Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2123312 09/08/08 11:07 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Mr Pep & I went to this film event yesterday ...

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/cineramadome.htm

and it was wonderful ....

recreational time together - we not only saw a film - we discussed everything about it - and it got me thinking about

grit

people with grit

my grandmother traveled from Ohio to central California in a covered wagon - she had grit plus some spare grit for others

are today's American's lazy and lacking grit?

.... am I myself grit challenged?

I wonder ....

I'll write more about this exciting movie experience (the buffalo stampede was remarkable)and relate it to some of my current events ... be back after work

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_the_West_Was_Won_(film)

Pep

Last edited by Pepperband; 09/08/08 11:10 AM.
T
T
Pep,

yes, I think many Americans today are without grit, many want things handed to them and not actually work for them.

Many parents coddle their kids, afraid to allow them suffer natural consequences of their actions.

It was funny, my daughter forgot her homework in her locker the a couple weeks ago before she went to work, she came home and asked me if I could write a note to her teacher..I just looked at her like she was crazy. She took the zero, and thus far hasn't forgot her homework since.

even in school, kids honestly think teachers hand out grades, or give better grades based on if the teacher likes you or not, so if the teacher doesn't like you..your going to fail, but if they do like you then your going to pass..to them it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact they haven't DONE the work required. And the parents go along with it, even going to the schools and complaining.

it's gotten to the point parents are calling employers who give their child a bad review at work..

Simul Justus Et Peccator
“Righteous and at the same time a sinner.”
(Martin Luther)
P
OP Offline
P
GRIT
firmness of mind or spirit : unyielding courage in the face of hardship or danger

we admire people with grit, or at least I can say, I admire people with grit

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

the story of How The West Was Won - is the story of human grit and determination pushed to the limits by the hardships of the "the west"

1830's - The Rivers

two families of settlers must build their own rafts and make their way down the Ohio River to find a better life - overcoming nature (the rapids) and fighting river pirates - solitary mountain men carving a living off the bounty of nature and trying to escape encroaching civilization

1850's - The Plains

a dance hall girl learns she has inherited a gold mine in California - she joins a wagon train - they survive harsh weather and an Indian attack - to learn the gold does not exist

The Civil War (1861~1865)

a widowed frontier mother reluctantly sees her eldest son go off to fight for his country - the soldier faces the horrors of war - and return home to the farm to learn his mother has died

1860's - The Railroad

the pony express is quickly made obsolete by something that is probably one of the defining historic efforts in American history - the transcontinental railroad - East vs West in a race to lay the most track - a great buffalo stampede does not stop the men who were determined to connect the coasts to each other

1880's - The Outlaws

the west attracted people who were adventurous - a little crazy - and not all of them were "nice law abiding citizens" - a train robbery with great stunt work

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

there is something beautiful about the human spirit
the determination and grit to keep going

it brings tears to my eyes
I think it's a Godly part of ourselves

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maria, my mother in law - had grit

she was born dirt poor in Texas
the eldest of 6
her mother died when she was young
she quit school in the 6th grade to pick cotton to earn money for the family

we recently buried Maria - and going through her belongings I discovered no photos of her as a child
there were none taken - there was no money for photographs

her father and her uncles were "not good to me" - was all she would ever say about why she left the home at such a young age

she lied about her age and married my father in law when she was 17
they married and he immediately was sent off to war - US army
the earliest photos are of her as a young woman - all dressed up - looking sassy - she wrote on the back of many of the photos -

"to my darling one and only husband from your loving wife Maria"

while her husband was away at war she worked as a maid
Maria was of Mexican descent - she worked for wealthy Texas Germans - they were a positive influence on Maria and showed her a way of life she had never dared dream for herself - she developed what she liked to call "champagne tastes on a beer budget"

Maria loved the old movies of the 40's and 50's - especially GWTW and the Liz Taylor Rock Hudson movie, Giant
because the movie was about Texan spirit
and because it showed what her life was like and the prejudice she faced in her youth

Maria never had a doll when she was a girl - when she was older - she began collecting dolls - she loved dolls - I think dolls represented a quality of life she thought she would never have growing up - but a quality of life she achieved by her own hard work and her grit

I purchased one of Maria's favorite dolls in the 90's - a Shirley Temple replica - she told me once it was a doll she always wanted but could never afford - she put "Shirley" in a glass case in the middle of her dining room

dirt poor
facing prejudice
uneducated

she too "went west"
when her husband returned from war - they moved to California

they worked in the canning factories - earned their way up from a one bedroom house on the wrong side of town to a 3 bedroom home in what is now known as "silicone valley"

I feel her absence
I honor her life
her courage
her faith

I love her

she had some GRIT dammit
she never was a whiner
she complained only how other people were treated, not herself

she had no time for people who wanted a free ride
she took adult education classes when work permitted
when people spoke Spanish to her she scolded her friends

"we're in America, speak English or you'll never get ahead"

when I was worried she'd say

"God will take care of you, always"

I doubt I will meet anyone quite like her again

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yesterday when Mr Pep and I were watching the movie - I kept thinking about Maria - she was there with me - her spirit - her courage - her grit

it made me teary eyed - but in a good way

Pep

C
C
Pep, thank you for writing this. I come from Texas Pioneers and your post hits me.

Has Maria passed? I missed that. I am sorry for your loss.

I wish I could have seen the screening you mentioned. Maybe next time.

Chrysalis
P
OP Offline
P
yes

she died August 24th

we buried her following her wishes
absolutely COVERED in pink carnations

a simple fragrant flower she preferred over roses smile

W
W
That's an absolutely beautiful story.

I couldn't sleep tonight, kept thinking of my grandma and the old aunts and uncles. Was going to post a favorite memories thread, but think now I will wait and see what this one beholds.

It wasn't only those who went west you know. Who had the grit.

It was also those who had to survive the great depression. Those that came here from other countries. The immigrants. And remember that old movie about the Oklahoma people who set out for California comes to mind. What was it called? Oh yes, "The Grapes of Wrath" Also the migrant workers of which my best friend families and BIL's families are from.

And the Jew's who escaped here during the Hitler's regime.

I just watched "Island's in the Stream" with George C. Scott so am reminded of the terrible WWII and what those who escaped endured in getting here and to Cuba. NOt to mention of course those who didn't.

Also, when we went to northern Wisconsin for the 4th, Paige read "Anne Frank's Diary" to me, in it's entirety, in the car. At the end I had tears streaming down my face while trying to not have to so I could drive. Stressful trip, but she insisted I must hear it.

Lots of grit from all over.

Great thread. I look forward to every one's memories and stories of their ancestors.

W
W
yes

she died August 24th

we buried her following her wishes
absolutely COVERED in pink carnations

a simple fragrant flower she preferred over roses

I'm sorry too, for your loss. Wow, it was just a couple of weeks ago.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
Pep, thank you for writing this. I come from Texas Pioneers and your post hits me.

Has Maria passed? I missed that. I am sorry for your loss.

I wish I could have seen the screening you mentioned. Maybe next time.

Thank you Chrys

my husband has a lot of friends and David S (seen in this link ) is one of his friends

we try to make all David's events - he's a very talented and interesting guy - a technical geek for sure - but really sweet

you can google Arclight and put yourself on their mailing list - they have some very cool stuff from time to time - we saw Lawrence Of Arabia on the big screen too (freaking-beautiful) - and several other movies as well

the music score of this movie raised goose bumps

Russ Tamblyn was at this event, with his family (Amber too smile ) - and he gave a little speech
Gregory Peck's family was there
some of the other surviving actors and stunt men
the audience is largely made up of film buffs and old farts like me - but very appreciative of the art of classic cinema

the next retro screening (I think) is The Godfather - but you can check their site

it's fun - let me know if you go to one

Pep

M
M
She sounds like a wonderful lady, Pep, and I am so sorry you lost her. Was she from up around Fredericksburg? That is an old 150 year old German settlement. I found this article on it from the Daily Texan. http://www.languagehat.com/archives/000620.php

Weaver, have you read Schindlers List? That is the story that moves me to the depths of my soul. The courage shown by Oscar Schindler, a German businessman, was a great story of decency, honor and courage of conviction. It is one of the most beautiful stories of life I know.

How is Mr. Pep doing?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Was she from up around Fredericksburg?

New Braunfels

have you ever noticed how much Mexican music resembles polka music?
very interesting mix of cultures

http://spanish.about.com/cs/culture/f/germanmusicqa.htm

How is Mr. Pep doing?

he's amazing! smile

Last edited by Pepperband; 09/08/08 10:52 PM.
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by weaves
That's an absolutely beautiful story.

thank you for saying ... smile

I couldn't sleep tonight, kept thinking of my grandma and the old aunts and uncles. Was going to post a favorite memories thread, but think now I will wait and see what this one beholds.

I look forward to reading about your relatives

Pep

M
M
Originally Posted by Pepperband
Was she from up around Fredericksburg?

New Braunfels

have you ever noticed how much Mexican music resembles polka music?
very interesting mix of cultures

http://spanish.about.com/cs/culture/f/germanmusicqa.htm

I never noticed, but I can sure see it once pointed out. That is amazing. I wonder if my fake Mexican friends at work know this? [they are 1st generation Mexicans and can't speak a lick of Spanish! fakes! skeptical] I will have to show this to my friend, Will. He is Hispanic and likes all that RAP nonsense. crazy

I thought of your H today when I got home and my DH was watching THAT SHOW. Funniest show on TV, IMO! grin

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

P
OP Offline
P
I never noticed, but I can sure see it once pointed out.

Buck Owens

I thought of your H today when I got home and my DH was watching THAT SHOW. Funniest show on TV, IMO! grin

it ain't THAT funny! :RollieEyes:

M
M
I never noticed, but I can sure see it once pointed out.

Buck Owens

I'm sorry, but Buck in red britches is downright disgustin and oughta be outlawed! TEEF

it ain't THAT funny! :RollieEyes:

That one guy wears PANTY HOSE under his shorts, PEP!! rotflmao

Exposure 101

P
OP Offline
P
That one guy wears PANTY HOSE under his shorts, PEP!! rotflmao

downright disgustin and oughta be outlawed!

W
W
Weaver, have you read Schindlers List? That is the story that moves me to the depths of my soul. The courage shown by Oscar Schindler, a German businessman, was a great story of decency, honor and courage of conviction. It is one of the most beautiful stories of life I know.

No Mel, and I wouldn't watch the movie or read the book. I can't handle stuff like that. Wouldn't have read "The Diary of Anne Frank" either, but P insisted to read it to me.

My nephew went to Germany to play baseball (he played for Grand Valley)and they had to go to probably the most infamous concentration camp (I have forgotten the name) that is now a museum of some sort (and these are a bunch of rough and tough ball players) and he told me he was overcome by the most horrifyingly sad energy in that place. He said no one could really get it out of their system for the rest of their ball tour. We were talking about it down in Texas with the relatives last month (years afer he was actually there) and he still got all choked up and half sick.

BTW, Pep, my late brother and his wife live in New Braunfels. They just bought the most beautiful house up in the hills, right outside of Braunfels. Beautiful country in a way, but completely opposite of what I can relate to. Nice people around there, too.

Last edited by weaves; 09/09/08 11:12 AM.
K
K
Pep, first let me say how sorry about your and Mr Pep's loss.

Y'know I am from pioneering stock as well. My ancestors made the six week journey in little wooden ships from England and Scotland. New Zealand was a wild and foreign land and they, too, broke in the land and made lives here thousands of miles from their original homes.

They had grit.

T
T
Jen, your post brought to mind the film "The Piano" with Holly Hunter and Sam Neill - early immigrants into NZ. Loved it although I haven't seen it for years. (wonder if I'd feel different now post affair)

Pep, I'm sorry to hear of your family's loss.

C
C
If you wanted to see a great movie, I recommend "Whale Rider".

D
D
Wow!

I can claim Kit Carson and some Scotch/Irish immigrants who ended up in the Appalachias falling off their buggy cos they were so druk as mi familia. Only one of the 3 brothers made it to Cali.

Pep,

New Braunfels during German Fest is a worthy trip. Pinky promise.

I never had to take the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

O'hana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.

My Story

Recovered!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 526 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation