Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 22 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 21 22
T
T
Originally Posted by mr_anderson
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
When you are in happy marriage that is open and honest and pleasant, you will not enjoy the fights. Once you become INTIMATE in your marriage, you will see how very damaging they are.
sure and when you are in that state of intimacy...should a fight (not a physical fight) not drain your love bank to a negative that its now takes a week or longer of him having to run the gauntlet of meeting your EN's before you can be intimate again?

BTW, every couple regardless of what state their marriage is in will have an argument or two or three at some point in their marriage...

I must have mnissed whn you first poted that ML.

You are SO right. If I had O&H in a healthy relationship, then I would definitely not want fights.

As it is, right now I actually WANT fights sometimes, because that seems like the only way we can be O&H. Boy, is that disfunctional? And I didn't even recognixze it until you just posted that!

M
M
sure and when you are in that state of intimacy...should a fight (not a physical fight) not drain your love bank to a negative that its now takes a week or longer of him having to run the gauntlet of meeting your EN's before you can be intimate again?

I disagree with this because a single nasty fight can wipe out a full lovebank. My lovebank is very full [and I have proof of this] but I assure you that a nasty fight would have a devastating effect that would take a week from which to overcome. It is much harder to recover from fights when you are in a state of intimacy than NOT. Before we were in a state of intimacy there wasn't much to lose anyway because we weren't emotionally close. There is a huge contrast effect.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

C
C
Originally Posted by thinkinitthru66
Chris, your response to this is really reactive.

Not really. I am just trying to be entertaining while stating my POV.

I THINK that's what CFIO was asking you to do. I really don't think he was playing games or trying to be sarcastic (although I can see how one might take it that way).

I THINK he wanted me to pick out some specific items for refutation. It's a game I will not play. I know better now. He has stated that he has read the entire thread and has alredy not come to the same conclusion as me; therefore, what reason could he have for wanting me to pick out specific posts?

Are you about to tell any of the males about their "reactive" answers?

C
C
Originally Posted by markos
I always thought that was something that was supposed to take place after the anger and hurt, i.e., once the couple has made up.

Markos, Some couples do.

Question: Have you experienced this with your wife?

Last edited by ChrisInNOVA; 04/21/10 01:10 PM.
M
M
[

I must have mnissed whn you first poted that ML.

You are SO right. If I had O&H in a healthy relationship, then I would definitely not want fights.

As it is, right now I actually WANT fights sometimes, because that seems like the only way we can be O&H. Boy, is that disfunctional? And I didn't even recognixze it until you just posted that!

OMIGOSH, you bring back so many memories. Our marriage was so BAD and we were so dishonest with our feelings that a fight was actually an IMPROVEMENT at one time. faint

I can relate completely to what you are saying, TTT. And yes, it is dysfunctional and yes, you can change this!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

C
C
That doesn't surprise me at all Luri. You notice that not one of those "top needs" is one of the INTIMATE emotional needs?

Please post a link to where the ENs are classified as "intimate" and "not intimate" by Marriagebuilders.

Thanks.

C
C
Why are people here @ MB saying "fighting" is healthy?

A healthy marriage involves discussion of differences - not the AOs, SDs, and DJs which come with a "fight." AOs, DJs, and SDs are Love Busters!

H
H
This is hard work on both sides, hence the strong emotions.

I wish that it were not so difficult for my wife to feel emotionally close or to enjoy the physical sensations from sex. If it were easier for her to feel that way, maybe she would consent to sex more frequently.

My wife wishes sex was not important to me. If it were easier for me to remain in the State of Intimacy without sex, then maybe I would meet her ENs more frequently.

Marriage is hard work. Some of us find it inspriational. Some of us find it daunting, to the point where we have given up.

Sex tends to be the arena in which this is played out because it is typically more difficult than other ENs to provide when not in the mood or to obtain when one's partner is not forthcoming. It tends to arouse strong passions, although many times in opposition rather than in favor.

This argument will likely never end as long as the typical male produces more testosterone than the typical female.

When you can see it coming, duck!
S
S

I disagree with this because a single nasty fight can wipe out a full lovebank. My lovebank is very full [and I have proof of this] but I assure you that a nasty fight would have a devastating effect that would take a week from which to overcome. It is much harder to recover from fights when you are in a state of intimacy than NOT. Before we were in a state of intimacy there wasn't much to lose anyway because we weren't emotionally close. There is a huge contrast effect.

Wow, maybe this is why I am so afraid of intimacy...we've sure had some nasty fights....

M
M

Arguing is still a form of communication and some people aren't good at communicating and when arguments/disagreements arise, they get defensive and lose their cool.

There is an effective way to argue and not lose control and let it turn into a nasty fight and make huge withdrawals from each other's love banks.

M
M
Originally Posted by ChrisInNOVA
[

Please post a link to where the ENs are classified as "intimate" and "not intimate" by Marriagebuilders.

Thanks.

I don't have time to look for links, but he does discuss this in his book Effective Marriage Counseling. He classifies 4 needs, Conversation, Sexual fulfillment, Affection and Recreational companionship as "intimate" emotional needs that make the GREATEST lovebank deposits. Mark covers this somewhat in this post: here

Exposure 101

C
C
There is an effective way to argue and not lose control and let it turn into a nasty fight and make huge withdrawals from each other's love banks.

Is that POJAing?

Methinks - yes.

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi3350_guide.html

Last edited by ChrisInNOVA; 04/21/10 01:25 PM.
C
C
I don't have time to look for links, but he does discuss this in his book Effective Marriage Counseling. He classifies 4 needs, Conversation, Sexual fulfillment, Affection and Recreational companionship as "intimate" emotional needs that make the GREATEST lovebank deposits. Mark covers this somewhat in this post: here

Thanks!

M
M
quote]
Arguing is still a form of communication and some people aren't good at communicating and when arguments/disagreements arise, they get defensive and lose their cool.

Arguing is a lovebuster, and not effective "communication." Arguing is not recommended anywhere by Marriage Builders. What MB teaches is respectful negotiation. Four Guidelines for Successful Negotiation

Exposure 101

M
M
Why are people here @ MB saying "fighting" is healthy?

A healthy marriage involves discussion of differences - not the AOs, SDs, and DJs which come with a "fight." AOs, DJs, and SDs are Love Busters!

Bingo!

Exposure 101

C
C
Melody,

Question: Why does it take you a week to "recover" from an arguement?

Thanks.

J
J
Originally Posted by Cantfigureitout
JUST ONCE... I would have liked to have 'MAKEUP SEX'!!! Never had it before, and it seems like the MAXIMAL reconnect to ME!!!

There is no such thing as "make up sex." If my H and I have done something that needs to be "made up" for, usually a fight of some sort, then I am not going near him for at least a week. After a fight, I can't STAND HIM, much less have sex with him. The thought of make up sex when I am angry, hurt, whatever, is repulsive.

WOULD YOU BE OPPOSED to a makeup BACKRUB, FLOWERS, and a NIGHT ON THE TOWN? (feel free to insert any and all of your emotional needs instead)

M
M
[

Thanks.

It's also in I Promise You and His Needs, Her Needs For Parents, I think. Those are the four intimate needs. IPY mentions that at one point Dr. Harley thought about telling people to just focus on those needs, alone, regardless.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
J
J
One of the best ways of diffusing anger and conflict is by reflective listening. That is, to listen (or read) what someone has said, and repeat it back tothem in order to reach a mutual understanding.

Isnt that called "mirroring?" I have found that practice INFURIATING because it never fails that the person who repeats it back gets it wrong. We have some board members who do this and it always annoys me.

Then it is even MORE important. Because if they 'reflect' back what they thought you said, and get it wrong, wouldn't you want them to understand it and get it right? Or would you rather they sit in ignorance of what you truly meant, and work with what they THINK you meant?

Personally I would rather them reflect incorrectly so I can restate my point, than sit there and THINK they understand what I mean, with them 'understanding' something completely differently from my intent.

IMO

C
C
Originally Posted by Cantfigureitout
WOULD YOU BE OPPOSED to a makeup BACKRUB, FLOWERS, and a NIGHT ON THE TOWN? (feel free to insert any and all of your emotional needs instead)

Yes - In absentia of real and respectful communication that's just as empty & pointless as "make up sex".

Page 16 of 22 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (anchorwatch), 193 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
peppa, RP4280, Philip Pitre, ClarencePeterson, ColsDawg
71,872 Registered Users
Latest Posts
Spying on Wife's phone without getting caught?
by ClarencePeterson - 09/22/24 08:59 PM
Depression
by ClarencePeterson - 09/22/24 11:19 AM
Separated/Dating
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 08:58 PM
Child activities
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 08:56 PM
Loss of libido/Sexual Attraction
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 06:10 AM
Involucrar o no a la familia por apoyo
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 06:09 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,607
Posts2,323,424
Members71,872
Most Online3,185
Jan 27th, 2020
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2024, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation