Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18
Umm, funny but I meant that I am 6'4" tall and he is about 5'8".

I think if the other interpretation were true we could all conclude that she cheated for her own safety.

Last edited by 6yearsleft; 04/19/09 12:47 PM.

Me 42 BS
Wife 41 FWW (exwife now)
Divorced 10/14/2008
S 21
D 18
D 16
S, S 13 (twins)
Grandson 8 months
G
G
Roo,
Your Dday was a little over a month ago. As a BS I can tell you I wanted nothing to do with my FWH the first two months after DDay. The Road has it right - it's your choice but how far and how long are you willing to go - that will say a lot about how serious you are about R. Sorry - I'm having bad recovery day and I'm not being nice!

6yearsleft,
What do you mean diapers - are you back with son and grandson or are you taking care of baby? You can respond on your Baby thread -not to TJ here.

GG

GG

D-Day #1 Aug/2007.
D-Day #2 1/27/12
Legally Separated
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Vittoria
Originally Posted by RooGirl7
You know what else is messed up? There are other threads on this very board where the BS is posting, a man, and being told that his marriage is fairly new and he is young so cut your losses. Why is no one telling me to cut my losses??

If we're all here, studying the Marriage Builders concepts, why is no one telling me these things? RooGirl, your marriage is young (just over six years) and you are young (nearly 32) - cut your losses.

Is it because I am the WS?
Good question.

In all fairness, the same could be posted to you, except for the fact that you are here and wanting to rebuild your M. You are here looking to learn how to do that.

MB can't make anyone stay M, MB can only give us the tools to help us rebuild. We have to do the work, and how much we put into it, is up to us, BS or WS.

You sound frustrated RooGirl.

Do the best Plan A that you are capable of doing. Do it without expecting anything in return from BH.

Use this time to dissect yourself, recognize your faults, change your thinking and become a better you. Whether a BS or WS, this is part of committing to a M.

The goal is to not only be a better spouse, but a better person ... despite the outcome of the A.

Definitely a bit frustrated but I can't dwell on that. I did this and I have to do everything I can to fix what I can.

Thanks so much for posting, V. I think your observations are spot-on and appreciate them very much.

Me/WS 32
H 32
M 6 years, together 12
D-Day 3/8/09
R
OP Offline
R
d
Originally Posted by Looking4
Originally Posted by RooGirl7
It feels a little lonely in here. I watch the "viewed" count go up and up and up and... no one posts.
FWIW, Roo... I read you everytime I'm on MB yet don't always post. As you're well aware, I'm in a process here and feel the experts -- the recovered FWWs and BHs -- can offer more than I can as far as helping you make progress. But you are always among my must-reads when I'm here.

Know that unfortunately, there are many who have walked this horribly difficult road before you, or who like me, are walking it with you. Know at any time, you can just put out your hand. I will take it as I am right beside you, and we will get through this. As long as we are being the best people we can be, as long as we are doing everything we can to help our H's heal, as long as we are sticking to our EPs, and as long as we are being radically honest, we have a chance. As long as you want that chance, keep it going -- keep working and keep practicing patience. If you don't want that chance, you'll get no judgements from me. It's for you to decide.

You only need to decide.

You're still in my prayers, and still among my must-reads. Take care, Roo.

-L4

Thanks so much L4. Thank you... Hope you have a good time in Vegas!

Me/WS 32
H 32
M 6 years, together 12
D-Day 3/8/09
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by TheRoad
When their are no kids and the marriage has been short, the BS is young. It is most often the best to plan D.

Your a WW. You chose to cheat. You now chose to recover. As a WW you can do all that is needed to recover your marriage. Transparent, answer all questions.

Your BH had no control of your choices. You have no control of his. BH may not want to or can not recover from your affair.

You can only chose to put in the effort, without any regards to success. Recovery can take two to five years. If you can't put in the time without any guarantee for success then you can plan D, sit back and do nothing and wait for BH to plan D.

I don't remember and your post is to long to read. Did you confess to your BH?

Hi TheRoad,

I did confess to my H a little over a month ago.

I certainly do NOT want to sit back and wait for him to D me. At this point he's communicating with me (albeit sporadically) and I'm doing my best to not expect a dang thing.

With this work stuff in San Francisco and downtime in the evening I'm going to see if I can brainstorm a list of things I can do for my H even though we're not living together and have the stinky work schedules. I hope to be able to work on them tonight/tomorrow night and post Wednesday perhaps.

Me/WS 32
H 32
M 6 years, together 12
D-Day 3/8/09
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by 6yearsleft
Hi Roo,

I've been one of those lurkers on your thread. I was wondering if you are back home yet? I don't think so but I may have missed something.

Nope, not home. My H had a negative reaction when I brought it up so I've tabled it for now. Maybe at the two months past D-day mark I'll bring it up again. Or would that still be too soon, you think>

I usually like to try to put myself in the BH shoes and then tell what I would be thinking. Can you tell me a little about your BH? You mentioned that he had been cheated on before. Also that he did not catch you but you confessed?

I'm not sure what type of information you're looking for about him. He's a very quiet person when you first meet him, very laid back. Very, very laid back. Not emotional (something I've struggled with) and has a hard time with my emotions. He was cheated on by a girl he dated right after HS. They dated off and on maybe a year and a half and she slept with his best friend. It's interesting...when he talks of this he says that he expected it of the girl friend but not of his best friend. And yes, I confessed.

When I read that three things quickly pop into my head

1) How will he ever trust you again? You have proven yourself to be an olympic level deceiver.

2) Why did you tell if it was over? Not only did you cheat but then you just get to dump it all on the H and get rid of that burden as well. (I know it is not MB, and not my situation but I do feel that when I read these accounts)

3) Childish man thing (along the womans line of "was she prettier"). You know was he "better" or bigger was that the reason. For these purposes taller also would hurt. I was so glad the OM is more than 6 inches shorter than me.

I'll keep reading between diapers and bottles.

Gabe

I don't know if he'll ever trust me again. He says that he trusts people instantly but that he's never learned how to give it back when people have lost it. He doesn't know how to do that.

As for why did I tell him: we were talking about us working on our marriage and I knew that he couldn't make that kind of decision without having all of the facts. It would have been as heartless and cruel as the A if he were to say, "yes, RooGirl, come home, let's work on this" only for me to say, "oh, by the way..." He says I did the right thing telling and I feel that I did the right thing. It hurts alot..a different hurt from when I was being deceitful. But I'm being honest now and doing my best to take life down a better path, whether or not he decides to walk that path with me.

He has only asked one question like "bigger?" and it was a question that I was more than happy to answer.

Me/WS 32
H 32
M 6 years, together 12
D-Day 3/8/09
R
OP Offline
R
I've sent a couple of text messages to my H since I've been here and he hasn't replied. Tried calling just now and no answer. Oh well. I want him to know what I'm up to. Perhaps today I'll send him a picture text. smile

Thank you all for your support and for taking time to both read and post your opinions/advice. It's always good to hear another perspective.

Me/WS 32
H 32
M 6 years, together 12
D-Day 3/8/09
L
L
Hi, Roo.

How about you you send him a postcard from San Francisco? It would show you're thinking of him more than just as an after-thought as it requires a little more effort than a text. Plus, I think hand-writing is more personal -- it's a part of you he can see that an email and text can't provide.

Consider buying him something from there as well. Some Ghiradelli (sp?) chocolate or a Golden Gate ornament. If he has a sense of humor, perhaps a cheesy magnet that he could put on his fridge or silly coffee cup or snow globe -- things he might see every day that would make him think of you. If he's more sophisticated perhaps a set of wine glasses from the water front or a great bottle of Napa wine. Get something you can bring back then say, "I got a little something for you. Can I stop by tomorrow and bring it to you?"

Have fun while you're there. Stop in to Pier 23 for me would ya?

Me (FWW): 45
BH: 46
M: 11/94
PA: 2/08 (4 mos)
Confessed: 10/08
DS10
DD8
Roo,

I have something for you to think on, maybe it will help you come up with a plan. If you were your H's mother or someone who only cared about what is best for him. What would you advise him to do and why? What would you say his cheating wife needed to do for him to take her back?

As a father, I would tell him to cut his losses. There are no children, the marriage was relatively short and his w had already moved out and cheated on him. What would he say if his own father gave him that advice?

Me 42 BS
Wife 41 FWW (exwife now)
Divorced 10/14/2008
S 21
D 18
D 16
S, S 13 (twins)
Grandson 8 months
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Looking4
Hi, Roo.

How about you you send him a postcard from San Francisco? It would show you're thinking of him more than just as an after-thought as it requires a little more effort than a text. Plus, I think hand-writing is more personal -- it's a part of you he can see that an email and text can't provide.

Consider buying him something from there as well. Some Ghiradelli (sp?) chocolate or a Golden Gate ornament. If he has a sense of humor, perhaps a cheesy magnet that he could put on his fridge or silly coffee cup or snow globe -- things he might see every day that would make him think of you. If he's more sophisticated perhaps a set of wine glasses from the water front or a great bottle of Napa wine. Get something you can bring back then say, "I got a little something for you. Can I stop by tomorrow and bring it to you?"

Have fun while you're there. Stop in to Pier 23 for me would ya?

Great ideas, L4 - I'm going to do just that! Perfect!!

Me/WS 32
H 32
M 6 years, together 12
D-Day 3/8/09
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by 6yearsleft
Roo,

I have something for you to think on, maybe it will help you come up with a plan. If you were your H's mother or someone who only cared about what is best for him. What would you advise him to do and why? What would you say his cheating wife needed to do for him to take her back?

This is something for me to think on for sure...

As a father, I would tell him to cut his losses. There are no children, the marriage was relatively short and his w had already moved out and cheated on him. What would he say if his own father gave him that advice?

And this is hard to hear. The marriage may be relatively short but we've been together since we were 19 and 20 - what feels like our entire lives. frown

Me/WS 32
H 32
M 6 years, together 12
D-Day 3/8/09
R
OP Offline
R
Stolen from Rusty's thread, posted by Mr. Wondering. I want to keep it here so I have it to refer to. I would like to suggest these things to my H.

Rusty,

Your wife's love bank for you was low which made her vulnerable pre-affair...

Then...

In order to justify and rationalize her affair she drained all the remaining love bank for you completely out.

She's home likely because it's the right thing to do and/or the affair ended (sorry...I'm not going back to read).

Sure she's depressed...she's home and has little to no love for you.

I went through this. It took many months of patience and baby steps. If you are journaling at all you should notice a trend of two steps forward...one step back for quite some time. There will be short periods of breakthroughs and when you least expect it FOG rolls in.

One thing to explain to her is that the MB method is predicated upon the fact that feelings will follow action. You explain that you understand she doesn't have a lot of feelings for you right now (and frankly, you aren't in total love with her either) but TRYING is the right thing to do and if you both commit to it for a year (performing loving actions and abstaining from love busters) you'll find yourselves in love a year from now.

In the beginning I suggest a couple things.

1. Get His Needs..Her Needs the CD Audio version. Take a road trip and listen to it together. Pause and discuss at will. The car is the best place to do this as there is little non-verbal communication, you're both stuck and there are no distractions.

2. Commit to going out this summer and having a good time. If you two were/are partiers, party it up. Cut her (and yourself) a break on the serious conversations as it's too early to really make a ton of progress. You'll also be avoiding some pretty hurtful conversations by avoiding them because she will say some hurtful things she really doesn't mean...she's just foggy. Somehow fit it in that this COULD be your last summer married to each other and you want to SEIZE IT. Either way...you don't want to look back at this summer and regret not enjoying it together. You also want to take the opportunity to REALLY get to know her as you've felt like an outsider to her inner thoughts for a long time ("Honey...if we might divorce, I, at least want to know the really you before it happens"). This will build intimacy without her really knowing that's what you are doing. Remember...because she's depressed she's not likely to be running around making plans...so YOU must make them and make her go.

Trust me...the FEELINGS will follow the ACTIONS.

Mr. Wondering

Me/WS 32
H 32
M 6 years, together 12
D-Day 3/8/09
Roo,

I would not make these suggestions to your H at this point. From his perspective: you cheated, then you left, then you got dumped or broke up, now you want to come home, oh and you also want him to make lots of changes so you won't do it again.

He probably does need to learn from this experience but take it slow.

On my other posts, I know you have been together for a long time, but with no children and such a severe betrayal I would still tell him to cut his losses. I'll make you a deal. Try to change my mind and I'll tell you what I am thinking. After all you don't lose anything if you make me mad or insult me (which is hard to do anyway).

I know it might seem strange that I'm always trying to help the repentant WW's but I wish my WW had tried so I'm supportive of those who are trying.

Me 42 BS
Wife 41 FWW (exwife now)
Divorced 10/14/2008
S 21
D 18
D 16
S, S 13 (twins)
Grandson 8 months
R
OP Offline
R
Gosh, I start to feel like maybe I have a plan of action and then hear that nope, don't do that. Well, Six, what do you suggest I do then? I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm just confused. I

f I don't ask him to take a drive with me and listen to HNHN, if I don't tell him that I am committed to trying to make this summer the best summer we've had, then what.do.I.DO???

Talk is cheap and that's what I feel like I'm limited to because I moved out - we have opposite work schedules. What can I DO to show him that I am willing to give this 150% of my attention and focus?

And for the record, I've asked him this question and he says, "I don't know."

Me/WS 32
H 32
M 6 years, together 12
D-Day 3/8/09
M
M
Roo...here's my companion post. I haven't been following your situation in awhile (glad you exposed yourself) so I don't know if you should use it or not. Regardless if you show him or not...you should likely be trying to move him towards a plan IF he chooses to try to recover.

From Rusty's thread:

I want to add one thing..

I'd lay this out as a PLAN. (without a plan you are simply wasting time, walking on eggshells and treading water)

Because there ARE issues that need addressing...in time. You don't want to ever give the impression that the affair is bygones and/or being swept under the rug. You don't want to be in a position at the end of summer wherein you begin to address matters and she thought you were over it already.

Also...you WILL end up having deep conversations and these should not be avoided. Even conflict need not be avoided for through conflict intimacy is achieved. However, you do so utilizing the MB principles regarding conflict and practice constructive conflict techniques WITHOUT LOVE BUSTERS.

Also...during this period you need to focus on changing YOURSELF. Whether you actually recover or not...YOU can become a better person using the MB techniques so you are not wasting your efforts at all. When YOU change...your spouse will likely follow.

In the end...YOU don't change your spouse...THEY change themselves because they want to be with you. There is always that underlying threat that if they don't change...you'll move on. You retain that right for some time. I would never suggest you stay with a foggy spouse forever....just for now, work on YOUR betrayed fog and see what happens.

Maybe you just ask him if he'll take a roadtrip with you. Then get the CD and see if you can get him to listen to it with you. Cordinate a "plan" then over the course of the roadtrip weekend.

Mr. Wondering

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
R
OP Offline
R
Thank you for posting that - I was just about to copy it over. Good idea to suggest a road-trip weekend. Better than harassing him with all of this information. And he would feel harassed.

"IF he chooses to recover."

I'm really working on being patient. Patience, patience, patience.

How long, if you don't mind my asking, did you take to decide, Mr. Wondering?

Last edited by RooGirl7; 04/20/09 05:22 PM. Reason: added part about the road trip

Me/WS 32
H 32
M 6 years, together 12
D-Day 3/8/09
O
O
Hi RG,

I have also been following your story. I was wondering if your H. was very upset when you decided to move out? I didn't see anything about him asking you not to or doing anything for you to come back? Were you two so disconnected from eachother that he didn't catch onto the A? Didn't he ever stop by or wonder what you were up to? I am just wondering if that was the state of your relationship or am I confused?

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by oceanspray
Hi RG,

I have also been following your story. I was wondering if your H. was very upset when you decided to move out? I didn't see anything about him asking you not to or doing anything for you to come back? Were you two so disconnected from eachother that he didn't catch onto the A? Didn't he ever stop by or wonder what you were up to? I am just wondering if that was the state of your relationship or am I confused?

I first talked to him about moving out in September of '08. He said that he didn't want me to go and we had a very heated discussion and LB'd (know that I know the term) the heck out of each other. He told me that I couldn't afford it and that I should move in with my mom instead. He did buy me flowers once, late September or early October. Once I moved out (November 7th I think?) he didn't contact me at all, nor did I contact him. He was very, "she's gone, she got what she wants, there's nothing I can do."

We were/are withdrawn from each other. If he suspected a thing he didn't ask me about it.

Me/WS 32
H 32
M 6 years, together 12
D-Day 3/8/09
How about suggesting the road trip and just making it about fun? How about talking about the changes you are making without asking him to change?

You are never going to get there if you are expecting him to bear half the load. He has already had to deal with way more than half of the pain.

Gabe

Me 42 BS
Wife 41 FWW (exwife now)
Divorced 10/14/2008
S 21
D 18
D 16
S, S 13 (twins)
Grandson 8 months
B
B
Hi Roo - longtime lurker. I just didn't have much to say because the others were saying it well enough to suit me.

For the record, I'm another one of those who would tell your BH to divorce and cut his losses. But, you're the one who's here, not him, and to be honest I really don't know what to suggest to you...another reason that I just lurk.

I will ask though, is there any way you guys can get on the same work schedule? Being on opposite work schedules will make it extremely challenging to get your 15+ hours a week together. Do you work days and him nights, or vice versa?

Me - 44
DW - 39
Married 16 years
DS10
DS6
DD4
Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 126 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
peppa, RP4280, Philip Pitre, ClarencePeterson, ColsDawg
71,872 Registered Users
Latest Posts
Children
by BrainHurts - 09/28/24 06:19 PM
Spying on Wife's phone without getting caught?
by ClarencePeterson - 09/22/24 08:59 PM
Depression
by ClarencePeterson - 09/22/24 11:19 AM
Separated/Dating
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 08:58 PM
Child activities
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 08:56 PM
Loss of libido/Sexual Attraction
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 06:10 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,608
Posts2,323,426
Members71,872
Most Online3,185
Jan 27th, 2020
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2024, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation