson - 09/22/24 08:59 PM
Depression
by ClarencePeterson - 09/22/24 11:19 AM
Separated/Dating
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 08:58 PM
Child activities
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 08:56 PM
Loss of libido/Sexual Attraction
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 06:10 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,608
Posts2,323,426
Members71,872
Most Online3,185
Jan 27th, 2020
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2024, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation