Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 38 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 37 38
G
Gdar Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by mr_anderson
Originally Posted by Gdar
And may I be frank? Thank you.

The reason I have had such an issue with the Sf lately, besides just the fact I like and miss the frequency:

when I was on bed rest with our 4 year old, I heard on a daily basis "your mouth is not broken, right"? (joking, but not) or he wanted other stimulation. Which, I was fine with until it felt like it was not about intimacy at all, but a release. Like I was just a release. Then, when I was pregnant with (our) #2 and put on bed rest, he still wanted/needed/expected regular SF, even if I was not allowed to by Dr's orders. We went less than 2 weeks without it (maybe 6 days?) and he starts an EA and starts to complain to me about how I was not putting out. Mind you, I was on bed rest, our previous child was born a month early (I went into labor right after we SF'd) and spent TWO WEEKS in the NICU and almost DIED, and he is still needing consistent SF. When we go to counseling after I find out about EA, he gets a Get Out of Jail Free Card because I didnt meet his needs. For 6 days. Really? I didnt get a health reprieve?

So, here we are and the rolls are reversed and there is not a health issue. But I am expected (total DJ, I know) to just wait until he isnt too tired? How unfair is that?
so now you have SF at the drop of a hat...he walks through the door and its SF time...you feel you have to keep him soooo satisfied to keep him from having anymore affairs...that's what I get from this story...

so what happens if you (God forbid) really get sick and you aren't able to or really feel like any type of SF? do you trust your hubby enough to go 6 months without SF and stay faithful to his vows to you?

granted SF is your number 1 need and you need to have your needs met, but honestly...I'm a man with SF as his number 1 need too, but IF I'd had sex last night, this morning and my wife wanted again when I walked into the door...honestly, I'm already satisfied and may really not be in the mood, at that moment, or even later that evening and may even be put off from the advances...I don't need sex 3 times a day to prove to me I'm loved, yet SF IS my number 1. i may feel a little used...but that's just me...I'm happy with sex twice a week...some nights it's nice just to lie together and cuddle, without sex...

He was the one that told me we would have SF when he got home. Since I had asked for it that morning and we did not, that is when he said we would when he got home later that day. Since (besides this past week), we went from darn near daily to once in 2 weeks (which again, even after child birth we did not go that long) recently, I was enjoying getting back into the swing of things. I understand what you are saying, though. I do not feel I am needing to SF all of the time to keep him from straying. The only time I felt like that was right after the EA. I am secure in my sexuality, but I understand from the outside, most people would view my drive as having some sort of issues that I am "using" SF to cure.

You are also right about if I got sick. I have asked myself that question so many times, I have lost count. It is one of the things I wanted to talk about at some point with my IC/MC. That I do not have much faith that my H would be there for me if I really needed him to be. I have never felt he was before, then the EA in the situation I was in, well... it is a sad thing to feel. I wish I felt differently.

My best friend went through breast cancer right when we turned 30. Her partner at the time was horribly unsupportive and downright cruel at times to her. "Quit acting like you are the only person on the planet with cancer" he said to her more than a few times. Sickening. Watching her go through that, then deal with it on her own as a single parent was heartbreaking. We ( best friend and I) have talked about it before, about how if something like that happened to me, that I am not sure my M would survive.

BS: 37
FWH: 37
EA: 2 months, ending June 08
Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
G
Gdar Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thank you, OH. Great points, and it talked me down a little (meaning talked me down from picking a battle that would not be healthy).

So... now I am going to try and not DJ in my head how the conversation will go when I bring up how he spoke in front of my son. He has said something along these lines about 4 times in the last week alone, and has been very curt, short and annoyed anytime they speak. This is not like him. It has also been 3 solid weeks of day in/day out 24/7 since my older two have seen their father because of his work travel. I think he was acting out because he (and we) need a break.

Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
G
Gdar Offline OP
OP Offline
G
So, last night when our SF did not work out, I left the bedroom (this was around 8 pm) and told him he seemed he could use some extra sleep, so he went to sleep. I came out and chatted with Jayne and Retread (thank you both, I needed the support) until damn near midnight.

This morning I was not expecting SF, I did not pursue it, either. He got up a bit earlier than he has been lately and started getting ready to go to work. Made a couple of comments to my son about him needing to be ready to go right that very moment, and when my son told him was eating toast, my H told him to hurry it up. Then H proceeds to spend the next 20 minutes in the kitchen preparing ribs for a BBQ he is doing at work. The BBQ he has known about for 2 weeks, but shopped for (and told me about) last night on his way home, when he was already an hour later than he said he would be to get home. Back tracking a bit, he told me last night when he got home "I need to take your van to work tomorrow" (because the BBQ does not fit in his car). He did not ask, just told me. Did not put the car seats for the kids into his car, so I am here today with no way to go anyplace. I suppose this would be a DJ to say my H assumes I have nothing to do today, or anyplace to go.

I told him last night my van was out of gas. I had just noticed it right before I got back home yesterday from the grocery store. This seems to annoy him. But again, he never drives m van, so me being out of gas is simply something I would just take care of next time I got in it. To me, it is a non issue. You run out of gas, you get more. Thats it. So this morning while he is loading up bags of food and whatnot into my van, he says "you are out of gas, arent you - I dont have TIME for this", then "look, I don't even have enough to get down the hill"!

I did not respond other than "Yes, I told you last night I ran out of gas, I am sorry". Quick peck and off he went.

Standing still, LA. I am standing still. Starting to feel like treading water, but it is the best I can do today.

Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
W
W
I take out puppy, iron his clothes, hop in shower for myself and to comb DD hair, get myself, 4 yr old and 2 yr old showered, fed and dressed. Take out puppy again, then crate her and THEN I go, with a 4 and 2 yr old in tow.

Again, we have the same amount of time to be someplace at the same time. I have crammed in care for 4 people to get out the door. He got to leave with care for 1.

Mornings like this usually get me upset. Today, I let it roll off my back. I am no worse for wear, either. Not bad!

I think what you have to do is permanently assign him tasks. Ironing is to be done the night before.

I remember when my oldest was a baby, I would nurse her in the morning and I wanted him to get her dressed (so he would spend time with her too). He said "If I have time". I said something like: "You have time to take a shower, you have time to get dressed, you have time to brush your teeth. Make the time for this too." He did.

I find also with my kids if there is someone else (sister) who could possibly do a task (how come she doesn't have to do it!) I get more resistance than if I say "This is your task, this is her task"...or "You help with dinner on even days and help with dishes on odd days"...they accept this.

G
Gdar Offline OP
OP Offline
G
My kids are much more accepting to that, and it works for them (us).

Now, nothing sticks with my H.

Nothing.

I have tried so many approaches/ideas. BTDT, nothing sticks.

Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
W
W
Originally Posted by CWMI
G, I solved the dinner thing by serving it at the same time daily, whether he participated or not. It's on the table at 6:30. The thing about having family dinner, if it is set at a time when everyone can make it if they try, the person who doesn't make it is the one who feels the loss the most. They're the one who eats alone.

There is a big difference between arranging the family around an odd but predictable schedule, and arranging around an erratic one. Go for the predictable when it comes to the kids. They need the structure, whether your H decides to give it or not.

The only problem with this is that unless the "late" person cares that they eat with everyone, then they slowly get estranged from everyone else.
My oldest daughter requires 3 or 4 calls upstairs to get her up on a weekend for breakfast. It would be easier for me to not bother and let her eat cold food. I don't think she would care if she ate alone or ate cold food. But she is 16 and I know it is better for her in the long run if I make her eat with us.

My DH got used to not eating dinner with us at all during the week.

I would POJA a time with your husband for dinner that he thinks he can make 90% of the time and then stick to it. If he misses too many then re-POJA it.

W
W
Work stress.

Then our annoying neighbors added fuel to the fire this evening when H and I and the kids were out front with the puppy. "Oh, you are SO accomplished for your age, it is so impressive". They are looking at both of us, but it is clearly directed at my H. I try and lighten it up with "oh, you mean because I have birthed a bunch of kids, I could do it in my sleep". She half-laughs and looks at my H, "my son is older than you and has half the experience you do. So impressive".

This was a perfect time to make some Admiration Deposits!
"You mean DH? Yes, I am so proud of him!"

G
Gdar Offline OP
OP Offline
G
So, I am having another one of those over-tired days. I mentioned before, I had blood work up done, and ruled out anything physical that would be contributing to me feeling like this all of the time. I am way behind on how I normally keep the house up. It looks terrible and I do not even know where to start, let alone have a single physical motivation to do so. I am just spent. I even tried to nap when the younger 2 napped, but I do not feel more rested.

My H has been talking about hosting a BBQ here for some of his friends (so the one I cannot stand will be coming over). When he expressed interest in doing that, I asked if he would be willing to do things around the house to prepare for it, and he agreed. He picked up a little bit downstairs the other night, but we have a 3 story house. I did thank him for picking up those few items. Honestly, I am not sure what it is he did, because it still looks like a trainwreck to me with things all over the place. He did take out the trash, though.

Well, here it is Friday. The agreement we made was to have the BBQ on Sunday, and he and I would have a date day to go wine tasting tomorrow (Sat). Well, that fell through because we cannot find a babysitter. Without talking to me about changing the BBQ to tomorrow, when we talked about it last night, he said that the weather will be better tomorrow, so he just assumed I knew we would have it tomorrow.

The house is a mess. A lot needs to be done before it is ready to host people over, especially when his friend and his wife and child will be staying over (again, nothing he has discussed with me previous, this is just what takes place when they come to visit - they live 45 min away), because that adds an extra bedroom and bathroom to the list of things to do.

Since a clean house is not a concern to my H and he says his friends do not care if that house is messy, I am sitting here trying not to stress out about it. But it IS important to me to have a clean house for company. If we have the BBQ tomorrow, that puts me cleaning all day. it is already 1:30, I am exhausted and physically incapable right now of getting much done. My H worked hard all week and will not want to come home to clean on a Fri night (not DJing, just knowing from past history). So, last weekend when we had this discussion about getting the house ready for company and he agreed, here is Friday afternoon and the only thing that has happened was the trash taken out and a ladder moved (that had been downstairs for a month when he put up the screen).

Help me find the motivation. I have no idea why I am so tired like this. This task ahead of me is anything but enthusiastic because A) I am too tired and B) I do not feel up to company and C) I do not even LIKE the company.

Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
G
Gdar Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by wannabophim
Work stress.

Then our annoying neighbors added fuel to the fire this evening when H and I and the kids were out front with the puppy. "Oh, you are SO accomplished for your age, it is so impressive". They are looking at both of us, but it is clearly directed at my H. I try and lighten it up with "oh, you mean because I have birthed a bunch of kids, I could do it in my sleep". She half-laughs and looks at my H, "my son is older than you and has half the experience you do. So impressive".

This was a perfect time to make some Admiration Deposits!
"You mean DH? Yes, I am so proud of him!"

I agree I had the opportunity here and I missed it. He was just SO stressed out yesterday and it felt more like adding pressure than being admiring, if that makes any sense?

Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
C
C
G, have you told your H that you're not up for hosting his friends? That you don't even like these people?

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
G
Gdar Offline OP
OP Offline
G
G, have you told your H that you're not up for hosting his friends? That you don't even like these people?

More times than I can count. Back before we started having issues, this was the only area we struggled. It was the only thing we argued about. He always defends his friend.

I do like the guy's wife. She is nice. Would I choose to hang out with her on my own? No.

ETA: Since he knows I do not like him, he will have a big BBQ, and invite a few other people over to give me a buffer, but most of the time it ends up just being his friend.

Last edited by Gdar; 05/28/10 04:00 PM.

Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
C
C
Then how about you attempt a POJA that he stays home, with the kids and his friends he knows you don't care for, and you spend the day at the winery?

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
G
Gdar Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Then how about you attempt a POJA that he stays home, with the kids and his friends he knows you don't care for, and you spend the day at the winery?

This IS an option, and I looked into it! smile All of my friends have prior plans, being it is a 3 day weekend. I do not want to go alone.

Also, I do not want the guy's wife to feel like I do not like her by leaving. Since I cannot stand going to their house (it is kind of gross), my H goes over there and I stay behind. If I leave while she is here, then it will appear I am trying to avoid her, and I do not want her to feel that way.

Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
C
C
psst...ask her to go with you. lol.

(Oscar Wilde)
K
K

This IS an option, and I looked into it! smile All of my friends have prior plans, being it is a 3 day weekend. I do not want to go alone.

Also, I do not want the guy's wife to feel like I do not like her by leaving. Since I cannot stand going to their house (it is kind of gross), my H goes over there and I stay behind. If I leave while she is here, then it will appear I am trying to avoid her, and I do not want her to feel that way.

You could always throw a rock through their window with a note wraped around it saying "do not ever go to (list your address) again." Then sign it anonymus. She'll never know it was you and they'll never come over again!

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

G
Gdar Offline OP
OP Offline
G
psst...ask her to go with you. lol.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh! Ahahahaa. I am so tired, I totally missed your point. That is negotiable, sure. I can talk to H about it. Knowing her H, he will not let her go (cuz then he would have to watch his kid), but it is worth a shot.

Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
G
Gdar Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by kilted_thrower
You could always throw a rock through their window with a note wraped around it saying "do not ever go to (list your address) again." Then sign it anonymus. She'll never know it was you and they'll never come over again!

Hahahaaa!! laugh

I did sent him a scathing email once and told him that my house was not a bachelor pad, not a party place, not a motel - that he is damn near 40 and if he just HAS to come over and visit and stay the night, he was old enough to rent a room at a motel! That worked for about 6 months, then the "brovernights" started back up again. Not near as much as they used to, but they still happen.

Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
G
Gdar Offline OP
OP Offline
G
and I just realized I have not been kid/duty free in 504 hours.

OMG.

Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
N
N
Are these the men who come over, get drunk, and crash at your house overnight, even though you have kids at the house? Do they still do this? Who would be enthusiastic about this around your kids?!

(((Hugs))) Better days are ahead

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
G
Gdar Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
Are these the men who come over, get drunk, and crash at your house overnight, even though you have kids at the house? Do they still do this? Who would be enthusiastic about this around your kids?!

(((Hugs))) Better days are ahead

Yes. Well, not men plural (sometimes there are 2), but yes. Once, the guy I cannot stand actually went into my son's bedroom (he was 10/11 at the time) at FIVE in the morning and told my son to get up and go sleep on the couch so he could have his bed.

Our M was not pretty for a while after that one.

My H feels that since our house is large and his friend is poor, and "at least we aren't out at the bars getting drunk", this behavior is fine. No, I do not agree. No, we have never seem to find an agreement that he has stuck to.

Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
Page 11 of 38 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 37 38

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,188 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation