Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
M
When marital therapy targets global marital dissatisfaction or communication and problem-solving complaints, treated clients do significantly better than controls. Shadish et al. (1995) did not find significant differences when marital therapy was applied to major affective disorders, problems in coping with medical illness, divorce problems, and sexual dysfunction. However, they caution that the number of studies addressing these latter problems was so small prior to 1988 that it would be premature to draw any conclusions from their meta-analysis.
An intriguing confound that predicted outcome in their regression analysis was whether treatment was standardized with a manual. Their analysis suggests that treatment standardization may greatly improve outcome.
Conjoint marital therapy and depression. To begin testing this hypothesis, Prince and Jacobson(1995) reviewed the three most recent and methodologically sound studies comparing marital therapy and individual therapy for distressed couples in which the women were diagnosed as suffering with unipolar depression. O'Leary and Beach (1990) found that behavioral marital therapy (BMT) and individual cognitive therapy (ICT) produced comparable and significant improvement in depressive symptoms at termination and at 1-year follow-up. Only BMT reduced marital distress at both points. Jacobson, Dobson, Fruzzetti, Schmaling, and Salusky (1991) found that for nondistressed couples, ICT and combined BMT-ICT were more effective than BMT in reducing depression. With distressed couples, BMT and ICT were equally effective for depression, but BMT was superior for marital distress.

Prince and Jacobson (1995) conclude that outpatient marital therapy appears to be as effective as accepted individual treatments for depressed women in distressed marriages. Additionally, it appears to be more effective in alleviating marital distress. However, in terms of clinical significance, even with these improvements, fewer than half of the couples in BMT were nondistressed and undepressed at termination. "Thus, although the primary advantage of marital therapy for depression appears to lie in its capacity to resolve both depressive symptoms and marital distress, there is room for improvement in ... both problem areas" (1995, p. 391). Because it targets both depression and marital distress, Prince and Jacobson consider conjoint marital treatment more cost effective than individual treatment for depressed women in distressed marriages.
The available data did not support Prince and Jacobson's (1995) hypothesis that conjoint treatment would reduce relapse rates more than individual therapy.
MFT for Marital Conflict and Divorce

Recent statistics indicate that more than one half of the couples that marry will separate and divorce. Both marital conflict and divorce have a variety of negative effects on the physical and mental health of children and adults (Bray & Hetherington, 1993). Over the last 15 years, a considerable body of research has accumulated on the effectiveness of marital therapy for marital conflict and, more recently, for the prevention of divorce.
However, in regard to clinical significance, Bray and Jouriles (1995) echo Jacobson and Addis (1993) and Shadish et al. (1993, 1995) in noting that substantially fewer than 50% of the couples in marital therapy become undistressed after therapy. Most change, but not sufficiently to be nonsymptomatic. When long-term effects are factored in, the picture becomes even more discouraging. Jacobson, Schmaling, and Holtzworth-Munroe (1987) found a relapse rate of close to 30% among recovered couples 2 years after the termination of BMT, and Snyder, Wills, and Grady-Fletcher (1991) found a 38% divorce rate 4 years after termination of BMT.

Bray and Jouriles (1995) take a somewhat more optimistic position about longer term outcome. Of the Jacobson et al. (1987) data, they report that only 9% of the couples that received a complete BMT package separated or divorced, whereas 45% of those who received a component of BMT separated or divorced. They also cite the Snyder et al. (1991) finding that only 3% of the couples in their insight-oriented condition had divorced or separated 4 years posttherapy. Thus, complete BMT and insight-oriented marital therapy in two separate studies prevented divorce better than competing treatments. It is important to remember that the Bray and Jouriles argument for long-term effectiveness relates to marital stability and the prevention of divorce, not the reduction of marital conflict. The data at this point do not support the long-term effectiveness of marital therapy to reduce marital conflict.
Jacobson and Addis (1993), in their review of the literature, argue along with Snyder, Mangrum, and Wills (1993) that the couples that tend to do best in marital therapy are those who are least distressed, younger, less emotionally disengaged, and less polarized with respect to gender role preferences. Also, as mentioned above in regard to affective disorders, the severity of depression in a spouse diminishes the efficacy of marital therapy.

Lastly, there is confusion within the marital therapy outcome literature about the extent to which particular studies deal with marital conflict versus marital distress. At times, certain researchers use these terms interchangeably, which undoubtedly clouds research results. It is imperative for marital therapy researchers to distinguish marital distress from marital conflict and to find more reliable and effective ways to measure types and quantities of conflict.

MFT = Marital and Family Therapy
BMT = Behavioral Modification Therapy

All of the above is from the article cited by Zelmo.

And this is why citing individual studies would not help a whole lot of people decide on what to do to save their marriage. Show of hands...

Who understood all of that as it applies to the ongoing debate?

And this is just an article that compares STUDIES and not actual performance of any particular form of MFT or BMT.

Mark

_
_

I believe that Dr. Harley has found something real and that the reality is backed up by biological science. I have delved into the actual brain chemistry that associates with love, affairs and recovery as best I can without a degree in biology and chemistry.

I dunno if Harley has read any studies on brain chemistry. I do know that a psychologist in Idaho has and that he has in the past read the posts here. Out of respect for Dr. Harley, I am not going to mention the other guy's name. From what I can see, the other guy uses a variant of Dr. Harley's methods and has for years and years based on his own findings. I think he is retired now but his web site is still working.

In an exchange of emails with the other guy, I learned that he was very much convinced that brain chemistry was the foundation for what we are talking about here. And that he had nothing but respect for Dr. Harley. Like me smile

I have found a teaching biologist who discusses the chicken soup of phenylethylamine, oxytocin and other chemicals that influence infatuation and love. His name is Robert Friar. Do a web search and read. I tried to do a writeup on him and a therapist by the name of Crenshaw and bogged down.

I am positive there are others.

And the conclusions of what chemical studies are out there are lock step with Dr. Harley. One of the keys is the 15 hours of association during the week and another is satisfying the needs of the partner as defined.

So if you are a rare bird like me and want to know the exacting scientific basis for Dr. Harley's teachings, it is out there to be read.

Larry

E
E
Originally Posted by ElCamino72
Originally Posted by Zelmo
I don't buy it. If the success rate were that low, the business would dry up. Just does not ring true to me.

To me, traditional MC is like the weight loss gadgets/pills we see on TV. Way more failure that success but there's a whole lot of desperate people still buying it anyways.

I shelled out a good amount of cash in MC and it just made things worst. The jury is still out on MB with my case but I feel my chances are much better now.

--ElCamino72

BINGO, the ads have in small mouse type, "Results Not Typical"

Weight Loss, Start your Home Business, Get out of Debt, they all have the same disclaimers.

To be honest, Dr H has a big one as well, BOTH have to engage in the program. When they do, there is a greater success rate. However, it seems rare that both will engage in his program.

O
OP Offline
O
Biggest difference I have seen between MB and other types of marriage counseling.

MB is focused on actions and the belief that feelings follow actions.

When I talk to Steve, he is able to break everything down into actionable mechanics. If you do A, then B happens and the result is C.

When you see it laid out like that, almost like a mathematical equation, it's easy to see why it would work.

M
M
Larry,

If you are still reading I copied your post to my Managing Memories thread for further discussion.

Mark

_
_

By all means. And I am trying to work some more on the diatribe I mentioned.

Larry

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 623 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation