Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
H
H
Originally Posted by atena
wow Hope, you work with both o them? Am I understanding this correctly?
How can you do that. I work with H, but hardly see him since we work in different buildings, but I could not imagine seeing OW and H together at work.
Yes, every outsider looks at our Hs and thinks: what in the world are they thinking?
It is so obvious they are making a huge mistake, losing everything and most of all their integrity. But Hs do not see it. They just feel entitled, they feel it is their right.
And your H...going with a serial cheater, an obvious w**re! And still in denial, just like mine. He does not tell anyone at work that we are separated!
This is just madness! They really do not care about anything. They just want to avoid giving any explanations.
My H told his sister that it is his own business what he does in his life and that co-workers or me or friends are not entitled to know or care!
So there you have it!
blessing

Yes we all work for the same company. Granted we work in different buildings but we do have interactions beccause of our jobs. At the beginning of this I was scared to tell anyone but then I found MB and it gave me courage. I can't tell you how many people who still don't know.

Last week I ran into someone I hadn't seen in awhile and he mentions that he has not seen XH for about a month and how is he doing. Before I would have mumbled something unintelligible and ran away. I looked him directly in the eye and said "XH walked out on his family last year for PP and D me. You need to ask PP since he has been living with her since June. He was floored. I did nothing wrong and held my head high.

It has to be difficult for you also working in the same place. Hate it.

Me 55, XWH 53, M 22 years
D17, D30
alien replaces my husband "I'm not happy" -7/08
Discover OW-8/08 (his direct report and I work there also)
H moves out 10/1/08, confront Ow 10/28/08
Plan B 1/09
D final 12/09

Quote: "First thing you do is pray; when there is nothing else to do, continue to pray."
A
atena Offline OP
OP Offline
A
It is! People ask me about him all the time since he leaves early from work and they do need him to do stuff. He is really smart and knows his stuff, but he is gone before you know it to be with her. So now I tell people: oh, we are separated. He has been having an A with downstair neighbor for 18 months. I found out 4 months ago. He now lives on his own and sees her regularly.

The problem is what follows. People at that point usually say: Oh, this must be so hard for you...you must be so angry....how do you cope with this?
And I think this is where I became too vulnerable....I never know what to say.
I also become resentuful, he is having the A, he is not telling anyone so he does not have to put up with questions...and here I am having to answer them all!!
Any suggestions?
blessing

atena
Q
Q
An addict -- no matter to what they're addicted -- is not a pretty sight.

If you aren't addicted to anything, you CAN'T understand this statement.

If you ARE, just like I am, then you can.

When I was in the addiction, I can TELL you from EXPERIENCE I didn't care about ANYONE or ANYTHING, certainly NOT a CONSEQUENCE.

The power of addiction isn't FAKE, it's absolutely real.

BS 52, FWH 53, Married 1-1-84
D-day 5-14-07, WH moved in with OW
Plan A 9 months, DARK Plan B 3-17-08 until 3-2-09
WH and OW broke up 1-09
Started over 7-09
F
F
The problem is what follows. People at that point usually say: Oh, this must be so hard for you...you must be so angry....how do you cope with this?
I also become resentuful, he is having the A, he is not telling anyone so he does not have to put up with questions...and here I am having to answer them all!!
Any suggestions?
blessing
I had a similar experience last night. At a meeting, the wife of one of the regulars (they attend as a couple) asked me, "where's S_____?" Not knowing she didn't know, I simply replied, "I guess she's with her boy friend." The shocked look on her face told me this was news to her.

So, I apologized for shocking her, telling her that I thought she already knew. After the meeting, she and her H spoke with me and allowed me to tell them the story. They were more than supportive, even offering to invite me over for the holidays! I thanked them, but told them I was OK, and that I already had plans.

Here's the pitch: I'm alright! Sure, I tell people this is the most painful thing I've ever experienced. But I'm not the one who broke my vows. I'm not the one who violated my commitments. I'm not the one who turned my back on family, neighbors and friends. No, I'm alright. Thank you, very much.

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi
H
H
Originally Posted by Fred_in_VA
Will it last? I wait for the karma bus and the explosion. He gave up everything for a cheap plastic cheating ho who cheated on both of her x-husbands and her X-BF of 4 years to go "out" with XH.

I pray one day that when her true self comes out again that the fog will lift.

aetna, sorry to highjack your thread but want to answer Fred.

Hope, I pray you will take this in the spirit it is given, and not in the way it might read:

I take this in a good spirit of a fellow MBer who cares

The longer you remain centered in the emotional toilet of this horrible situation, the more you stand to become part of the unflushed mess. I know that it is still raw for you and that you must grieve and let it run its course, but I read in your words an intense sense of non-closure. Your signature says your D was final in October but you haven't yet signed the paperwork. What are you waiting for?

There were some issues/clarifications that had to be rectified after final mediation which took some time to work out between both attys. Would not sign on the dotted line till everything was spelled out (can't believe all the careless errors that end up in the decree. Read it line by line.

Your description of your XH would probably fit Webster's definition of "damaged." Why hold on to the memory of a person who is so badly wayward (and I don't mean that in the MB sense of the word) that redemption may never come?

XH has turned into an alien. I know this. I have read some hopeless threads where the waywards have come out of the fog and found their way home. Only God knows the plan for me and I have faith in Him (not XH) I also know that they have to hit rock bottom and I see that XH is starting to spiral down between his alcoholism, finances and losing all respect and position at work. For today I am willing to fight the good fight for this M even though I stand alone.

Please do yourself a favor: Grieve, yes. But also realize that you are alive -- you have SURVIVED -- and are now a better person for it. Your XH is fallen. And he may never get up.

I have grieved, I have cried a million tears, I have gone through every emotion. I have come a long way from the beginning of this nightmare. I have picked myself, faced this every day at my job, taken care of my daughter as a single mother, joined a gym, lost almost 50 pounds and not only survived but thriving. Yes, there are times that I get down and deprssed such as during these holidays and I also know it is ok to be sad. I will pick myself back up and keep going. What is closure -- I don't know. I chose not to date because I feel like a M single. I have friends, I have family, I have God. That is enough for now.
[/quote]

Last edited by hope3343; 12/18/09 04:11 PM.

D17, D30
Plan B 1/09
D final 12/09

Quote: "First thing you do is pray; when there is nothing else to do, continue to pray."
H
H
It is! People ask me about him all the time since he leaves early from work and they do need him to do stuff. He is really smart and knows his stuff, but he is gone before you know it to be with her. So now I tell people: oh, we are separated. He has been having an A with downstair neighbor for 18 months. I found out 4 months ago. He now lives on his own and sees her regularly.

Any suggestions?
blessing

aetna pray Before this A, XH was a work-aholic and had goals for the direction he was going in his position. After the A started, he changed completely...stopped bringing work home or PC. Missed more days of work this past year then he has in the last 5 years, leaves early. It is like he just gave up on his life and drifting along.

How do you feel about your WH? Do you still love him? Do you still want to restore the M? Be honest. I just say that this was XH choice and I never wanted this. I say that I love the old H, not what he has turned into. We had 22 years together and those years do not just disappear. You would be surprised how people will respect the truth.

I have talked to many women that told me that when their spouses cheated they ran out and got a D. Many have regrets and said pride got in the way.

Only we can say when it is over. It is our final decision not theirs.

D17, D30
Plan B 1/09
D final 12/09

A
atena Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you Fred. You gave me a good idea. Next time someone asks I will say: He is with his girlfriend. Because that is the truth.
There is this particular co-worker who, every time she sees me, she hugs me and uses a pitiful voice saying: oh, I know how hard it is (her H cheated on her and now they are in R after 6 years of him having moved out) so let me know if you need help!
She means somewhat well, but she is loud and draws the attention of everyone around....that is soooo embarrassing.
This whole separation has put me thru the washer and dryer cycle! i had enough!
Again if you have any more suggestions on how to handle people reactions...they are more that welcome!
blessing

Last edited by atena; 12/18/09 04:14 PM.

atena
A
atena Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hope,
The truth is that I still love my H and that after 20 years of M I am not ready to give up easily. I gave myself till October 2010 to wait for him to see if he has a change of heart. After that I will move on. Till then I will not give him a D.
I live in a country where it takes 3 years to D AFTER a full year or so of legal separation. So it will take him a total of 4 years to obtain a D.
That is if I am in agreement. If I am not... and I am not...then it will take him even longer.
My H, like yours, was a dedicated father and worker. About 2 years ago he started skipping work, leaving earlier and earlier and now he is at the point where he no longer cares about anyone or anything exept OW.
I know there is something wrong with him and out of respect and love for our M vows I am willing to put up with this for better or for worse. Of course I am protecting myself by abiding to a strict plan B.
You must feel deep inside that your H will return to sanity at some point...otherwise you would have given up...
blessing

Last edited by atena; 12/18/09 04:21 PM.

atena
H
H
Hope,
The truth is that I still love my H and that after 20 years of M I am not ready to give up easily. I gave myself till October 2010 to wait for him to see if he has a change of heart. After that I will move on. Till then I will not give him a D.
I live in a country where it takes 3 years to D AFTER a full year or so of legal separation. So it will take him a total of 4 years to obtain a D.
That is if I am in agreement. If I am not... and I am not...then it will take him even longer.
My H, like yours, was a dedicated father and worker. About 2 years ago he started skipping work, leaving earlier and earlier and now he is at the point where he no longer cares about anyone or anything exept OW.
I know there is something wrong with him and out of respect and love for our M vows I am willing to put up with this for better or for worse. Of course I am protecting myself by abiding to a strict plan B.
You must feel deep inside that your H will return to sanity at some point...otherwise you would have given up...
blessing

I know some MBers do not believe in MLC but I believe my XH is the poster child for that. He was having work issues on a major project and turning 50. Everything started to unravel.

I do not have a date when I will be ready to throw in the towel. Right now I believe this is where I am supposed to be. We moved across the country 3.5 years ago after living in my hometown all of my life. 2 years later XH walks out and D16 and myself do no have any family here. Not sure where I belong but D16 still has another 1.5 of school so that decision will be made then.

It is difficult to stay in Plan B because of the work environment. In January I am running an all day meeting that both XH and PP must attend. Hopefully they will call in sick. I will make some goals and boundaries for myself that day.

I believe that XH will come home one day. This is the only place that I can state this without people judging me. Looking at the statistics on this site and the type of person PP is she will show her true self. I have heard from many coworkers how badly she treated her X-BF of 4 years in public and the heavy drinking by both of them will take its toll.

Does this mean that I am hanging around putting my life on hold? No -- work on yourself, try and challenge yourself. If XH showed up on my doorstep tomorrow I would not be ready for him to come home. I have my own goals and changes I need to do for myself. I am rebuilding my own self confidence and self esteem and work on being a Goddess.

Wish I lived in a country where it takes up to 4 years for a D. In my state you can be divorced in as little as 30 days with no waiting period. Too easy.

D17, D30
Plan B 1/09
D final 12/09

A
atena Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Yes, we have that thank to the Pope, it used to be 5 years, then the catholics had to give in to what reality was. We did not have divorce till 1970.
That said (I am not catholic)I just think some people have traumas from the past that they never dealt with and that re-surface with a vengeance in midlife.
Those traumas coupled with aging = mid life crisis and they lead to an A.
My H was abandoned by his un-married and young parent as an infant. He was told that his dad demanded his mom to have an abortion...but she did not and resorted to an alternative solution...
To this day this episode in his life still hunts him...plus he is 50 and knows that his youth is gone and that he will be good looking only for a handful of years till old age sets in....
I love my h and have compassion for him...but I still do not get why he does not go into IC.
I wish I could help him, but I really can't. So I totally cut any contact with him to keep my sanity.
OW will help him.
blessing

atena
H
H
Yes, we have that thank to the Pope, it used to be 5 years, then the catholics had to give in to what reality was. We did not have divorce till 1970.

Ok I have a good idea where you are from, and there is a thread somewhere here that some MBers connect from there. Look up Gabzz? She is a great lady.

That said (I am not catholic)I just think some people have traumas from the past that they never dealt with and that re-surface with a vengeance in midlife.
Those traumas coupled with aging = mid life crisis and they lead to an A.

I agree, they look at the cup 1/2 empty instead of 1/2 filled. Read somewhere that pessimists were 90% more likely to get into an A than opptimists. Reading this board that seems to hold true.

My H was abandoned by his un-married and young parent as an infant. He was told that his dad demanded his mom to have an abortion...but she did not and resorted to an alternative solution...
To this day this episode in his life still hunts him...plus he is 50 and knows that his youth is gone and that he will be good looking only for a handful of years till old age sets in....
I love my h and have compassion for him...but I still do not get why he does not go into IC.

Everyone goes through trials in their life but it still does not excuse them from having an A. My XH thought he was entitled. He deserved to be happy -- no matter who he hurt (Sad but he thought no one would be hurt). Your WH will not go to an IC because they feel that nothing is wrong with THEM. They blame it on everything except themselves. Their brain is so fogged that they literally cannot think straight.

I wish I could help him, but I really can't. So I totally cut any contact with him to keep my sanity.

And it will save your sanity. Plan A was too hard for me.

OW will help him.

No she will only destroy him but until he has that realization there is nothing we can do.

blessing

We are walking by Faith not by sight.
pray

Last edited by hope3343; 12/18/09 05:24 PM.

D17, D30
Plan B 1/09
D final 12/09

A
atena Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hope,
I will look up gabzzz thread.
Yes, nothing justifies the A, and Yes, my H has a huge sense of entitlement. He thinks he needs to be happy,that son is 19 and can take care of himself, that I am strong and smart and will get over this...his parents live far away and never really call and same for his siblings....so here you go. He has no clue of the damage.
OW..? I am not sure....if she is so destructive why indulge in her arms? maybe she will help in term of driving them to insanity where they finally have to face the one person they can't run away from or cheat on....themselves!
blessings

atena
C
C
Atena-

My xWH was the same way. He was willing to give up a 36 year marriage, his family including new grandchild, and our retirement savings to be with someone he picked up in a bar. OW has been D'd a few times, filed bankruptcy a few times, has a gambling problem which keeps her living in near poverty. My WH is the cash cow sent from heaven. Go figure. When the high wears off they got nothin.

BS - me 56
XWH - 57

12/25/06 - Dday - WH promised NC. Plan A in effect. Thought we were in recovery.

6-3-07 - Dday#2 Found out NC never took place and A never ended. Found MB NC promised again, but WH would not write NC letter.

9/07 - Dday #3. Still lying and sneaking around. Plan B implemented
WH wants nothing to do with me

Divorced as of 12/09 after 36 years
A
atena Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Really..I can't believe it...the more I read on this forum the more I see the reality of OP...the lowest, poorest choices possible. It is mind boggling. You H with a gambler, broke and multiple Ded person...who is only intersted in $$$.
What a mess, after 36 years of M!
Nothing is certain in life, nothing.
Bless

atena
F
F
Really..I can't believe it...the more I read on this forum the more I see the reality of OP...the lowest, poorest choices possible. It is mind boggling. You H with a gambler, broke and multiple Ded person...who is only intersted in $$$.
What a mess, after 36 years of M!
Nothing is certain in life, nothing.
Bless
It's been said here several times since I've come on board, that WS always "trade down." It's something to do with the idea that their new "love interest" validates their own sense of superiority, or something to that affect.

St. Francis of Assissi
A
atena Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Yes Fred, you are right. I am a university professor, speak 4 languages, have 3 university degrees and I am attractive.
OW has a high school diploma, is unemployed, is D and her 2 kids: one swears and say bad words the other is a little lolita and is very sexually forward. She is 15 years younger than H and has large breasts..and has a pacemaker.
I do not know what to think fred..I love my h....no matter what.
blessing

atena
F
F
Yes Fred, you are right. I am a university professor, speak 4 languages, have 3 university degrees and I am attractive.
OW has a high school diploma, is unemployed, is D and her 2 kids: one swears and say bad words the other is a little lolita and is very sexually forward. She is 15 years younger than H and has large breasts..and has a pacemaker.
I do not know what to think fred..I love my h....no matter what.
blessing
Wow, atena, you've got me by several degrees and several languages! smile

I have an MBA and speak two languages. I've lived in four continents and studied abroad. If OM has a college degree I'll be quite surprised. He does "shift work" at a tech company in the area. I've had several people tell me they think he looks like a "goof."

In all fairness, I'm not a prize in the looks department. But I'm in good shape, still have most of my hair (and only a bit of it is gray) and according to RealAge I'm 44 -- the same chronological age as OM.

And to complete the picture, WW is a small, 5'4" (suicide) blond, with shapely curves (not all natural) and is two years shy of a bachelors degree. At 48 and her career in shambles (she's seeking employment as a receptionist, I've heard), chances are she'll never get that degree.

Someone (Zelmo?) suggested to me that one of her "justifications" for having an A was her feeling of inadequacy when she compared her accomplishments to mine. I do recall several times when she would ask me to explain a word I had used, as I enjoy language and possess a voluminous vocabulary... smile

St. Francis of Assissi
A
atena Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Yes, Fred, my felt a little inferior even if I was very careful not to overdue it, but after all I am knowledgeable in my field but he still wanted to have the last word about it. H is also educated and has higher degrees, plus he is seriously good looking...so i do not know what got into him.
With her he feels like a king. He is a computer expert and she thought chips only came out of a bag and never knew computers had them...she is really thick...does not know what an email is but would text message my H saying: I want to make love to you....lets count all the stars in the sky.
he needs that sort of romantic stuff. Who doesn't?

atena
F
F
she is really thick...does not know what an email is but would text message my H saying: I want to make love to you....lets count all the stars in the sky.
he needs that sort of romantic stuff. Who doesn't?
The texts between my WW and OM were much cruder. At least the ones I saw. He also had her running errands for him ("bring me a coffee with extra shots when you come over...")

When your world gets turned upside down, they aren't kidding!

St. Francis of Assissi
A
atena Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Oh yes they had pretty low stuff in there especially the one referring to me not being home and she being free to come up and you know....
It is the way it is. It will last and then they will move to the next OP...

atena
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 597 guests, and 58 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation