Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
M
Originally Posted by _Larry_
And to answer MrsW's question, it was an ONS many decades ago during withdrawal/divorce. No exposure, but it did lead to a personal examination and change in my honor system.

Larry

skeptical

Originally Posted by Larry
Uzzah:

Sorry, you don't get my point. Let me make myself more clear. And I do have an understanding that in your belief, the emotions are the same and your further belief that only someone who has walked in your shoes could understand that point.

Did you miss what I said, that I have been on both ends of the stick?

My point is that the entrance into an infatuation based affair is different by definition than the entrance into an infatuation based on both parties being available. The chemistry is NOT the same, IMHO and from my own life experience.

My point is that because the entrance has overtones of deceit, deception and the choice to betray, the emotions felt are "colored," or distorted by those other emotions, emotions that are not present when the infatuation is the reaction to the chemistry between two people who are otherwise available - not married or in a committed relationship.

In addition, the mental pro! cessing of those emotions is different between the two types of infatuation. So is the often made choice of who to have the infatuation with - someone you wouldn't pick in a million years if you were available and unencumbered. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

You may have been in a mental condition whereby you are the exception, for reason or reasons you have not revealed by personal anecdote. My statements cover those conditions that apply to me and apply to a number of infatuations about which I have read or discussed with those who engaged in them, including my wife's.

Years ago, I walked in your shoes. I have also had what I call a "Good" infatuation - several times in my life. I have also had several that turned out bad, but had no long term ramifications because I was available so you could call them "Good" when I went into them.

The fullness of time and a real good memory served me well when I found myself having to deal! with the problem from a different perspective, that of BS ins! tead of WS. I thought I understood my wife and how to help her inasmuch as any man can understand a woman. And she will be quick to tell you that I did know what to do and she is glad I did.

Perhaps you are attempting to justify, as someone suggested. Maybe yes, maybe no. Would you mind providing enough information to substantiate your viewpoint?

I do agree with you point:

Quote:
By labeling something "good" and "bad" all we are really doing is making ourselves feel superior. It doesn't help a junkie to point out to them that what they are doing is "bad". They already know that.

I label what I believe to be the several different types of infatuations as "good" and as "bad," because I couldn't come up with any other label.

I do believe that chemistry between two people, one or both of whom are NOT available for an atta! chment as defined by the vows they took, does have elements of ACTION and REACTION based elements that might be defined as their ability to process consequences if they allowed their precursor emotions to overwhelm them.

In other words, their ability to forcast consequences of an affair distort the emotions they feel. Hey we all go through life dealing with attractions. That is just the way it is. We are never really able to ignore that good looking babe who gives us a smile or the hunk with the big shoulders.

Maybe that is what you are talking about. If it is, I am addressing the emotions felt when someone makes a choice to enter into an affair based on the emotions, or even allows those emotions to be more than a transient thought and not killed by certain knowledge of consequences, otherwise known as a conscious.

Link to thread

That post, along with other stuff I've read, gave me the impression of more than a ONS...I could be wrong...dontknow

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

S
S

From a FWW ( LONG time ago, but I still remember):

1. Did you want to end your A, but did not know how?
An EA. I did end it. I knew it was wrong. At the time I was considering leaving my husband. Also, at the time I was stupid about what marriage meant. And stupid about what MY marriage meant to me.

2. Did you fear that if you "dumped" OW, she would expose the A?
I never was afraid of exposure. OM had as much to lose as I did. At that time, I thought I had nothing to lose. When I ended it, it turned out I had everything to lose, and so did he. Strange how these things turn around in the face of reality.

3. Did you hope OW would "dump" you?
I guess if the OM was going to "dump" me, I would have hoped he dumped me the way I dumped him. I told him the truth. I told him that what we were doing was wrong, and that the feelings I was having were clouding my feelings for my life. I also said that I wanted to decide on my marriage based on the feelings about the marriage, not based on whatever it was that seemed to be a fantasy with him. And that besides all of that, I could never see a future with him, as everything in my life was very messed up, and I was messing it up.

4. Were you somehow relieved once the whole thing was out in the open?

I was relieved because my life was calmer. I needed to be able to think clearly, and the idea that I had placed myself into a position of leaving what I thought was a marriage "on the rocks" to go into an EMR with OM was insane to me. Then, I realized that the whole thing was just stupid - that I really wanted NEITHER a marriage on the rocks NOR an EMR. What I wanted was a REAL LIFE. I didn't want a fantasy, I didn't want anything but my love for my husband and that marriage back again.

Somewhere in there, was the relief in knowing that getting rid of OM and focusing on my marriage was all the "deciding" I had to do. The rest sort of came like a boot to the head.

Lucky to be where I am, in a safe place to get marriage-related support.
Recovered.
Happy.
Most recent D-day Fall 2005
Our new marriage began that day. Not easily, but it did happen.
P
OP Offline
P
Just out of curiosity, and to help my learning, what questions would you have asked of a WW. Is there a difference between WH and WW?

Larry

I'll give it some thought.
However, I will say, I did start an entire thread about WW-thinking, and many, many peeps tried to apply my thoughts about WW to OW's thoughts, and to their WH's thoughts ... which I thought was ill advised, as well.
The "run of the mill WW" thread

I don't think a WH who had ONE ONS can answer the questions I posed on this thread.

P
OP Offline
P
Is there a difference between WH and WW?

I think there are many profound differences.
There are also similarities, typical of most infidels.

There is less clutter in my brain if I separate the two.

So, that's what I do. smile

S
S
I think there are differences between WW and WH.

Science shows there are differences.

SB

Lucky to be where I am, in a safe place to get marriage-related support.
Recovered.
Happy.
Most recent D-day Fall 2005
Our new marriage began that day. Not easily, but it did happen.
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by schoolbus
I think there are differences between WW and WH.

Science shows there are differences.

SB

Cite please, and thank you.

_
_

Thanks Pep. And you are right (as usual) WW and WH are different in many ways. My post was irrelevant and should not have been done. Sorry!

MrsW. Yes, you are mistaken. I read the post and it was centered around good versus bad infatuations. Thank you for asking.

Larry

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks Pep. And you are right (as usual) WW and WH are different in many ways. My post was irrelevant and should not have been done. Sorry!

It doesn't bother me Larry.
It's just not how I roll when I am trying to figure something out.
To me, it's like asking one question, but answering a different question.
BUT, it doesn't bother me when someone else does this, not really.

I just ignore it rotflmao
(I'm high on prednisone, that's MY excuse)

M
M

MrsW. Yes, you are mistaken. I read the post and it was centered around good versus bad infatuations. Thank you for asking.

Larry

I see.

Larry, I've seen you post a couple of times now about how you changed your "honor system"...I'd be interested to hear about that in detail on another thread if you please...

I'll leave Pep's thread to it's original purpose now...

Thanks!

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by MrsWondering

Larry

I see.

Larry, I've seen you post a couple of times now about how you changed your "honor system"...I'd be interested to hear about that in detail on another thread if you please...

Thanks!

Mrs. W

I don't mind, Mrs Dubya.
This thread is cold anyway.

_
_

Pep

prednisone

Of course you KNOW I spent several years looking up (and reading) drug cards. That is just too funny. And something to think about.

rotflmao

Larry

M
M
Originally Posted by Pepperband

Larry

I see.

Thanks!

Mrs. W

I don't mind, Mrs Dubya.
This thread is cold anyway.

Well then, if I may...Your comment about Prednisone and being "high"...Really? DD10 is finishing a 5 day course of this today - I didn't know it did that! For real?

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

M
M
Larry,

After that divorce, did you end up marrying the person you had the ONS with?

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

P
OP Offline
P
Well then, if I may...Your comment about Prednisone and being "high"...Really? DD10 is finishing a 5 day course of this today - I didn't know it did that! For real?

Mrs. W

It can alter a person's mood.
It effects people differently.
Me, it makes me feel ready to take on the world.
This time, I am on a really low dose, so I'm not as "energetic" as I can get on this stuff.
Taken before bed, I cannot sleep because I have "so many brilliant ideas"
[Linked Image from millan.net]

Yeah, MrRollieEyes riiiiiiiiiiight!

M
M

Larry

But you followed up that post to Uzzah with the following one:

Uzzah

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consider this...as much as you would like your spouse to forget about OP, any repentent WS WOULD LIKE IT 1000 TIMES MORE THAN YOU. But, it's not just a matter of wishing it to be. That's why I suggested acknowledging the feelings, and learning how to deal with them. Stating, out of fear, that they don't really exist, or that they shouldn't and that a "strong" person could just wish them away is denial, or make-believe. For a WS to move on, in a healthy manner, means dealing with things honestly, and dealing with them now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What you have said here is entirely different from what I believe you have said in the past. What you meant then is obviously what you mean now and I take it differently.

From my perspective as a FWS (prior marriage) and a BS, I was and am attempting to help a WS deal with their feelings by explaining the foundation of infatuations.

Of course the feelings are real, that cannot be denied.

My point, in an effort to help FWS, which in your case I have done poorly, is to help the FWS to understand that the foundation for the feelings created a situation where the feelings themselves are "False," not positive.

It is difficult to hang on to feelings for a cardboard cutout. But it is hard to let go of feelings that are based on lies and dishonesty because of validation processes in our brain.

Let me explain by using an example that was posted elsewhere.

One lady said that during her available years, she would get infatuated with a male. Then over time, she would wake up one morning with a "gnaw off the arm" feeling. I think it was 10swords who said it. In 25 years she has never had the feeling with Mr. I.

My point has been and I will keep trying to explain it, is that valid feelings upon which an infutation are based as a precursor to love, get processed by the brain in a different way than invalid feelings caused by the entry to and the continuance of an affair.

It is harder to hang on to invalid feelings of a real person than it is to deal with invalid feelings of a cardboard cutout.

Ok, without labels, feelings from an affair are more difficult for the brain to deal with than if those feelings had been based on a situation without the overtones of an affair.

I would expect that everyone would agree with this. The reason is obvious. Our egos want to justify what we did anyway possible. This is like the 11 year old boy who lies his face off in spite of evidence in front of him. Nobody wants to totally admit they unleashed the critter in themselves without some validation, some tiny excuse.

Quote:

repentent WS WOULD LIKE IT 1000 TIMES MORE THAN YOU. But, it's not just a matter of wishing it to be.

Ok, so the task becomes how to process the feelings.

I respectfully suggest, from my own experiences and the experiences of others I have interviewed, that if the feelings can be processed as invalid because of the foundation upon which they were based, they become easier to deal with.

In other words, the feelings are based on the image of the OP that turns out to be feelings for a cardboard cutout and thus at a point, you get this gnaw off the leg feeling instead of hanging on.

YOu get to the same place as you get when you out process a valid infatuation that goes nowhere. The feelings of guilt no longer has a hold on the brain that causes the positive images of the OP to stay with us.

Am I making sense, finally?

You speak to UZZAH of KNOWING the FWS perspective. Is such perspective based solely upon a ONS?

Mr. Wondering

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
P
OP Offline
P
Meanwhile .... [Linked Image from millan.net] I am enjoying the Schoolbus/Papasita exchange.

(the smiley has no actual relevance, I just like it)

_
_
MrsW

With Pep's permission given, I won't take up more of her thread by discussing here the query beyond:

the subject probably belongs under "Other Topics." The short answer is threefold: Acceptance of the consequences of what one does in life, a personal responsibility for doing no harm irrespective of personal gain or loss and honesty. This does not mean never making a mistake, but rather the dealing with mistakes made.

In your investigation, I am certain you will find more than one time when I screwed up, admitted it and apologized. I would even bet you can find something where I did screw up and didn't admit it. I don't claim any omniscience of discovery.

In my view, an honor system is seldom static except as a force for personal integrity. Thus, the modification of my own as I grow and learn. That is my view. We all live and learn or at least try as best we can.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to explain. And thank you Pep for allowing your thread to be used. MrsW isn't real happy with me right now, nor me with her. Perhaps a general clearing of the air would be helpful.

Larry

L
L
Larry:

You have been having abad couple of days around here.

Who did you piss off?

LG

_
_

rotflmao

Was that a rhetorical question?

Obviously I did, somehow. grin

Larry

M
M
Perhaps a general clearing of the air would be helpful

Your divorced/divorcing thread will do

Mr. W

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 173 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
peppa, RP4280, Philip Pitre, ClarencePeterson, ColsDawg
71,872 Registered Users
Latest Posts
Spying on Wife's phone without getting caught?
by ClarencePeterson - 09/22/24 08:59 PM
Depression
by ClarencePeterson - 09/22/24 11:19 AM
Separated/Dating
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 08:58 PM
Child activities
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 08:56 PM
Loss of libido/Sexual Attraction
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 06:10 AM
Involucrar o no a la familia por apoyo
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 06:09 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,607
Posts2,323,424
Members71,872
Most Online3,185
Jan 27th, 2020
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2024, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation