Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 38 of 57 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 56 57
T
tully Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi Mindshare,

It will be good to see my friend this weekend. She's been a good support and I miss her.

How is Ruby fitting in with the Tully clan now? I'll bet the kids just love her to death already.
To be honest, I'm getting very fond of her myself. DD11 is mad about her. She had a quiet word with me this evening to ask me not to put Ruby outside when I get cross with her as she might not understand and run away never to return! She is a very affectionate dog but a bit bouncy at times.

How is the scone business?
Slow to get started because I've had so much going on that I put off starting until next Monday. I made a whole pile of different flavours of muffins this afternoon to get people to sample and I overheard DD8 Braveheart saying to WH on the phone that Mum had made lots of buns for selling.
Hopefully it will start happening next week.

Courage is the most important of all the virtues, because without courage you can't practice any other virtue consistently. You can practice any virtue erratically, but nothing consistently without courage.
Maya Angelou
T
tully Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Holyheart and Sugar, thank you for the explanations.
Cajones, you say! A very attractive feature in a man, no matter where they are located! wink

Courage is the most important of all the virtues, because without courage you can't practice any other virtue consistently. You can practice any virtue erratically, but nothing consistently without courage.
Maya Angelou
S
S
Originally Posted by tully
Update on the weekend: Not really a lot to report but WH didn't mention D to the girls. One the twins tackled him again (she's my little DD8 Braveheart) on the subject and asked him if he was going to get rid of OW. He said 'it's not as easy as all that'.
DD11 said to me quietly in private 'I don't think Dad would have told us the truth about all this if you hadn't'. I said 'No, iI don't think so either.' Still, he didn't tell them we were divorcing.
Hi tully,

I'm glad you reported these conversations with your children and I think you should try and follow Dr Harley's advice about telling them about the affair and its effects on them. Your children, like any children in their situation, have asked and will ask you about why you have chosen to separate from their father and when they will return home. If you try and shield them from the truth about their father's affair, they will not learn the truth about what his infidelity has done to their lives. They will not be told clearly and unequivocally that adultery is wrong. They will undoubtedly ask their father the same questions about when they can return home to live with him, and as you have shown in the above exchanges, he will not tell them the truth about his affair. It is highly likely that he would try to blame you for taking and keeping them away. Rather than saying truthfully that he refuses to end contact with OW, he might say that that you refuse to take the children home where he longs for them to be.

A recent thread discussed whether young children should be told of an affair: Whether, what and when to tell kids. The original poster, AlexEN, had was unhappy with advice he had been given by his IC not to tell his children of his wife's affair:
Originally Posted by AlexEN
Even my IC has said this; and I have my doubts. His point is that there will be a "right side and a wrong side of history" and ultimately they will find out the truth. My counter is, yeah, but what good does that do 10 years from now when the damage to their lives will have been done?

-AlexEN

Originally Posted by MelodyLane
I don't understand this reasoning. If they "find out" on their own, who will give them moral guidance? Isn't that the job of the parent? crazy Usually if the BS doesn't give them the facts and give them moral guidance, the WS WILL give them her own brand of "morality," which leaves the kids morally confused. The WS will teach them that wrong is right.

Dr. Harley on telling the children:

The reason that children should know about an affair is that exposing it to the light of day (letting everyone know), helps give the unfaithful spouse a dose of reality. An affair thrives on illusion, and whatever a betrayed spouse can do to eliminate the illusion is justifiable. Mold doesn't grow well in sunlight.

[quote]2. How honest should I be about the A? (they are 7 and under)

Tell your children as much as you can about their father's affair, and how it affects you. There are some counselors and lawyers that strongly disagree with me on this issue, but I have maintained that position for over 35 years without any evidence that children are hurt by it. They're hurt by the affair, not by accurate information regarding the affair. Just make sure that you don't combine accurate information with disrespectful judgments. For example, you can say that the OW has taken their father away from you, but you should not say that she is home-wrecker (or worse).

tully, your eldest is a perceptive young woman to have worked out that her father would not have told his children the truth about the affair.

It is very likely that the children will feel angry at their father for bring the OW into your marriage and breaking up their home, but that is surely as it should be. They should be angry with him for his wrongdoing. If, last week when they asked, you had not told them the truth about why they are unlikely to go back to France soon, they would have become angry with you for keeping them away for no reason.

On this weekend's events:

Haven't we all said to ourselves, and sometimes to our WSs, that this time they have gone too far and that we will divorce them right now, and then gone back on that? I did that many times, and I suspect that your WH is going through that process now. I wouldn't say that it is necessarily right for a BS to reverse a decision to divorce, and neither would I guess that your WH has definitely or permanently changed his mind, but I would not be surprised if he is rethinking what he said last week. Of course, he might change his mind many times, but in Plan B you're not supposed to hear about his thoughts. I'm not sure that I could resist knowing, in your position, but then I'm a disobedient MBer.

The story about the slippers made me laugh!

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
Originally Posted by tully
Holyheart and Sugar, thank you for the explanations.
Cajones, you say! A very attractive feature in a man, no matter where they are located! wink

Of course, faithful husbands, and former wayward husbands, have big ones attached to the correct organ.

How do you say big ones in Spanish? Cajones grandes?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
T
tully Offline OP
OP Offline
T
your eldest is a perceptive young woman...
Sugar, I am amazed at how perceptive children are. They often 'get the point' far quicker than adults who complicate things. It has taught me that I shouldn't underestimate them.

Maya Angelou
B
B
Originally Posted by Holyheart
How's this for a definition? "Little round things" that are attached to the underside of WH's brain.

Earlobes?! laugh j/k

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
B
B
If the man doesn't have a pair oh well, but at least you know WH is feeling the effects of your exposure. I have all sorts of images in my head of OW's behavior now that all her colleagues know she is a OW. grin

A weekend visit with your friend may be a good pick me up for you. I'm sure DD11 will be happy to see her friend too. Will be interesting to see what WH has to say for himself.

Don't listen to anyone about what you should do. No one walks in your shoes but you.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
N
N
Men! Bah!

Send a kid out the door in slippers without noticing?

Pick a kid up in slippers without noticing?

This is why the world is the way it is.

rotflmao

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
B
B
Trying2Live gave an excellent bit of advice on her thread.

She advises getting a brand new spiral notebook (no missing pages- I guess they can count) and using an ink pen with no spaces between entries, record every bit of converstion/interaction between WH and kids. Add nothing about-your emotions or feeling about this- list kids emotions when pertaining to activities: kids upset at missing meeting.

Also record visitation sched. and list every time WS misses a meeting.

Use pen (no erasing) no blank spaces (for later filling in)
her site says it better- she got into the habbit when she was a faoster mom.

This is just good back up for you when going thru any mediation.

In USA, this is court admissable>sp? and has been very helpful to many BS.

She explains it better that I can, and it seems like useful information that you may need to use.

Me; W 46
Him; H 46

2 girls
DD19
DD16
Dated/Married total 28 years.
..I am learning and working on myself.
C
C
I would like to bring back (paraphrased) something that was said a couple days back that deserves repeating. I think that any time your WH tries to talk to you about what he's done, and tries to justify it, just calmly keep repeating this:
Do you ever want one of your own girls to put up with such utter disrespect from her H one day?

You might even add "That's what you are teaching them to accept."

I can't think of a single thing that could/should hurt him more to the core. At least some day. Maybe not yet. But 5 years from now, when he's alone and the 4th or 5th OW has dumped him and he gets more and more pitiful, sitting in his tiny, empty, filthy, crappy apartment, he'll think back and remember you saying that to him, and realize how you took the high road, and he chose selfishness, and he'll feel the full weight of what he's done and what he's given up.

T
tully Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I agree, cat, but I'm hoping that I won't have to have this kind of conversation with him any more. Either he will crumble and this logic will be self-evident to him or he won't and we'll get a divorce and his mental state will no longer be my problem. My major dread is finding him in the middle ground as this would make a decision harder either way.

Maya Angelou
N
N
I'll make it reeeeeeeeeeal easy for ya, chica. I'll spank you six ways to Sunday if you think about taking him back half-way, LOL!!!

(Those transatlantic whoopins really sting!)

laugh

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
T
T

N
N
Learn something new every day.... :MrEEk:

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
T
tully Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Yes, ma'am!
I'll let you know if I get any feedback from my friend. So far nothing, so my glimmer of hope is fading. I've been imagining some conditions for return but I may not need them.

Maya Angelou
S
S
But you might need them.

It must be so irritating not to know whether he will proceed with divorce or whether your recent exposure has killed the fantasy of the affair. It must also be galling to have to wait for his decision as if he is Prince Charming deciding which fair lady should win the prize - him.

However, it does seem wise to make plans for both outcomes. I think that you need to be on the front foot when he tries to negotiate. You need some security in case of a later breakdown should you agree to return to the marriage, and the best financial and custody arrangements possible should he seek a divorce now.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
B
B
Originally Posted by thndrnltng

LOL. Then perhaps one can pull their cojones out of their cajones, dust them off and use them. Your can interpret drawers both ways too. stickout

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

T
T
Yes, you can, but at the time I posted I wasn't feeling clever enough to elaborate on it. crazy Now I must go get my drawers from my drawers and step out to face the day, cojone-less in spite of the fact that I've got cajones to BURN. (They're all wooden.)

tl

B
B
Women might be physicially cojone-less but they can still have cojones. wink Have a good day.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

T
T
I've been told mine are made of brass but I don't see how anyone could TELL. They're invisible, after all! I mean, it's not like I wear them on my shoulders--that's where I keep my chip! laugh

tl

Page 38 of 57 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 56 57

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 305 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Dr. Kabona, zoneofpleasure, priyu04, margoqwerty66, Torres1986
71,882 Registered Users
Latest Posts
Children
by BrainHurts - 10/19/24 04:02 PM
20 appointments and $1000’s later…
by BrainHurts - 10/17/24 01:06 PM
Can I become attracted to anyone?
by phinnino1 - 10/11/24 08:57 AM
MBRadio show discussing electric fence pers.
by phinnino1 - 10/11/24 08:55 AM
Lack of sex - anyway to fix it?
by phinnino1 - 10/11/24 08:51 AM
Radio Program Still Active?
by phinnino1 - 10/11/24 08:50 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,613
Posts2,323,450
Members71,883
Most Online3,185
Jan 27th, 2020
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2024, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation