Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2276293 11/19/09 09:42 AM
I
OP Offline
I
So Dear Abby is not condoning adultery.
Today's Dear Abby is about a woman who is sleeping with her best friend's husband. Well, the best friend died recently, and the woman is "separated from an emotionally abusive husband." So it's ok to sleep together right?
Right. According to Abby.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ucda/20091119/lf_ucda/guiltmarscomfortcouplefindsineachothersarms
Who knows if this woman is rewriting her marital history or not? Fact is, she's still completely married. Abby calls them consenting adults.
Maybe a letter writing campaign to set her straight?

Me:BW, FWH 1DD 1DS
C
C
I agree. Another one we get in our local paper is 'Ask Amy'.

She has also had several columns in which she was very wishy-washy about adultery. I'd like to start a letter writing campaign to her too. I'm going to do both right now.

Z
Z
The now deceased old bat,was an idiot. So is her kid, apparently.

C
C
Sent my letter

I
OP Offline
I
Clay-
Yes, Ask Amy (a Chicago Trib columnist) got a cease and desist from Dear Margo because she was calling herself the Ann Landers of the new era. The told her she better STFU. But yeah, where do these columnists get off normalizing adultery?

M
M
Good grief....

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

G
G
Dear Abby? Ann Landers? Ask Amy? ... The culture has been trivializing adultery & belittling marriage for so long... it's all about advertising bucks.

More letters to those syndicated columnists enable them to tell newspaper editors that their columns are garnering more reader attention, which is what editors want to hear because it's what their advertisers want to hear. So I wouldn't waste a letter to anyone, unless it's a letter to the editor of your local paper, cancelling your subscription.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
I
OP Offline
I
There's a link at the bottom of the story to send Abby a letter. I clicked it. Took exactly three minutes to dash off a "what the hale were you thinkin'" letter. We should all do it...maybe she'll retract.

I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by GloveOil
Dear Abby? Ann Landers? Ask Amy? ... The culture has been trivializing adultery & belittling marriage for so long... it's all about advertising bucks.

More letters to those syndicated columnists enable them to tell newspaper editors that their columns are garnering more reader attention, which is what editors want to hear because it's what their advertisers want to hear. So I wouldn't waste a letter to anyone, unless it's a letter to the editor of your local paper, cancelling your subscription.
I read all my stuff online. They don't make a dime off me. And my reply was through the linky online. I'd rather make a vocal statement. If I cancel my non-existent subcription, I"m not going to accomplish anything.

G
G
Awright, ima, yer right. I just read the column, and had to reach for my vomitoon. puke

So I just wrote her a letter, tore her a new one...

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
I
OP Offline
I
Glove, aw, but there's such a mean old abusive husband in her life... Doesn't she deserve some happiness? While her husband thinks she's "comforting a friend," they're comforting alright! Now the husband might not be God's gift, but one thing I know for sure: The wife is a cheater and the OM is willing to cheat on his wife's best friend's husband.
I'll bet the dead wife wouldn't be so happy with this arrangement either.
BUT THEY'RE CONSENTING ADULTS, abby says.
Affair partners world wide are now taking comfort in this column. GAG.

D
D
>BUT THEY'RE CONSENTING ADULTS, abby says

Boy she sounds just like the head cases on TOW.

I never had to take the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

O'hana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.

My Story

Recovered!
M
M
Originally Posted by GloveOil

Dear Abby/Ann has generally been pretty good about taking her 2x4s when she gets called on a poor response. I think we need to flood her email with some WTF letters.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

T
T
I'm 61 years old. That would mean I've been reading Dear Abby for about 50 years, mother AND daughter. They have ALWAYS recommended no exposure, mind your own business, the spouse probably knows already anyway, etc.

This is not "Dear Abby now". This is Dear Abby still.

tl

I
OP Offline
I
Thndr,
Maybe it's time we try to call the beeotch on it. They need to stop spewing wayward support. You know, I'll bet someone on TOW site has already posted her letter today as a means of support for all the wayward hoes.
Sad, very sad. Everyone, please send her an email from the link at the bottom. She really needs to hear it.
And if you have a facebook page, link it and tell all your friends to do the same. It's time we made a public stand for fidelity and started to let the "look the other way" crowd realize that we won't support this crap anymore.

K
K
I'll think I'll go check out TOW and see if they have. I check the site out for laughs all the time.

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
I
OP Offline
I
Me too. It's sickening though, so it has to be taken in very small doses.

W
W
I sent Miss Abby an email. grumble

She didn't say whether there were children, ages, etc

She didn't describe "separated" - separated in the same house, in different houses, or simply in her mind?

Does her husband know that she thinks (if she does) that he is emotionally abusive?

What steps has she taken to address this?

Was she called on TAKING ADVANTAGE of her deceased "friend's" spouse when he is vulnerable?

Grrrr! Don't get me started! rant2

R
R
Just browsing. Wasn't going to read the link. And then I did.

Oh boy. I emailed that silly wench too. Called her on condoning infidelity and suggested the woman divorce her vile, foul, emotionally abusive husband (which of course would include divorcing her current lifestyle), THEN sleep with whomever she likes. Or maybe just take an honest look in the mirror to see how she's been abusing HIM, fix that...and watch her marriage improve.

Wayward mindset. Probably a waste of time, but like you guys, hadda do it.

Me BS 61
Him FWS 63
Married 40 years
D-Day 6/30/06
Still can't believe it.
6/08 Recovering nicely. Anything is possible!
M
M
Originally Posted by rightherewaiting
Just browsing. Wasn't going to read the link. And then I did.

Oh boy. I emailed that silly wench too. Called her on condoning infidelity and suggested the woman divorce her vile, foul, emotionally abusive husband (which of course would include divorcing her current lifestyle), THEN sleep with whomever she likes. Or maybe just take an honest look in the mirror to see how she's been abusing HIM, fix that...and watch her marriage improve.

Wayward mindset. Probably a waste of time, but like you guys, hadda do it.

I'm at work and left my paper at home. Anyone got the email so I can fire off a letter before I leave my office?

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 115 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Sourdine, Abela Laye, Ardent Center, Lost@1969, Jmoor9090
71,845 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation