Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
BCboy Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks JL
Since I started this post I think I have begun to realize several things.
1) I allowed myself to be trained to think I was the problem
2) I will be setting standards she must attain in order to consider reconciliation.
3) I will be continuing on my current path, moving to a new job, getting comfortable being single
4) If and I mean if there is to be a chance of recovery she will have to admit her short comings and stop blaming me for her choices.
5) Admit to herself she needs help and actively seek it, and accept responsibility for her decisions.
6) That I am a decent caring guy and eventually if it is meant to be I will find someone who will be a good and faithful companion.
7) I need to stop ACCEPTING blame.
8) I will continue on the path I am on.
9) I have looked at the data and I don't like what I see. The prospects of R look bleak, she is not honest, she is not faithful, she is selfish, she is emotionally abusive.

I think I am finally beginning to see the reality of my situation and I am getting the picture. It is frightening to see what I was willing to overlook for fear of being lonely.

J
J
BCB,

Do you know the irony of all of this? You are a deeply religious man and a forgiving man. Yet, until you see things clearly, until you can really see your W for who and what she is, your forgiveness would be worthless. You would simply be forgiving your own imagination, not your real, in the flesh, human W.

Think about that.

God Bless,

JL

B
BCboy Offline OP
OP Offline
B
JL
I have been thinking over every word you have said. I am continuing to ponder what you said here.

I am not sure I deserve the title of a deeply religious man. I am just a guy trying to do my best at living and not cause any harm, and treat people how I would like to be treated.

I am trying to see the reality, and get my imagination out of the way. I think Bubbles attempted to shatter my imaginary world by giving me her view of my WW. And I have been pondering that as well.

I find it hard to comprehend that I could have loved someone who has the capacity to treat me in such a disrespectful and unloving manner.

I find it hard to comprehend that she has abandoned her moral compass, and chosen to commit adultery, in her attempt to find her happiness.

I find it hard to comprehend how weak and immoral we humans can be. How she can choose to be callous and hurtful. Or perhaps she does not even recognize it as she is only focused on filling her own selfish desires.

It is heartbreaking to see the impact of thoughtless, selfish desire on my family.

I find it hard to accept that she may be mentally ill. Many of our friends are shocked and amazed, puzzled and perplexed by her behaviour. I have people tell me they are astounded at what she is doing. They have tried to console me by telling me they are amazed at how I am holding up through this. In reality I think I have been in shock and disbelief. And I think the reality is finally starting to seep in. But maybe I am incapable of seeing it.

As you talk about forgiveness. It seems to me in order for there to be forgiveness from me there would have to be recognition, confession, and repentance from her.

I am grateful for one thing through this whole thing and it has driven me to my knees. It has forced me to understand the devastation and pain of a marriage breakdown, and it has caused me to develop compassion for others who have experienced a similar fate. It is hard to comprehend how painful it is.

JL - if I have missed something here, please tell me. I can be very thick at times.

Blessings
BCBoy

J
J
BCB,

You said:

I am not sure I deserve the title of a deeply religious man. I am just a guy trying to do my best at living and not cause any harm, and treat people how I would like to be treated.

Frankly, BCB the man you are trying to be is in my mind the definition of a deeply religious man. I cannot imagine a higher more profound definition, than a man that tries to do no harm, doing his best at living and treating people how he would like to be treated (The Golden Rule if memory serves me.).

I find it hard to comprehend that I could have loved someone who has the capacity to treat me in such a disrespectful and unloving manner.
I don�t. Your love is based in your faith and that faith is replete with lessons of how we are loved without deserving it. Further, good people have the ability to see good in people that perhaps isn�t even seen by the person themselves.

I find it hard to comprehend that she has abandoned her moral compass, and chosen to commit adultery, in her attempt to find her happiness.
She is lost right now BCB. It is clear she is lost and I suspect deep down even she knows it. But, you cannot change her journey. You can only be the best Dad to her children. You have waiting if not a marriage a good relationship with the kids so that she can reintegrate with them when she finds her way home. If she does not, she loses them of her own accord and choices. We are granted free choice. Churches are filled with folks that lost their moral compass at some point in their lives.

I find it hard to comprehend how weak and immoral we humans can be. How she can choose to be callous and hurtful. Or perhaps she does not even recognize it as she is only focused on filling her own selfish desires.
It only makes our success all the more amazing BCB. We all have our weakness and we battle them and when we succeed in overcoming them and fulfilling our potential the success is more the sweeter. It is the nature of our kind to struggle and try to be better.

It is heartbreaking to see the impact of thoughtless, selfish desire on my family.
BCB yes it is. But have you ever thought that your family and friends are learning valuable lessons from her choices? Have you ever thought that her actions may make your children�s families more stable and durable?

I find it hard to accept that she may be mentally ill. Many of our friends are shocked and amazed, puzzled and perplexed by her behaviour. I have people tell me they are astounded at what she is doing. They have tried to console me by telling me they are amazed at how I am holding up through this. In reality I think I have been in shock and disbelief. And I think the reality is finally starting to seep in. But maybe I am incapable of seeing it.
Whatever the reason the reality is her actions. You don�t have to accept a diagnosis, you just have to accept the actions as being real.

As you talk about forgiveness. It seems to me in order for there to be forgiveness from me there would have to be recognition, confession, and repentance from her.
Years ago, probably almost 10 years ago now there were a variety of threads on the issue and concept of forgiveness. I am sure others will chime in on this. My personal take is that forgiveness is the gift you give yourself and a gift that is not earned. I prefer to think that to take her back you need to forgive her, but you need also to see �recognition, confession and repentance� before you can accept her in your life. I think people confuse forgiveness with acceptance but then as you can tell I am into words and their nuances.

I am grateful for one thing through this whole thing and it has driven me to my knees. It has forced me to understand the devastation and pain of a marriage breakdown, and it has caused me to develop compassion for others who have experienced a similar fate. It is hard to comprehend how painful it is.
And it has made you a better man. It is leading you to understand what a good relationship really is and what you need as well as the other person in a relationship. You are learning about yourself BCB and that is a very very good thing.

BCB, as you see the data, as you continue on your journey I truly think that you will come to the fork in the road and the correct path will be obvious to you. So don�t worry so much about this and spend more time focused on your children and your life right now.

God Bless,

JL

B
BCboy Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Now this is just one of those amazing coincidences that happen in life. I just finished reading the post from JL and this arrived in my email.

'Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

A sharp tongue can cut your own throat.

If you want your dreams to come true, you mustn't oversleep.
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important.

The best vitamin for making friends...... B1.

The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts.

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge.

One thing you can give and still keep....is your word.

You lie the loudest when you lie to yourself.

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Ideas won't work unless ' You' do.

Your mind is like a parachute...it functions only when open

The 10 commandments are not a multiple choice.

The pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime!

Life is too short to wake up with regrets... So love the people who treat you right... Pray for the Ones who don't. Believe everything happens for a Reason. If you get a second chance, grab it with both Hands. If it changes your life, let it. Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

Friends are like balloons; once you let them go, you might not get them back. Sometimes we get so busy with our own Lives and problems that we may not even notice that we've let them fly away. Sometimes we are so caught up in who's right and who's wrong that we forget what's right and wrong... Sometimes we just don�t realize what real friendship means until it Is too late. I don't want to let that happen so I'm going to tie you to my heart so I never lose you...

As quoted in the Blues Brothers "The Lord works in mysterious ways"

And thanks JL you seem to find a way to always touch my heart and my mind. You have been a real encouragement and I appreciate it.

J
J
BCB,

I am glad you find what I have to say useful from time to time.

And yes what was sent you seems very much in line with the discussion on this thread.

God Bless,

JL

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 490 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation