Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 372
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 372
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Originally Posted by GreenMile
How could I "love" this OW and just walk away from it and not look back? How is that possible? That is what I am doing, and I am not experiencing withdrawal or cheating and seeing or communicating with her. Does that mean I did not really "love" her?

Greenmile, why are you asking us what you FELT? You are the only one that can report your feelings. From what you said, you were in love with the OW - addicted - for several years and then fell out of love with her. At what point did you fall out of love with her? Or did you?

If you did fall out of love with her, what caused that?

I fell out of love with her when two things happened. First was finding out, or actually realizing that my wife still loved and wanted me all that time, which despite her telling me that over the years, I really did not accept or grasp. In my mind, I had constructed a false idea about how she felt about me in order to justify my own selfish behavior and choices. At that moment, I fully realized the horror of what I had done. The second was when OW actually blackmailed me. I had deluded myself into thinking that she actually had some character and was not the low-life she actually was. At that moment, I realized what kind of person I had thrown my wife over for, just for ego strokes and sex. She was only interested in money. I cannot stand the thought of her now. And yet, I have behaved just as badly. I am as much of a low-life as OW.


FWH, age 63. 24 years of narcissistic behavior, infidelity, and emotional abandonment of my BS, age 57, DancesWithGoats (DWG). D-day two years ago, leading to emotional breakdown. Been working MB program and toward spiritual transformation and personal growth since then, with some slow but real progress. DWG still with no trust, but with grief starting to subside a bit.
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,510
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,510
Originally Posted by GreenMile
[I fell out of love with her when two things happened.

But it was discovery that stopped it three months ago? What was that? And then there was continuing contact, right? Tell us about that?

Quote
She was only interested in money. I cannot stand the thought of her now. And yet, I have behaved just as badly. I am as much of a low-life as OW.

Not to be jaded, but the self-flagellation here seems to be manipulative and aimed at Sad.

The facts are more important. How much money is involved here, going back to where you were paying OWhore for sex?

Look, GM, I have been busting your chops here mercilessly, but it is because you are a mirror to me. I have a MENSA card, I run the important committees in my town, my shy and trusting WW was under my thumb for years.

So when it fell apart I kept doing the soft shoe dance that had served me so well.

But it is a facade, a lifelong facade, and your wife now sees it as such, and it hurts her like you'll never know.

Your "penance" here is chosen to be on a message board you know she is reading, where you can play to a large audience undoubtedly populated by at least some gullible people drawn to your eloquence, as you are used to...

Time to drop that trip. It isn't about currying favor to the MB jury. It is about YOU. and YOUR WIFE. That is your world. Make her SAFE. Make her feel there is a new world for her. Give her everything and anything she demands to nurse a flicker of trust left in her.

Oh, and as someone who held every munipal title and led every charitable effort and was elected to everything.....drop that cr@p cold. Your family is number one. and two. and three. Quit all that ego polishing BS and find something you and sad can do in common. With me and Mrs Mike it was a foodbank.

Mike_C2 #2195583 01/18/09 11:47 PM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 372
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 372
Originally Posted by Mike_C2
Originally Posted by GreenMile
I want that, FF. I have been a scumbag and a fool hiding behind a veneer of goodness and accomplishment for all of my adult life.

awww....

come on, cut that cr@p out, we are on to you. Sympathy here is not an option. Repent with actions.

Man up and get to work.

Yes, I am depressed and at the lowest point of my life, and yes, it would feel nice to get some encouragement. But yes, manning up and getting to work is the only thing that has a chance of helping me. So, OK. I will stop looking for sympathy and act. Thanks, Mike C2. I have read your story, and I have nothing but respect for what you say here.


FWH, age 63. 24 years of narcissistic behavior, infidelity, and emotional abandonment of my BS, age 57, DancesWithGoats (DWG). D-day two years ago, leading to emotional breakdown. Been working MB program and toward spiritual transformation and personal growth since then, with some slow but real progress. DWG still with no trust, but with grief starting to subside a bit.
Mike_C2 #2195590 01/19/09 12:11 AM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 372
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 372
Originally Posted by Mike_C2
Originally Posted by GreenMile
[I fell out of love with her when two things happened.

But it was discovery that stopped it three months ago? What was that? And then there was continuing contact, right? Tell us about that?

Quote
She was only interested in money. I cannot stand the thought of her now. And yet, I have behaved just as badly. I am as much of a low-life as OW.

Not to be jaded, but the self-flagellation here seems to be manipulative and aimed at Sad.

The facts are more important. How much money is involved here, going back to where you were paying OWhore for sex?

Look, GM, I have been busting your chops here mercilessly, but it is because you are a mirror to me. I have a MENSA card, I run the important committees in my town, my shy and trusting WW was under my thumb for years.

So when it fell apart I kept doing the soft shoe dance that had served me so well.

But it is a facade, a lifelong facade, and your wife now sees it as such, and it hurts her like you'll never know.

Your "penance" here is chosen to be on a message board you know she is reading, where you can play to a large audience undoubtedly populated by at least some gullible people drawn to your eloquence, as you are used to...

Time to drop that trip. It isn't about currying favor to the MB jury. It is about YOU. and YOUR WIFE. That is your world. Make her SAFE. Make her feel there is a new world for her. Give her everything and anything she demands to nurse a flicker of trust left in her.

Oh, and as someone who held every munipal title and led every charitable effort and was elected to everything.....drop that cr@p cold. Your family is number one. and two. and three. Quit all that ego polishing BS and find something you and sad can do in common. With me and Mrs Mike it was a foodbank.

Yes. The discovery stopped it. The continued contact for a couple of months was not from me. It was from her. We kept cutting her off by blocking email addresses and phone numbers. We even contacted the Sheriff and consulted with an attorney who called her and warned her not to stalk us. The last contact was when she cleverly disguised herself as a guy who said "he" knew me from college in New Orleans. After several curious emails, it became clear that it was her trying to develop another secretive line of communication with me. That was about a month ago. I wrote her back, with my wife approving it, a response that amounted to a NC letter. Even so, Sad and I will be composing a more formal NC letter as recommended here.

Believe it or not, Mike, I am not looking to curry favor with the "MB Jury" as you say. Also, I have not been following my wife's threads, and she certainly has not posted on mine. My comments have been heartfelt, though probably childish and looking for sympathy, as you said, and not designed for her or to manipulate her, even if she reads them, because they are no different than we say directly to each other. Everything you say, though, is well taken. BTW, I have already cut back on my roles in several organizations and plan to step back further as quickly as possible.


FWH, age 63. 24 years of narcissistic behavior, infidelity, and emotional abandonment of my BS, age 57, DancesWithGoats (DWG). D-day two years ago, leading to emotional breakdown. Been working MB program and toward spiritual transformation and personal growth since then, with some slow but real progress. DWG still with no trust, but with grief starting to subside a bit.
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,862
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,862
Quote
she certainly has not posted on mine.... My comments.... not designed for her or to manipulate her, even if she reads them,

I call BS.

Your BW said you two have discussed what Mike has posted to you on your thread. So, you KNOW she's reading your thread.

So, there is no IF in "if she reads them,"

She does, and you know it.

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 372
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 372
My posts are not directed at her. As I said, there is nothing that I post that she and I do not say to each other in person. So, there is no impact of what I post here that affects her, whether she reads them or not. In fact, we are most often in the same room posting here, and we often discuss what people are offering in the way of advice while we are posting. Is that a problem? Should we avoid that? Early in this thread I said truthfully that I found my way to this site on my own laptop, after my wife suggested that there are forums on the internet where I can get help. So, I started searching independently and found MB, which appears to be the best of these sites. It was after I got here that she informed me that this was where she had joined some days earlier.

This has certainly aroused suspicion of manipulation by me in some who reply to me here, but I really believe that is a false concern. I am glad she and I are working the same program and will be arranging phone consultations and going to the weekend in March. I am determined to do everything I can to save this marriage if possible, and it is not productive for us when people question my sincerity on the basis that my wife is also posting on these forums. That is the last I will say about that. I just want to make sure that is not harmful or detrimental for us to both be here. If it is, then just tell me.


FWH, age 63. 24 years of narcissistic behavior, infidelity, and emotional abandonment of my BS, age 57, DancesWithGoats (DWG). D-day two years ago, leading to emotional breakdown. Been working MB program and toward spiritual transformation and personal growth since then, with some slow but real progress. DWG still with no trust, but with grief starting to subside a bit.
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,510
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,510
Originally Posted by GreenMile
Yes. The discovery stopped it. The continued contact for a couple of months was not from me. It was from her. We kept cutting her off by blocking email addresses and phone numbers. We even contacted the Sheriff and consulted with an attorney who called her and warned her not to stalk us. The last contact was when she cleverly disguised herself as a guy who said "he" knew me from college in New Orleans. After several curious emails, it became clear that it was her trying to develop another secretive line of communication with me. That was about a month ago.

Okay, so last contact was just a month ago. Importsnt piece of data.

Quote
BTW, I have already cut back on my roles in several organizations and plan to step back further as quickly as possible.

That is HUGE. I chaired every major board from the planning board on down. As a politicsl consultant, I won the last few elections. My friends were up for reelection in November, and I was "retired". I threw the time in and we won.

Now, life is different. I cook dinners. help with the kids, focus on family. WW really appreciates it.

When I go to town events she comes with me. She is young and beautiful, and gets swamped with attention, from state senators and assemblymen, so it is a fun experience for her. But my focus now is on the homefront. These hours are hugely importsnt.

Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,510
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,510
Originally Posted by GreenMile
My posts are not directed at her. As I said, there is nothing that I post that she and I do not say to each other in person.

Nah.

This should be her sanctum to get advice independent of your interference.

I think you should leve, and she shoukd have a keylogger on to make sure you aren't eavesdropping.

Sorry....but she needs this community more than you, and you need to break the pattern of mnanipulating control over her...

Mike_C2 #2195611 01/19/09 01:31 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,316
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,316
I don't agree Mike...Helping GM is also helping his wife...Mr. W and I both feel that this place was a Godsend for our marriage...

Mrs. W


FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

Joined: May 2008
Posts: 1,153
I
iam Offline
Member
Member
I Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 1,153


**edit**

Last edited by Revera; 01/19/09 10:01 AM. Reason: personal attack
Mike_C2 #2195628 01/19/09 09:20 AM
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,146
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,146
Originally Posted by Mike_C2
Originally Posted by GreenMile
My posts are not directed at her. As I said, there is nothing that I post that she and I do not say to each other in person.

Nah.

This should be her sanctum to get advice independent of your interference.

I think you should leve, and she shoukd have a keylogger on to make sure you aren't eavesdropping.

Sorry....but she needs this community more than you, and you need to break the pattern of mnanipulating control over her...


Mike, if he is so much like you, why in the world would you want to chase him off the boards. Please stop trying to chase him away, YOU are helping him! That's what the MB forum is all about. Getting out of your own fogged self pity and offering constructive advise that in the end helps your own marriage to become better too.

Telling GM to leave is nonsense, this board works well with both spouses here at the same time. We are not here for BS's only, we are here for MARRIAGES and the restoration of them.

It is actually BETTER to have them both here.

They have a BETTER chance to recover if they are BOTH here learning.

Carry on!





Recovery began 10/07;

Meeting my wife's EN's is my "thank you" that refuses to be silenced.
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 372
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 372
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Originally Posted by GreenMile
[ Even today, I revealed a few things that I had been withholding out of fear that it would be a deal breaker, and maybe it was. It has set her back to the very beginning. I cannot hide or lie about anything to her ever again and expect this program to work or to heal and build a real marriage. I am just terrified, but I will do this. Again, sorry to everyone here for my prior posts. I am just a deeply flawed human being, and I don't want to be that anymore.

GM, that is good that you gave her more information. Can I suggest you get anything else out there NOW so she deals with one hit instead of several? Everytime something new comes out it puts her back to day 1 of recovery as you can see. You will both die a death of a thousand cuts if it comes out in dribs and drabs. Better to suck it up and get it all out there in one HIT and get it over with.

Even if you think it will kill her, spill it out NOW and get it over with. In Dr. Harley's words:

"Radical honesty is so important in marriage that there is a much greater risk of divorce when a couple is not radically honest, than there is when a couple reveals very hurtful information to each other."

I do understand what is happening to you. You have been lying for so many years that honesty does not feel natural to you so it is a matter of retraining your moral compass. You have trained your instincts to lie to protect yourself from the consequences. Honesty is very hard at first, but I applaud you for getting it out there. You are on the right track, GM!

Thank You, Melody. You are very kind. I am wracking my brain at this point to try to remember anything I have forgotten. The problem is that it is such a long term affair, it is hard to remember everything that transpired. No purposeful holding back of anything anymore, but I am fearful that I have forgotten something that will come out. The things yesterday came out during a detailed timeline and re-creation of it that we did yesterday that was so painful. That helped jog my memory, including a few things I had dishonestly omitted before, such as the number of times I did this or that with OW. Some of it is suppression of the A in my mind, because I just want it gone and out of our lives forever, even though I know it will be there painfully forever. Radical honesty is my absolute goal now as I am learning, but I fear errors of omission now. You are absolutely right about the habit of lying. I have been protecting myself from consequences by lying since I was a child. It was the standard operating procedure in our home when I grew up, and I became quite expert at it.

BTW, do you know how I can get email notification of new replies here on the forum? I have set it up in preferences and watch lists carefully and saved it several times, but I am receiving nothing. My wife gets her emails from the forum, but I am getting zilch.


FWH, age 63. 24 years of narcissistic behavior, infidelity, and emotional abandonment of my BS, age 57, DancesWithGoats (DWG). D-day two years ago, leading to emotional breakdown. Been working MB program and toward spiritual transformation and personal growth since then, with some slow but real progress. DWG still with no trust, but with grief starting to subside a bit.
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,539
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,539
It should be one of the settings under "my stuff" at the top of the forum.


Faith

me: FWW/BS 52 H: FWH/BS 49
DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 372
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 372
Originally Posted by tst
Originally Posted by Mike_C2
Originally Posted by GreenMile
My posts are not directed at her. As I said, there is nothing that I post that she and I do not say to each other in person.

Nah.

This should be her sanctum to get advice independent of your interference.

I think you should leve, and she shoukd have a keylogger on to make sure you aren't eavesdropping.

Sorry....but she needs this community more than you, and you need to break the pattern of mnanipulating control over her...


Mike, if he is so much like you, why in the world would you want to chase him off the boards. Please stop trying to chase him away, YOU are helping him! That's what the MB forum is all about. Getting out of your own fogged self pity and offering constructive advise that in the end helps your own marriage to become better too.

Telling GM to leave is nonsense, this board works well with both spouses here at the same time. We are not here for BS's only, we are here for MARRIAGES and the restoration of them.

It is actually BETTER to have them both here.

They have a BETTER chance to recover if they are BOTH here learning.

Carry on!

Thank you so much, tst. I respect Mike and would have considered leaving on his advice, but your reply helps me even more. We REALLY want this to work and do this together. Our emotional and spiritual lives and futures depend on it. We are making an appointment for phone consult right now and have received a response from Lori. We are getting a horse sitter, so that we can attend the weekend in March. I will be writing a draft of a NC letter for my wife to approve and edit today. We are getting an attorney appt. to draw up a post-nup. We are getting cell phones that support chaperone-child tracking by GPS today. My wife is making an appointment for polygraph. If we don't succeed with this, it won't be from lack of sincerity or trying.

I am so grateful for the kind help and advice we have received on this forum, it makes me get a little teary, not the least of which is your help.


FWH, age 63. 24 years of narcissistic behavior, infidelity, and emotional abandonment of my BS, age 57, DancesWithGoats (DWG). D-day two years ago, leading to emotional breakdown. Been working MB program and toward spiritual transformation and personal growth since then, with some slow but real progress. DWG still with no trust, but with grief starting to subside a bit.
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 372
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 372
My Stuff is where I have been trying to set the preferences and watch lists correctly, but it doesn't seem to be working for some reason. I have been on other kinds of forums in the past, and this has happened periodically. We use satellite internet and a router. I wonder if the router IP address is being identified by this forum server, and the MB server is rejecting two email addresses from the same IP address. Just a theory. It isn't a big deal, but I would like to receive email notification of new posts and advice from my watch lists.


FWH, age 63. 24 years of narcissistic behavior, infidelity, and emotional abandonment of my BS, age 57, DancesWithGoats (DWG). D-day two years ago, leading to emotional breakdown. Been working MB program and toward spiritual transformation and personal growth since then, with some slow but real progress. DWG still with no trust, but with grief starting to subside a bit.
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,539
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,539
Email one of the moderators, they can assist you. I am glad you are sticking around, GM. This place is a gift from God.


Faith

me: FWW/BS 52 H: FWH/BS 49
DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 920
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 920
For email notification, click on add this thread to my watched threads list when you make your post. Then go to "mystuff" at the top of any page to my watch lists. Click on watched topics. Then click on edit watched topics. From there you can select email notification for the thread.


Moderator
Revera01@aol.com
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,583
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,583
tst coming here and posting was one of my requirements of him before I would even consider reconciliation. I knew that the people here understood the dynamics of affairs and would recognize fog babble better than any IRL counselor, pastor or friend. I knew that the people here had the best chance of reaching through the fog. And several of the people here are in RECOVERED marriages and could lead him through the path of recovery along with the MB professionals.

If you are posting honestly, reading with an open heart, and following through with actions off the board, you have a much better chance at helping your wife heal from the trauma you have perpetrated upon her.

If you are not staying off your wife's thread, it will show up on several people's fog/bull radars.



Happily married to HerPapaBear



Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,510
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,510

well, I strongly disagree. First off, it should be sadsosad's call whether GM continues to use the board.

For him to say he will post here and not look at her thread is patented bullsss.

Maybe deep into recovery a couple could benefit from being together here. Right now, there is still very much an adversarial post D-day situation, and GM seeing SSS's thoughts and strategic advice is unfair. It is what an attorney would call "free discovery".

She has said she has no friends she can share with. This should be her sanctum where she can vent and received unternished advice without her wayward looking over her shoulder and reacting accordingly, which GM would do to an unprecedented degree from what I see of his personality and past controlling dynamic with SSS.

I think he followed her here to continue his controlling pattern, and his posts are less heartfelt than emotional gaming on his devastated BW.

If I were SSS, I'd ask him to get off the board and put a keylogger on the make sure he doesn't return.

I'd also delete my threads after they had served their usefulness.


Mike_C2 #2195739 01/19/09 11:31 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,539
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,539
GM, put your BW on your ignore list. The temptation to read her posts is going to be strong and considering your history of manipulation it is not a good idea to be reading what she posts.


Faith

me: FWW/BS 52 H: FWH/BS 49
DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 144 guests, and 151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Countfunkula, mollye14, Pansu, sakyt, George Mixflicke
72,372 Registered Users
Latest Posts
Separated/Dating
by mark_foster - 09/20/26 04:14 PM
Separation
by elambush - 09/04/26 11:24 PM
beverage sizes in large office
by elambush - 09/04/26 11:22 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,659
Posts2,323,616
Members72,372
Most Online9,682
May 13th, 2026
deneme bonusu
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2025, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0