Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
N
N
Mel, I'm glad to hear that there is hope for recovery from domestic violence. I had never heard such a story before.

Growing up in a house that was broken up by my father's infidelity, I know firsthand how badly children are effected, and I had previously referred to Jennifer's article, Infidelity: The Lessons Children Learn, because she describes it really well. I do understand that not every marriage recovers from adultery, either.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
N
N
Ok I am FINALLY getting around to finishing making my point on friday....(sorry it took me awhile, but I had to be a RESPONSIBLE mom when DD15 and a couple of her friends tried to pull a fast one on me..... sigh...teenagers!!!!!)

Here's what I was talking about.....

Alcohol, Abuse, and Infidelity

It's not uncommon for a woman married to an abusive alcoholic to try to escape by having an affair. There are reasons why this approach to abuse seems appropriate at the time. An abused woman is often financially dependent on her husband, and could not easily support herself and her children during a separation. So she looks for another man, usually much older, to provide that support while she transitions out of her marriage. In almost all cases, she ends up jumping from the frying pan into the fire. The abusive husband becomes even more dangerous, and the other man usually ends up dumping the frightened woman and her children. As the writer of this letter notes, the man she turned to "turned out to be a jerk."

This is taken from Dr. Harley's Newsletter released on Sept. 2....which there WAS a thread on but got lost in the "Vortex-of-the-Unknown" during the shut down.....

Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Bullcrap. Women play the abuse card all the time in order to justify affairs. And it is almost always a LIE. Rarely is it true

I'm not sure what you are calling "bullcrap" on. Dr. H's OWN words are printed above....he says himself "it is not UNCOMMON". That right there is directly opposite of what you state. You say it is RARELY true, Dr. H says its not UNCOMMON.....so which is it???

not2fun

E
E
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
Zelmo, this finding is the opposite of what I read in Dr. H's article Why Women Leave Men. In that article, men who start using POJA restore their marriage.

Not true, how do you POJA with someone who has left and is in an affair? Remember, these women not only have left, but most of them are in affairs.

You can't POJA with someone in an affair. Because if you could, they would just end the affair since it's not mutually agreed upon by both the husband and the wife.

So I think it's pretty naive to think the POJA is the solution here. The problem is the wife has closed her love bank to her husbands deposits, and opened it to another man.

So tell me, how do you POJA that?

You can't.

Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
ML, I understand that adultery can be harder than domestic violence on the BS as a person. But if you look at the whole family, Dr. H recommends leaving for a year in cases of domestic violence, whereas in infidelity there is a clear way home presented in Plan B that doesn't have that year requirement. Also recidivism is very high in domestic violence, where hopefully using MB's idea of extraordinary precautions, the marriage can recover from infidelity with no slips back into it. I think it's sad but true that while folks can recover from infidelity together, and have a better marriage than they ever had, that in cases of domestic violence, there is no such thing as recovering a great marriage. At best you get a life of looking over your shoulder for the rest of your life. I know women whose dread doesn't ease even after their abuser has passed away.

But since adultery is abuse, wouldn't the same sort of requirement apply? If a woman betrays her husband, she is indeed committing an act of emotional violence against her husband.

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with your interpretation of what Dr H has said here.

If the wife never ends the affair, the POJA is useless.

M
M
Originally Posted by not2fun
I'm not sure what you are calling "bullcrap" on. Dr. H's OWN words are printed above....he says himself "it is not UNCOMMON". That right there is directly opposite of what you state. You say it is RARELY true, Dr. H says its not UNCOMMON.....so which is it???

not2fun

not2fun, he said "It's not uncommon for a woman married to an abusive alcoholic to try to escape by having an affair." Alcoholics are less than 10% of the general population. WHERE does he say it is not uncommon for a woman to LIE about abuse in order justify adultery? That article does not support your point.

First off, a very small minority of affairs we see here are married to alcoholics, and usually it is the ALCOHOLIC who is committing adultery.

This quote does not negate what we see here all the time, that wayward wives LIE about being abused all the time. To deny that is to deny reality. 40% of women cheat; a very small percentage are in violent marriages.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

E
E
Originally Posted by not2fun
Ok I am FINALLY getting around to finishing making my point on friday....(sorry it took me awhile, but I had to be a RESPONSIBLE mom when DD15 and a couple of her friends tried to pull a fast one on me..... sigh...teenagers!!!!!)

Here's what I was talking about.....

Alcohol, Abuse, and Infidelity

It's not uncommon for a woman married to an abusive alcoholic to try to escape by having an affair. There are reasons why this approach to abuse seems appropriate at the time. An abused woman is often financially dependent on her husband, and could not easily support herself and her children during a separation. So she looks for another man, usually much older, to provide that support while she transitions out of her marriage. In almost all cases, she ends up jumping from the frying pan into the fire. The abusive husband becomes even more dangerous, and the other man usually ends up dumping the frightened woman and her children. As the writer of this letter notes, the man she turned to "turned out to be a jerk."

This is taken from Dr. Harley's Newsletter released on Sept. 2....which there WAS a thread on but got lost in the "Vortex-of-the-Unknown" during the shut down.....

Bullcrap. Women play the abuse card all the time in order to justify affairs. And it is almost always a LIE. Rarely is it true

not2fun

So what Dr H is saying is that her picker is bad. She chooses yet another jerk, another abusive man.

Can't blame all of that on the "abusive" husband.

Of course, she is painted as the victim, instead of the co-abuser in the mutually abusive relationship.

If she cheats, she is a co-conspirator in an abusive relationship and loses victim status, period.

Furthermore, if she chooses to cheat, I doubt she was ever a victim, but as I said, one who is a co-combatant in such a relationship.

If she wasn't abusive herself, she wouldn't chose abusive means to deal with the issue.

Her choice to have an affair is proof she is abusive, period.

M
M
not2fun, have you read this:

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
"Alcoholics commonly engage in their most painful habits while under the influence. Acts of infidelity are common. The fact that he or she is drunk at the time is no consolation to a grief-stricken spouse."
here

I have been here for 8 years and only know of TWO situations with a WW where there was actual abuse [one of which is in this newsletter!] but I can point to numerous cases where it was a LIE. I can point to several cases where the alcoholic is the wayward. [OurHouse is one]

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

E
E
Dr Harley also says there is NEVER a justification for an affair, ever.

The situation may explain WHY someone chooses that. But he is very clear to say there is NEVER justification for an affair.

So what does it matters. Affairs are abusive, regardless the reasons someone chooses them.

Unless you want to say abuse is justified.

M
M
Originally Posted by Enlightened_Ex
Of course, she is painted as the victim, instead of the co-abuser in the mutually abusive relationship.

If she cheats, she is a co-conspirator in an abusive relationship and loses victim status, period.

Absolutely. Being "abused" is no excuse to abuse others.

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
You will hear Joyce and I repeat, "there are reasons but no excuses." One of the reasons for an affair is that emotional needs are not being adequately met in marriage, which makes an affair that meets those needs more tempting. But the same thing can be said of some who rob banks. They may be out of work, need money to pay the rent, ask for a loan but are refused by the bank, which makes robbing it more tempting. One reason for the robbery is that the bank refused the loan, but it wasn't the bank's fault that it was robbed. On hindsight, a bank might have helped the robber get the help he needed through social services, but the bank is under no obligation to do so, even though they advertise that it is a "caring bank."

An affair is different from robbing banks in that a couple have promised to be more caring than banks. But the principle is the same. The lack of care by one spouse does not excuse harmful behavior by the other spouse. Even when one spouse absolutely refuses to be affectionate, or to make love, or to talk intimately, or to join in recreational activities with the other spouse, it gives them no right to have those needs met by someone else of the opposite sex in an affair. They have the right to separate until the other spouse meets those needs, or even divorce when it becomes obvious that there will be absolutely no cooperation (there are many who strongly disagree with me on that point). But an affair is so cruel and so painful that nothing any one spouse does (including having an affair themselves) can justify the suffering that an affair causes.

Making a disgraceful act more tempting by someone is no excuse for that person committing the disgraceful act. Besides, in most marriages, there are times when emotional needs are not being met for reasons beyond anyone's control. That's why I recommend extraordinary precautions to help spouses avoid an affair. They are to not allow anyone of the opposite sex to meet their need for affection, or intimate conversation, or recreational companionship, or sexual fulfillment. When those needs are met, they deposit so many love units that you are likely to fall in love with that person, and make you hurt your spouse in the worst way possible. I hope that explanation helps.

Exposure 101

R
R
Add me to the list of BS's whose WH's OW were 'abused and beat' by their H's.

(though oddly, OW and her estranged H are still 'friends' talking regularly on the phone...huh?)

So, my H decided to abuse me by the cruelty of independant, dishonest behaviour and cheating on me. For years.

I am still working the plan but...what WH has done is doing really isn't very kind. LOL. Not really.

M
M
reading, have you verified the OW's claims that she is "abused?" WW's are liars so everything they say has to be scrutinized. Have you verified this with any relatives or checked to see if there is any record at the police station?

Not that it excuses adultery, but it is very typical for the "abuse" story to be a lie manufactured to pander pity.

Exposure 101

Z
Z
I just think, intuititively, that many of us know that the claims of abuse by a cheating wife are not true.
In most cases, there are claims of neglect or failure to meet emotional needs. But, I think it is often true that the cheater him or herself has been the more negligent in that regard.
In my work, I often see folks that have done something wrong fabricate stories to justify their behavior. In divorces,all types of BS claims are made, as well, including false allegations of child sexual abuse.
The problem with defending oneself against these types of false allegations, the claims of verbal, emotional or physical abuse, is that the more one voices his or her denials, the more credence is often given to the claims.
One is, essentially defenseless against these claims and they are claims made by someone with a very strong motivation to lie and make things look like the BS's fault.
Again, with the incidence of physical and emotional abuse being just as prevalent against men, why do we not see more WHs laying claim to abuse as the justifuication for their cheating?

R
R
reading, have you verified the OW's claims that she is "abused?" WW's are liars so everything they say has to be scrutinized. Have you verified this with any relatives or checked to see if there is any record at the police station?

Not that it excuses adultery, but it is very typical for the "abuse" story to be a lie manufactured to pander pity.

At this point, I don't even care if the claims are true or not. It doesn't excuse the actions of the adulterers.
The estranged H says they had an explosive relationship and they both are hot tempered people who like to throw objects when angry.

But. Moot point. Not an excuse and certainly my WH has been emotionally abusive to me during the A. A couple times almost getting physical but containing himself. frown

E
E
That's the point. It matters little if the claims are true or not. At least not until the unfaithful spouse comes to grip with the fact that their actions are just as abusive and never justified.

But it seems we want to make excuses for bad behavior, and then wonder why society is going to hell in a handbasket.

Z
Z
Oh, but it does seem to matter to others that the WS is claiming abuse as the reason for cheating.
That movie "Waitress" comes to mind, where the BH was, essentially, a caricature of an abusive spouse. This made the cheating wife the heroine, and audiences were incredibly sympathetic to her actions in cheating(interestingly, the unfaithful Dr. did not come off all that bad , either, despite his incredible sthical violations and the fact that he had a devoted, nice wife that he was cheating on.)
That movie made me sick as i think it enforces the belief that WWs are driven to cheat by monstrous ogres. And, I know for a fact that this is how my NPDW has portrayed me.

P
P
Originally Posted by Zelmo
Oh, but it does seem to matter to others that the WS is claiming abuse as the reason for cheating.
That movie "Waitress" comes to mind, where the BH was, essentially, a caricature of an abusive spouse. This made the cheating wife the heroine, and audiences were incredibly sympathetic to her actions in cheating(interestingly, the unfaithful Dr. did not come off all that bad , either, despite his incredible sthical violations and the fact that he had a devoted, nice wife that he was cheating on.)
That movie made me sick as i think it enforces the belief that WWs are driven to cheat by monstrous ogres. And, I know for a fact that this is how my NPDW has portrayed me.

My exWW played the victim card to a "T". As soon as she asked for a divorce, she told everyone how I've always been abusive, controlling, never let her do what she wants, always yelling at her, etc, etc, etc. Fortunately for me, all of our close familiy on both of our sides called BS on her being a victim. After being married for 10 years, no one had ever witnessed what she claimed I did. They did witness her on MANY occasions doing to me what she claimed I did.

Where things went bad for her is when she started playing the victim card to her aquaintences. They listened to her, told her she needs to protect herself, she needs to do what makes her happy. When her family would hit her with 2 x 4's for her poor choices, these "friends" would validate her actions.

Society often makes the WW as a victim of a controlling, abusive husband. I'm sure this is not true in almost all cases! If you are TRULY affraid of a controlling, abusive husband, why would you do the one thing that would ENSURE your danger? Common sense says having an affair is the worst thing one can do to get out of a controlling, abusive situation.

WW's feel they are being abused when a BH says no and puts up boundaries whether emotional, physical, or financial to protect himself from a wayward. It was quite clear with my WW in her court filings against me that she was trying to play the abuse card to get a very favorable divorce settlement. When my attorney called her bluff and made her produce evidence of abuse, she flipped out and filed a complaint with the bar assocation that my attorney was abusive to her on the witness stand!

Me BH 49 WXW 50
Married 1998
DS 2002
DD 2005
D Day 1 7/28/08
D Day 2 8/19/08

Divorce Final 3/19/2009
Z
Z
I bet many BHs whose WWs decide to just leave face this type of scenario. Thae above post was almost exactly what happened to me, including the WW's family supporting me and calling bs on any of her justifications.
I was way more fortunate than mnay WH's whose in-laws buy into the misinformation. The fact that I was always welcome in my in-laws home and continued to socialize with them, coupled with my kids' devotion for me undermined the smear campaign.
But, many men are not so fortunate and are labeled abusive, controlling , emotionally negigent or whatever.
As I keep mentioning, since it is pretty well established that females abuse males just as frequently in marriages, if abuse was really the motivtor for cheating we should see a fair number of men using it as justification. We simply do not see this. And, realyy, in this day and age, there is not a stigma for a man claiming abuse. It is so well established that female on male abuse is prevalent, the credibility thing is not much of an issue anymore.

N
N
Zelmo,

you threw a new one out there. So what the heck is a "NPDW"???.... think

and do they listen to NKOTB???!...... dance2

not2fun

Z
Z
NPDW-Narcissitic Personality Disordered Wife. See this acronym a lot on the sites that offer support for those involved with the disordered.Not sure what the acronym you mention means. But, if it involves listening, probably not, as she only liked listening to the sound of her own voice(when she was not giving someone the silent treatment, of course puke)

N
N
Thanks..... You're gonna have to all those the meaning of all those letters in your siggy if you keep throwing us new ones.... grin

As for mine, google it

Not2fun

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 198 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation