Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 88 of 95 1 2 86 87 88 89 90 94 95
S
S
Originally Posted by lurioosi2
Listen, I am pretty much like some of my friends who used to smoke. They have less tolernace for smoking than anyone I know.
...When someone is having an affair and is unrepentant and is trying to gaslight everyone around them, etc. I have no patience for that. In fact, there have been times I have wanted to post to people in that state, but I couldn't think of any way to post that wouldn't have gone beyond blunt to the point of being....just angry.

I'm not sure what you mean here. It sounds like you are suggesting that I am less tolerant of people who have affairs because of tst's affair and that my post to L4 was just me being angry with her. dontknow I'm not sure...

But to clarify, I am MORE tolerant of affairs now. In my pre-a life, I would have suggested kicking every single wayward out the door no matter how repentant and committed there now were.

I hope I wasn't offensive.

I'm not offended even if that is what you meant because I choose not to be. (just trying to be a bit funny) wink

I remember praying every night that H would please stay so that I could make it up to me somehow (which I know can't really be done). We made it, and I guess I want everyone to be able to.

Lur, I know that you worked very hard to create a safe marriage for you BH to invest back into. I am challenging L4 to do the same because, at this point, I don't think she has yet accomplished that "safe" marriage for him. I think she wants to, but hasn't made the full fledged commitment with actions to back it up to work all of MB on her side.

Happily married to HerPapaBear

S
S
L4, I hope you are not feeling beat up. I do understand that you WANT to save your marriage.

I'm trying to point out why I think your efforts have availed you very little.

S
S
Just as not all BS's are blessed with a very repentant, committed, completely on-board, recovery-leading FWS like I was blessed with, neither are all FWS's blessed with a BS who is eager, hopeful, and fully committed to working a great recovery plan.

Many BS's deal with months of withdrawal before their spouse is even close to a place of CONSIDERING meeting ENs and avoiding LBs and having UA and POJAing.

What do those BS's do?

They Plan A and wait withdrawal out. They are abused by mean things their WS's say and do while they are drooling and missing and fantasizing about their AP.

Last edited by sexymamabear; 01/10/10 06:09 PM.

TJD #2302767 01/10/10 06:40 PM
S
S
Originally Posted by TJD
But, if you can stop and keep your emotions in check after a LB'er and reach out to the other to see there point of view and to understand why the LB'er occurred and that there LB'er may have been the result of your LB'er you can very often pull them back into very sensitive conversations.

clap

This is exactly the response I received from tst and it is exactly why I was drawn back into the marriage and willing to open my heart back up to him.

H
H
Originally Posted by serendipitous
Can I ask a question tst? Mr L4 refuses all help to recover his M but is willing to stay and go through the motions for now.

How long should L4 carry on like this? If L4 reads your comments and has a lightbulb moment about all that she has done wrong and does a sterling MB job of meeting needs, avoiding LB'ers etc, then how long should she do it before hoping to see some sort of committment from Mr L4?

I don't know Sere. If he hasn't filed for D, I would call him still in the M. (not being sarcastic) I guess I would also ask, how long is the vow L4 took when she got married?

What do you think is the minimum L4 should expect from her H at this point?

I would expect the minimum from him for a long time. While waiting, I would suggest she continue her journey becoming the best person she can mentally, physically and spiritually. smile

Recovery began 10/07;

Meeting my wife's EN's is my "thank you" that refuses to be silenced.
T
T
I didn't mean to imply that anyone is less tolerant at all. I was just talking about the way my brain works now. And I thought the funny was funny. I am glad people here can sometimes disagree and have to clarify but still respect each other. It isn't that way on every internet forum, that's for sure!

S
S
Originally Posted by tst
While waiting, I would suggest she continue her journey becoming the best person she can mentally, physically and spiritually. smile

The good thing about doing this is that whataver happens with the relationship, you win....

I hope you've had a good weekend L4.

Me - BW
FWH - BB -(PA Jul 08 - Aug 08)
D-Day - 8 Aug 2008
Recovering nicely

V
V
SMB, I used the term abusive.
Originally Posted by Vittoria
1)tst, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around SMB lovebusting in the abusive ways L4's H has been.

2)Would it not be best for both spouses, not just L4, to have some resolution to stopping an abusive cycle, whatever that may be, to preserve both LB$?

The abusive cycle that I see is this .... the L4's will have days, maybe even a week, almost 2 (correct me if I'm wrong L4 on the time frame) with calm, no blow ups, this will be followed by an episode of AO's which lend a hand to DJ's, ridicule, sarcasm and hurtful words. The way in which Mr. L4 lovebusts with AO's and DJ's is documented throughout this thread.

Originally Posted by Dr.H
When requests don't get what you want from your spouse, demands don't produce results, and disrespect doesn't work either, your instinct has one more controlling and abusive strategy up its sleeve -- angry outbursts.
I view demands and disrespect as a ramping up to anger. Taken together, they define the typical fight of most couples. All three illustrate abuse in marriage, and what a tragedy it is. Instead of protecting each other, spouses become the greatest source of each other's unhappiness -- and it's all instinctive. What I mean by that is that if you don't do something to stop it from happening, you will most certainly become victim of each other's abusive instincts.
This is from the first paragraph in the article on this site about AO's.(I bolded where he refers to the word abusive)

Originally Posted by Dr.H
I've consistently taken the position that angry outbursts not only destroys romantic love in marriage (it's a Love Buster), but it makes it impossible to find solutions to all marital problems. So it should not be tolerated. The one having the angry outburst is the only one who can do anything about it, so I usually recommend a separation if the one having the angry outbursts refuses to do what it takes to eliminate it. The only other reasonable alternative is divorce because it will cause a complete, and dangerous, breakdown of your relationship, and there's nothing you can do to stop it. It's up to him.
The reason I recommend separation until angry outbursts are eliminated is that it's more dangerous than most people realize. It's temporary insanity, where the angry person is capable of almost anything, including murder. Right now it's verbal, but it can become physical in an instant. You are not safe with him whenever he loses his temper, so separation makes sense.
Dr. Harley is clear about his concerns of AO's being a danger in M, whether it be physical, or emotional, it is a danger to destroying romantic love and marital breakdown.
Like IB says 'I don't care about you' (this from Mark and makes perfect sense), AO's go on to say 'and I don't even like/love you'.

Originally Posted by L4
V � I agree that H�s AOs are not only because of the A. They have been a part of H�s behavior for a very long time.
If I remember correctly, L4 has said that H's AO's and DJ's pre-date her marital A.
I think that this is one area that L4 struggles with, how to handle these types of lovebusters from H, without busting back, whether it be intentional or not.
smile

M'd 22 years
BW-me
D-Day 08/08 LTA

H
H
Originally Posted by tst
While waiting, I would suggest she continue her journey becoming the best person she can mentally, physically and spiritually. smile

The good thing about doing this is that whataver happens with the relationship, you win....

Amen!

Recovery began 10/07;

H
H
Originally Posted by Vittoria
If I remember correctly, L4 has said that H's AO's and DJ's pre-date her marital A.
I think that this is one area that L4 struggles with, how to handle these types of lovebusters from H, without busting back, whether it be intentional or not.

When we stop participating in the "Love Busting Fests" the dynamics will begin to change.

We MUST work our side of the marriage, after all, that's all we can control.

Side note; I had a great friend that used to always say, "AO's are like trying to drive a car using nothing but the horn". Always made me laugh...... But ahh, such simple visual logic.

Recovery began 10/07;

V
V
I can only speak from the point of view of a reader of L4's posts but I would say that L4's comments about her H'S FOO isues make me more sympathetic to his situation, not less.
Me too.
My thought was that in hearing of Mr.L4's FOO issues, and from others who had BTDT, that would help to guide L4 the best possible way, so as not to do more damage to Mr.L4.

Originally Posted by tst
When I was active in my affair, I had several friends that wanted to talk to me about what I was doing. These men were friends of our marriage. When they sat down with me to discuss my adultery, I made brief mentions of my wife�s FOO history. I asked them if they knew my wife was sexually molested as a child�. And then I paused to let them make any judgment they wanted about that fact. It was my attempt to distract them of course, but more importantly it was a HUGE DJ. Just the mere mention of sexual abuse portrayed her, in some way, as damaged goods.

Besides being a DJ, I wanted to portray myself in some way as a victim too. Poor tst had a spouse that was damaged goods, it�s no wonder he does what he does. What a typical con I was. I should have been smacked with a 2x4.
While I don't believe this was L4's intention in disclosing her H's FOO, and I don't ever recall her using her FOO as reason for her A, I understand what you are saying
here and I would have never thought of that sort of mindset.

To assume our spouses (or Mr. L4 in this case) motives is a lovebuster. I get it now. Thanks. smile

Originally Posted by Mark1952
Now L4, you might get a lot of stuff that looks like conflict when you post details of your life that you seem to think means that folks around here can't handle the reality of how you feel and interact...
Originally Posted by L4
So many here have this stuff down. I feel some days like I'm on the outside looking in. That my situation isn't like anyone elses and no matter how often or how much I post, I won't ever be able to paint a complete and objective enough picture to give y'all what you need to help me help H.
Gosh L4, this made me sad to read, I often feel like this stuff will take forever to learn, the more I learn, the more I think I don't know.
We will learn together, and we will grow together.
I honestly can't think of better people to learn from than those who have been posting here on MB.

hug smile

M'd 22 years
BW-me
D-Day 08/08 LTA

V
V
okay this is embarrassing ..... just got the horn thing ..... duh V!

M'd 22 years
BW-me
D-Day 08/08 LTA

B
B
Originally Posted by L4
So many here have this stuff down. I feel some days like I'm on the outside looking in. That my situation isn't like anyone elses and no matter how often or how much I post, I won't ever be able to paint a complete and objective enough picture to give y'all what you need to help me help H.

I think I have a decent view of that picture but the problem is Mr. L4 is his own man and what may work for others may not work for him. Your situation isn't so very different from others L4 but no matter what advice is given, Mr. L4 may not respond the way you hope. As a BW, I am sometimes torn on what to advise you because I'm sensitive to Mr. L4 as a BS but I see the "difficult" side of Mr. L4. DJ and/or projecting? Maybe...but I can be "difficult" myself. smile

The holidays can be a hard time for a BS....almost like rubbing salt in the wound. This may be why one minute H is talking D and then the next he wants to buy a house.. In 08, Dday was recent to Mr. L4 and he was likely still reeling from your confession. In 09, reality has set in and he is going through the first holiday just after the 1 yr mark....which is a typical time for a new wave of anger to strike. Turkey Day - New Years should be a fun time, but I do think Mr. L4 may be struggling with wanting to enjoy the holidays and getting back to some sort of normal and controlling his anger that wants to scream how you didn't give a flip about him or the children during your A so he doesn't give a flip now. The first Christmas after Dday I had a hard time accepting anything from H and the nicer he was the more pissed off I got. I'd get short, he'd get short...the LBing would ensue....well Merry Christmas! **sigh**

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
M
M
L4,

I hope you're at least reading as this plays out, otherwise it's gonna take you till Thursday to get caught up...

Mark

Q
Q
Originally Posted by Mark1952
L4,

I hope you're at least reading as this plays out, otherwise it's gonna take you till Thursday to get caught up...

Mark

rotflmao

BS 52, FWH 53, Married 1-1-84
D-day 5-14-07, WH moved in with OW
Plan A 9 months, DARK Plan B 3-17-08 until 3-2-09
WH and OW broke up 1-09
Started over 7-09
R
R
L4...do you think it would be helpful if you were given specific phrases to use in specific conversations with your H?

For example, what exactly should you say/do if your H says..."I'll never trust you again"..."I have no respect for you"..."Our marriage is about the kids and nothing more" type of stuff.

Or if he calls you names...what exactly should you say/do.

Or if you need to POJA something but your H wants it his way no questions asked. I know others have said POJA can work even if only one person is applying it but how do you do that? Especially if the other person only wants it his way without any compromise?

If your H has an AO or DJ, what specifically should you say/do that would be productive and in line with Plan A?

Do you think if some of the vets could give you specific words/actions to say/do during certain moments with your H, it would be helpful for you? I'm just thinking that if you have a plan prepared then you will act in a constructive way instead of re-act due to emotion which tends to be destructive.

What cha think?

M
M
Just something to consider about POJA...

POJA is introduced in the book Fall In Love Stay In Love and in the basic concepts and in the rest of Dr Harley's material under the heading of learning to negotiate.

The point of POJA is to negotiate fairly.

Please note that I did not say the purpose was to gain what we want.

POJA is not a tool to leverage a negotiation or to gain what we want from our spouse. It has two purposes as it relates to ourselves. 1) It prevents us from making Love Bank withdrawals by keeping us from engaging in Independent Behavior. 2) It is supposed to protect us from ourselves gibing away the farm when we are in intimacy. The second applies when we are operating with a full Love Bank. The first applies the rest of the time. But even when in intimacy this is a wrong application since we will enthusiastically agree to pretty much anything when we have a full Love Bank.

The reason this can work without his participation is simply because of the way it is stated. Look at what POJA says:
The Policy of Joint Agreement

Never do anything without an enthusiastic agreement
between you and your spouse

It applies to what YOU will do and not what HE/SHE will do. It isn't supposed to ensure that we get what we want only that we not get what we want at our spouse's expense. It isn't a method of controlling our spouse but a way to control our own selfishness.

And I already know the question...

Q: So how do I get what I want?
A: NOT by manipulating my spouse nor by Independent Behavior that withdraws from my spouse's Love Bank by gaining at his/her expense.

THAT is what POJA is supposed to stop...

So the affirmative answer to the question is then...

A: By using respectful negotiations.

Under POJA:

I want A and you want B. POJA requires that we find C not that either of us convinces the other of our POV.

If I want A and only A will make me happy, then I can't be using POJA. Likewise, if only B will satisfy you then POJA cannot be applied. But from MY POV, if I want A and you do not want A, I might be able to show you how we can find C that you are willing to allow enthusiastically.

It doesn't help me when you are trying to convince me of what you want, but I can demonstrate the idea enough to show that it is valid and try to bring it up at that point.

Additionally, if I am not engaging in IB and depleting your LB$, I stand a better chance of you actually being open to negotiations when I want something as opposed to just doing what I want and thereby gaining at your expense which is ALWAYS a Love Buster.

We don't fail to negotiate fairly because our spouse isn't fair in negotiations. We fail to negotiate fairly because it doesn't always get us what we want. We resort to doing whatever we want so that we can do whatever we want, not because our spouse won't agree with us.

POJA keeps US in check not our spouse.

POJA then comes into play if we actually reach Intimacy since then we will want to make our spouse happy even if it makes us unhappy. Then we use POJA to keep us safe from our own stupid reaction to being in love with our spouse.

But if we can both be in Intimacy at the same time, then we will both want to be making each other happy and our biggest problem will revert back to taking at our spouse's expense.

As for finding the right way to say something to get the point across without love busting...That is the 64000 dollar question right there.

I can see the way it works now. Mr L4 says something that stings. L4 tries to tell him that what he said hurt. He pushes the next button and shows that he understands that it hurt her but that was his intent. She tries again, a different tack and he again escalates. Soon, he is shouting and pushing her buttons and so she shouts back...

Now BOTH are love busting and both Love Banks are taking hits and neither one is happy and finally the disengagement takes place.

So now we have a conversation about how to get MR L4 on board with not Love Busting all the time and how to get him to heal if he doesn't want to and what a boundary is and is not...

So when Mr L4 says something that stings...

How about saying, "Ouch!" and disengaging THEN.

Stops the hurt though doesn't prevent the initial hit. It does however prevent further withdrawals from either Love Bank.

Suppose he follows into the other room and keeps ranting...

Figure out how to withdraw from that situation before it happens. (Like work on that NOW and not in the heat of battle.)

Suppose he won't stop...

Well, if you aren't there for him to show his anger to, at least his anger isn't hurting you.

He got to vent, you took minimal hits on your Love Bank and YOU didn't deplete his Love Bank by retaliating.

The goal becomes limiting damage rather than causing equal damage. Mutually assured destruction might be a way to prevent nuclear war when both sides can destroy the whole planet alone, but it doesn't do much for preventing an argument. But remember that it was a threat of destruction that kept things in check. Neither side really wanted to end the world...

Mark

Q
Q
Mark, any chance you and your wife would come to Seattle for a MB weekend or workshop?

You have such an amazing understanding.

BS 52, FWH 53, Married 1-1-84
D-day 5-14-07, WH moved in with OW
Plan A 9 months, DARK Plan B 3-17-08 until 3-2-09
WH and OW broke up 1-09
Started over 7-09
M
M
How about attending a MB weekend and getting it right from Dr Harley himself?

And just so you know, it's easier to explain than it is to do... doh2

Maybe better said, "Them that can DO. Them that can't..."

Well, we teach is what we do...

banghead

R
R
That sounds great Mark...regarding POJA...but how can you negotiate with a person who doesn't care about option C and will not budge from option B...his option? What does the spouse trying to POJA do then? Put it on hold? And what to do when a decision does have to be made and the option B spouse still will not budge?

As for the AO, DJ, and LB...I like the idea of saying "ouch" and disengaging but how does one disengage? Just walk away? Or should she explain why she is walking away first?

Page 88 of 95 1 2 86 87 88 89 90 94 95

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
3 members (anchorwatch, bb1471, 1 invisible), 654 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation